Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Online gaming addicted

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by DeathMaster, Aug 28, 2010.

1. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

OT: Online gaming addicted

Saw this story and I think some here would be able to sue if this guy can win.

A US FEDERAL judge has ruled that a man who says he's psychologically dependent and addicted to an online video game can proceed with some of his lawsuit against the game's South Korean manufacturer.

Craig Smallwood says "Lineage II'' left him unable to function independently in daily activities, such as getting dressed, bathing or communicating with family and friends.

Smallwood says he's spent more than 20,000 hours playing the multiplayer online role-playing game since 2004.

The 51-year-old says NCSoft Corp. never warned him about the danger of game addiction.

A Honolulu law firm that represents the company had urged that the case be dismissed, but US District Judge Alan Kay in his August 4 ruling allowed half of the eight counts to continue.

2. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Re: OT: Online gaming addicted

that could open up a landslide of class action suits...

3. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Ruling that he can proceed is a long way from ruling in his favor. In fact, this is probably going to end up as case law in favor of NCsoft. The main arguement is probably going to be "somewhere in that 20,000 hours of play the plaintif must certainly have realized he had a problem." I played LII and found it to be absolutely boring.

4. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Stupid get-rich-quick scheme is stupid. Just like that woman who sued McDonald's for not labeling their coffee as hot, or that woman who sued some store for not letting her know she could trip over her kid, etc. Honestly, where do they get their ideas? I could use one to get myself rich and out of school.

5. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

If I were to get rich, I would use the money to stay in school longer, not get out of it.

6. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Same here. I'd enroll back to university the moment I'd be independently wealthy.

7. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

What can I say. I'm epicly lazy. :D

8. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

Holy smokes that is 9h per day and so for 6 years O_O
    And it took him only 6 years to find out that he is addicted?

This won't pass. It would be start of law suits against other companies for "addicting people for gaming". World isn't prepared for this :D

I'd say that university days are best days of my life. Seriously, I've never been so relaxed. Ever. :cloud9:

9. Naab

Naab IncGamers Member

Where do i sign up?

Seriously though this seems to only work in America, you would get loughed at in in any Europe court i bet.

10. ScionOfStorm

ScionOfStorm IncGamers Member

I don't see this going anywhere. The case is as dumb as some US-cases that I heard of. I don't know how these people aren't ashamed of their statements and urges, seriously.

That man chose to ruin his social life himself, if it weren't Lineage, it'd be something else.

11. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

So what you're saying is DC could sue Blizzard for millions. As could Marvel and Corr and anyone else I'm not remembering that's not important because they didn't play as much as these three losers.

Sounds gg.

12. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

At minimum wage ($8.00 per hour), 20,000 hours is worth $160,000.

... which is kind of depressing, actually.

13. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

This case will go nowhere. It's downright stupid, to be honest. For the record, LII is a very addictive game in the sense that it promotes you sitting there and grinding endlessly, though it actually is not a very good game - it's not even fun like WoW is, as far as MMO's go.

I echo these sentiments.

Not sure how it is in other parts of Europe, but in the east you would definitely be ridiculed by the judge. They probably wouldn't even consider the case. One difference I notice between back home (Romania) and here (North America), everything is overly politically correct and taken into consideration, no matter how stupid it actually may be.

FUUUUUUUUUUUU

14. Vang

Vang IncGamers Member

I don't understand why people are getting upset. I imagine the judge understands the case is a total scam, but wants to set a precident. What better way to make him famous than always being referred to for future references as the judge who rules in favor of NCsoft.

To me that is a reason why if I was a judge, I'd let some of these off the walls cases continue.

15. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

And it should be noted that this is how the US legal system works (and is supposed to work). The legislative body passes laws, but those laws are not entirely "real" until they are tested in the court system and it is determined how far the extend, to what they apply, etc. People often complain about "frivolous" lawsuits, but that is how our system is set up to work.

You may not like the system (I have no particular love for it, myself), but any particular court case is merely an instance of that broader system, rather than being in itself objectionable. At least in most cases. :p

16. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

I'm not sure if you're giving me an abbreviated two word response, or if you're turning into rageguy.

If it's the latter, please include appropriate images next time to prevent further confusion.

17. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

18. Ojimijam

Ojimijam IncGamers Member

Im not entirely sure how american law works (not being an american :p) but the case could be interesting even if all that comes out is that gaming addiction is a legally recognised disease or something like that. While its doubtless that the plaintiff wont succeed there could be some moderately interesting obiter comments.

19. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

I pretty much see it like you Oji. We are sue happy here in the states: quite riduculus. One thing that I really got a kick out was the Starcraft sporting event. I need to upgrade my PC, and then I'm going to get Starcraft II. I'm hoping some day that we'll have PC gaming as a sport here, but no one wants bad things to happen. I suppose balance is the key.