Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: New Budget PC

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by stupidgreen, Mar 17, 2005.

1. stupidgreen

stupidgreen IncGamers Member

OT: New Budget PC

Hey all,
    Well, I got into the grad school that I wanted, and got a $4000 stipend, so I am going to upgrade my computer. I have a very limited budget, however, since that money needs to stretch.

Best Buy has a $280 eMachine package. I remember a time when they were the most dumped on company out there, but they were bought by Gateway recently, so they have good up in quality. Has anyone here bought one recently. Conversly, do you have another budget (<$400) machine you like?

Thanks all!

I added OT to your thread title. ;) - AE

2. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

Build-it-your-own, scrap your old computers for parts budget is pretty awesome.

Last two computers have been home built by me and mostly my 2-year-senior older brother.. They work great and if you shop well (newegg.com for one) you can get good deals on stuff, stretching the money as far as possible.

I don't know too much about retail PCs though so I'm not exactly the person to ask. If you have the technical expertise though, or can get someone you trust to help, maybe what I described would be a better option.

3. nobo

nobo IncGamers Member

if you don't want a 2nd hand computer, build your computer on your own. there are small semi-legal shops out there that build your computer for cheap money (~20 Euro) if you don't want to do the job on your own.

you can also save a lot of money if you abstrain from a graphics card. when buying an amd processor of any type, buy the cheapest model (e.g. 1500Mhz, not 1800) and overclock it manually (or have a look for those shops ;) )

mfg nobo

4. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Good luck with grad school, by the size of your stipend it sounds like the liberal arts (I started in a LA field and finished in science). You might want to considering quitting D2 for a bit, at least until qualifiers are done. Anyway that's another kettle of fish entirely.

About your computer, I build one myself with little knowledge and did well on price but messed something up on performance. Being too cheap to pay someone to fix it, it endured as an "office" computer. So if you do build, have someone knowledgable "approve" your blueprint (I think I had bad ram, or a bad videocard/motherboard interaction, never really figured it out).

5. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Remember when you build the computer:
    * to factor in the time it takes you to do so. If you're interested in the process it's definitely a valuable experience, but if you just want a machine fast, time is money, and you're wasting it.
    * to factor in the price of Windows XP and MS Office and whatever else you might need. If you go with a cheapo Dell or eMachines or whatever you'll have all that legit and ready to go from the start.

Congrats on the grad school! Where are you going and what are you studying?

6. Parapsycho

Parapsycho IncGamers Member

Another option is to buy a "white box" PC. Those are the ones that are built by parts wholesalers. They are generally cheaper than the ones you buy from places like best buy, and are a lot more upgradable. Remember, big computer companies like Dell and Gateway dont really want you to upgrade your computer much after you buy it. They want you to buy a whole new machine later. The wholesalers want you to upgrade with parts that they sell, so they make it easy for you to do so. So, my suggestion would be to do that if you are not ready (or simply dont want to) build your own PC. Buy the least expensive one you can find, and then use the rest of your budget to upgrade it.