Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: *NIX Distro Wars!

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by sohcan, Mar 11, 2004.

1. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

OT: *NIX Distro Wars!

To prevent too much thread hijacking I figured I would open an OT thread for computer geeks/nerds/whatevertermyouprefer.

I would agree on taking a poll but I fear the Gentoo users would be at a disadvantage. The poll would be over before they were done compiling everything and had a chance to vote! ;)

I ran D2 under wine, but due to my lack of pure secks hardware the results weren't too impressive. Outside of that I tend to work with windows systems a fair amount still so I keep it around to stay somewhat familiar with it. But if you don't mind, and being a Gentoo user I doubt you would mind, grab the source via cvs for wineX from transgaming and compile that puppy. I have read some stellar reviews about it. Never used it myself.

I have run the gambit and tried all of the big distros, except gentoo but it is a tad on the young side, and I am happiest using debian myself. That is the beauty of the way things are, so many distros, so much choice. I also am a tad of a bsd nut too.

But apt-get is teh secks! :D

2. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

[OT]

*text composed of words and sentenses which non-nerd people understand*

[/OT]

:lol:

3. moby

moby IncGamers Member

If you like apt-get you'll love gentoo's portage system.

More or less the same, except it does it with source instead of binaries.

the actual command is

emerge [package name]

Of course if you are inpatient gentoo isn't the distro for you. Just to get the base system installed can take over night, as it has to compile gcc and other libraries before you can even install a kernel, system logger, etc.....

Atually Debian is about the only distribution I don't have a lot of time with.

I use Gentoo and Redhat at home, Redhat, SuSE and Mandrake at work :)

-moby

4. squigipapa

squigipapa IncGamers Member

Hey,
    Ok .. here goes.. I've ran it a couple of different ways.

1. WineX, on Gentoo is the fast, and very good performance. Gentoo is a killer OS, and yes the distro is relitivly young, however the distro is basically just portage, (the scripts that help you install the applications) other than their custom scripts, you're compileing source. Technically, Installing an OS that way was the way we did it before anyone had ever heard of 'redhat' and their pretty gui installers. :)

2. I have also run (and this is the way I currently run it) using VMWare. this way is flawless! no hassle, etc. Plus this allows me to run 2 copies on the same linux machine very easily, I can run a copy in each vmware install. If you're not into the compileing wine thing and 'playing around' with it to get it to work, then shell out the 20 bucks or so that vmware costs and go for it. I use vmware for any windows only application that I am forced to use, and I have never, ever had a problem with vmware.

if you have any other questions about anything related to it, just pm me .. I can probably help you out.. linux freak since 93 :) ..

Don't you miss the days when men were men and people wrote their own drivers
    - Linus T.

5. moby

moby IncGamers Member

I use VMWorkstation and Server at work all the time. Just haven't shelled out the $$ to run it at home yet. I agree very nice stuff indeed.

Nice to see other Long time Linux users. My first usage started in 94, DNS and DHCP for our entire company (over 4000 machines). I think the distribution was RedHat 4.2. My first distro purchased for home use, RedHat 5.0. I got my RHCE a few years back around the RedHat 7.0 days. I've now installed Linux on everything from a PDA to an IBM mainframe :) Can't beat it's stability and flexibility. Heck we have a couple Linux boxes that have been up for almost 3 years, the last time they were rebooted, was when they were built :)

-moby

6. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

But slack has the coolest name of them all...

And yes, the distro I use is based on name alone.

7. squigipapa

That's awsome Moby! I can't remember the first distro I installed, but I have a version 1.x slackware here somewhere. It's funny checking back.. the readme on setting up your monitor's Horizontal and verticle sync rates, it says that you can permenently damage your monitor if you put in a wrong setting. lol .. linux has come a long way ..

As for vmware, I love it, I've had it since the first public release. I remember a while back I found a page with a free application like it .. it was called freemware, I haven't checked out the project in like a year so I don't know how it's coming along, or if it is at all but it might be worth checking into.

Later,
    Squigi

8. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

I'm using Mandrake at the moment, and I like it a lot, but I really should try out a few of the other distros at some point. Diablo 2 runs perfectly under WineX for me, which is great, as it means I don't have to dip into the dark side just to play it.

