Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: My Tourny

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ashmer Amadeus, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Ashmer Amadeus

Ashmer Amadeus IncGamers Member

OT: My Tourny

Some of you may have noticed in my Saturdaily thread I said I was going to a tourny. The Magic: The Gathering Regionals was Saturday the 25th. A long day, but I had a lot of fun. Got up at 4, had my wheaties. I arrived at Fitchburg at 8:30, registration started at 9. Registered and headed for the mens room. Wrote out my deck list and tried a few casual games with the guys I went with. I kicked butt. I didn't build my deck, nor had I ever used it before then. Matt built the deck, monogreen beacon. I haven't played in a tourny in probly a year, and never in anything nearly that sized. There were 366 players. They mispelled my last name, but I got that worked out. For my first match I was paired against a similar deck. Never saw a blanchwood armor. It was close, but he took me 2-0. Not how I wanted to start, but I wasn't surprised. This was all new to me. Match two was against Burn. My Troll Ascetic is awesome against burn, but he played the same Pulse of the Forge four times. Again I lost 2-0. Match three was against Rats. Chittering Rats was bad for me. Along with this Ogre something or other which bounces a black creature every turn. I drew the same card three times before I emptied my hand and was able to draw fresh, but its hard to win topdecking. Jitte showed up for the first time here. Never saw the Molder Slugs I sideboarded in game two. Lost round three. 0-3, and dissappointed. Matt on the other hand was 3-0. Match four was against a blue/red deck. I think between both of the games he delt me four points of damage. 1-3. Matt lost his first match, against a wish deck. I watched a little of the last game. I felt bad for Matt. He was playing Death Cloud. Emeritt played Hibernation several times thanks to Eternal Witness. Match five, mono blue shackles. I know I didn't build the deck, but I wish I had Plow Unders. He couldn't take my Trolls, but he could take everything else. And without my birds I couldn't stop Blinkmoth Nexus. 1-4. Onward I went, back to a rat deck. I lost the first game, chittering rats forced me to draw the same card several times, thats not much fun. Won games two and three though. 2-4. Interestingly, Matt lost his second match. 4-2 for him. Seven was Ponza. My oppenant had his best games of the day. Both times he had Slith Firewalker first turn. Arc Slogger picked off the few guys I played and the Firewalker walked all over me. Game two was a little different. He had me down to ten, and he was right around there as well. Then he played some card that deals ten damage to a player if they have exactly ten life. Hmm, I've got exactly ten life, and for four mana he deals exactly ten damage. Damn, lost again. 2-5, but I figure I can only go up, I've got to be paired with someone as bad as I am. Sure enough I was. This guy looked like he didn't really know what he was doing. Some spirit/arcane deck. I'm not sure what his win condition was, but he never saw it. 3-5. Last round was against Tooth and Nail. Ninth round until I saw T&N, I was surprised. I should've won the second game, but I made a fatal mistake. Swept again. My ending record was 3-6, Matt ended 5-4. 220/366. Not good, but I was happy for being my first major tourny, and not knowing the deck. I learned a lot though. Firstly, I hate Sensi's Devining Top. Don't get me wrong, I wish I had them, but it sucks playing against it. But it will be in T2 for another year and change. Jitte is an awesome card. I only saw it a few times, but if I couldn't get rid of it, it would stomp me. Grafted War Gear is a really good card. Works very well with Troll Ascetic. Also works well against Shackles. If they can take my equiped creature I can move the gear to kill it. Also, the field is wide open. I saw a lot of decks there. Tooth and Nail, Green Beacon, Ponza, Rats, Gifts. I didn't see one deck that I wish I had've. A Leveler/Beacon deck. Play a Leveler, remove your library from the game. Play Beacon of Tomorrows. You get another turn, shuffle Beacon back into your library. Take your extra turn, draw the only card in your library, the beacon. Attack with Leveler. Play Beacon. Rinse, repeat. I didn't do well, but I didn't expect much. The important thing was that I enjoyed myself. I played a lot of good games against a lot of different decks. I would love to do this again, but not any time soon. It was a very long day, but one I enjoyed very much. Thanks for reading and I look forward to my next tourny. Melee Blues. Hopefully I fare a little better.

---JohnBoy

2. Sleepless

Sleepless IncGamers Member

Hmm, what editions were allowed in this tourney. If everything was allowed, I'm surprise you didn't met some affinity deck heh. I hope you had fun though :D

3. Ashmer Amadeus

Sets allowed:
    Mirrodin
    Darksteel
    Fifth Dawn
    Champions of Kamagawa
    Betrayers of Kamagawa
    Saviors of Kamagawa
    8th Edition

Banned in T2

Artifact Lands
    - Ancient Den
    - Seat of the Synod
    - Vault of Whispers
    - Great Furnace
    - Tree of Tales
    - Darksteel Citidel
    - Arcbound Ravager
    - Disciple of the Vault
    - Skull Clamp

This is why Affinity is a bad choice. Artifact lands are what made it such a good deck type. Since the bannings a lot of other decks have entered the field. And even if you could make an affinity deck, there is a lot of hate in the current metagame. Molder Slug is sideboard for every green deck, I ran two Zealots maindeck.

4. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

You whippersnappers and your grinding slugs! in my day all we had to play with was black lotuses and moxes, and we were GRATEFUL!

-GG

5. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

If you had fun thats all that matters, my best regionals finish was 22 ever. Although i only played regionals twice, Type 1 and extended was more my style, and the last time is when invasion was in type 2 :p I read through your report and didn't reconize a single card, bah to type 2.

6. druidkid9

druidkid9 IncGamers Member

this is so wierd i play magic too!!!! :) gogogo back wennie decks :)

7. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

Used to play magic, till some little noob who thought he was 1337 stole my cards from my backpack. Had some pretty good decks to *cough*goblinsrock*cough* and a burn deck ahh the memorys draft tourneys were my favorite i got Konda and Ismaru hound of konda once in the smae draft bout had to make a white/black deck cause i had gotten some good oni or something

8. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

heh, I played magic when 4th edition was just being released. Don't recognise any of those cards either :D

9. mad.as.a.meataxe

mad.as.a.meataxe IncGamers Member

I'm with Shermo and GG on this one. I played from before fourth ed through to the Urza's. All those cards are just names to me. Sounds like fun though. Better luck next time.

MAAM

10. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

no you get a strip of beggin strip's

11. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

I still remember Black Lotus by name, none of these newer ones though.

Randall

12. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Agree with you there, not that I managed to get ahold of any Black Lotus or Moxes. I played to fourth edition. I used Control Magic and Clone and other nice stuff, but some years ago I sold all my cards, non in the vicinity played any longer so no use saving my cards

DX

13. Ashmer Amadeus

I started somewhere around Alliances. I didn't recognize all the cards there, I had to read several of them. I've never owned any of the power nine, and for what they are going for these days, I'm pretty sure I never will. 300+ for a mox and probly 600+ for an Unlimited Lotus. One of the vendors there wanted 1100 for a black border Lotus. I know I did pretty bad, but there were 166 people who did worse. I might go to something like that again, but not for a while. I didn't know a day could be that long playing magic. Or maybe I'm just getting old.....