9. sohcan

sohcan IncGamers Member

Old school! Heck that was before the 1.0 kernel was released!

10. squigipapa

ya, 93 was before the 1.0 kernel .. but in 93 there was already a couple of distros of Linux one was called TAMU and another one called SLS I think.. Slackware also had a version out .. but the other 2 were the more popular ones. I think the kernel version was .99pl3 but actually, I think by the end of 93 pl5 was either out or just coming out.. ahh whatever .. I can't really remember, all I remember was that it wasen't pretty .. :) lol The quote I had above was, I believe the first post by linus to the newsgroups.. this was in 90 or 91 just to give you an idea, When linus posted that, it was posted to the newsgroups because WWW diden't exist.. lol :)

Actually, though, around 93-94 was when linux started makeing some really good headway, by this time the bigger boys were involved (Alan Cox and company)

Alright, well that's my trip down memory lane for today .. lol

11. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

eh, i'm just a boring old fedora user (someone at columbia set up a mirror site of updates, so i can actually get updates, as opposed to every other free- fedora user who gets locked out by redhat 9 enterprise users)

but that's just my laptop- my desktop is dual boot and i mainly only use it for windows/d2...

though i spent way too much time working with damnsmall linux on my advisor's cluster in the past couple weeks... that was kinda fun... no hard drive- just damn small linux loaded into memory, plus PetSci (parallel numerical computing program), and thats it :D

12. kardinaal

kardinaal IncGamers Member

Wow, I'm just getting into linux. I've known it for a good year now, from school. I don't believe in Linux as a dektop computer OS (yet). Though I must admit the people at Freedesktop and Ximian are doing some pretty nice stuff at the moment. I've seen a lecture at fosdem (free and open source devellopers meeting - Brussels Belgium) about what they're planning for X (and some other stuff). Prety cool stuff. Translucent windows, no more "trail of windows" when you move a window, shadows... Still in devellopment though :(. Eventually, X is going to be just a 3DGlide application, following the trend of 3D desktops...

Anyway, I allways ran Suse 9 on my laptop (HP pavillion 4455, silly me :D), becaus it's the only distro that will actually install without having to resort to numerous hacks/fixes. But a few weeks ago, I saw Gentoo at that meeting, and now I'm a believer. The trick for fast gentoo is to take all the PC's in your local computer class/lab and compile with DCC (distributed C compiler). It only took me two days to get a base system, X and Open Office :). I had help from some other students on setting up the cluster (they are doing cluster research for IBM).

The main reasons I like gentoo are because it has thaught me a great deal about Linux, kernel compiling and getting your network running in console. It' also only 3/4 as big as my Suse, and runs only half as much processes. It's also nice to have a configurable compilation that's easily maintained.

13. squigipapa

Actually, If you're really interested about learning the internals of linux etc. Go to www.linuxfromscratch.org LFS is awsome. it basically takes you step by step into building the os from the ground up, one application at a time.

14. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

wow... i checked that out... now that's bad***... if only i had the time, it looks like a fun project to toy around with :D

15. MintSauce

MintSauce IncGamers Member

Gentoo owned when I ran it, the thing you have to realise is it's lots of choices, you don't HAVE to complie all from scratch,they do provide GRP (gentoo reference packages) that you can use to save compile time, but I like the speed that I got from it, d2 ran fine, but no way to do multiple windows :((((

16. kardinaal

kardinaal IncGamers Member

d2 ran fine, but no way to do multiple windows

Not even with 2 virtual terminals? Like F7 AND F8? And 2 users. It should work I guess...

BTW, do you need WineX for diablo or is Wine enough? I should try to get it running, even if it was for protection agains future drophacks ;). Never used Wine, so it will be a good exercise. I could even do it in class :D

17. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

Wine will work if you manage to get around needing to have the CD in the drive while playing *cough*, otherwise, you'll need WineX (not from CVS either), as it includes code to work with the proprietary copy protection.

18. MintSauce

MintSauce IncGamers Member

Nope not even like that. I tried loads of things, I would be really interested to know if anyone else get's it working or not. that was about only thing I did not like, as I like to self mule and I have 2 friends keys who have quit so that's not a problem.