Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Mods anyone (No, not the English Vespa Riding Type)? i

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by gravitysrainbow, Jun 6, 2005.

1. gravitysrainbow

gravitysrainbow IncGamers Member

OT: Mods anyone (No, not the English Vespa Riding Type)?

As some may or may not know, I'm playing my way through the Middle Earth mod right now. I stopped in Act5 NM (Maiar) and decided to build a fishymancer (well, as close to fishy as i can be w/o the specified gear..would that be MEFishy??) because my assassin's clock was being meticulously cleaned.

Anyway, my question is- since the SPF became mod friendly, is anyone else around playing a mod? if so, which and what are your thoughts as compared to Vanilla D2LOD?

I have a feeling this thread is going to fall like a stone down the list. :p

2. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

I'm not a big fan of mods (though I don't morally object in any way) but just wanted to note that your thread title made me chuckle - and I'm the stern type. :D

3. gravitysrainbow

thanks, hobo.

i wasn't either, but this seems to have revitalized D2 for me. I started SP, then went to Bnet, then back to SP but i was duping runes for spice. About halfway through that, i thought "this blows" and decided to try a mod. Since i've always been into Middle Earth, i went with that one.

Almost everything is different in terms of damage emphasis and of course, there's no real build guidance since most builds rely on items that don't exist in the mod.

So in essence, i'm starting all over. hell i think you could even call me untwinked.

4. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

If you're having fun again, great, that's what the game is about. I've been playing off and on since this game was released. Most recently I rejuvinated my interest in it by wiping every character and stash file from my computer and starting over in Hardcore. I don't really grail now, I play to have fun instead of trying to achieve some particular goal. Playing for fun instead of items really changed my outlook.

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Hopefully someone with something worth saying will stop by soon :teeth:

5. gravitysrainbow

umm...probably not so it's not a problem. i don't think there are a lot of mods..hm..modders..people that use mods here. I mean it's only recently Mod friendly 'round here so it's not all that surprising. everyone's pretty into vanilla, and most people play D2 like any other game- temporarily.

I tried starting threads over at phrozen as it seems more appropriate and i know that not everyone here condones mods, but if you think it's quiet here re: mods, head over there. So at this point, i'm just hoping to motivate someone to try a mod and rejuvinate the game that way as opposed to vanilla or hardcore.

i'm pretty sure hardcore would piss me off with some bs lag when the game decides to read the cd or something.

anyway- peace!

6. womble

womble IncGamers Member

i started playing the nezeramontius (sp?) mod just recently and have found it to be quite fun. Some new skills, and everything is a lot faster. Stamina drain i huge at the start and mana regen is real sloww... combine this with monsters that move faster, hit harder and are tougher well - normal was interesting. It makes you think more and you have to plan a little. Corpsefire on p1 in normal took me like 15/20 mins to kill.

I have a feeling that it will get a little unbalanced later in the game but normal was a challenge and quite fun

7. gravitysrainbow

absolutely the same story here, womble. In the ME mod, there's no running out the front and hitting lvl 15 in no time. there's also a far greater emphasis on rare items. i have found some uniques and they're not bad, but the rares combined with the rare upgrade/socket crafting recipie tend to yield more useful results.

also, there's way more emphasis on crafting in general. i got really, really lucky and have 2 rings with 20% IAS on each. i know that to vanilla folks this is stellar, but in the mod..damn..i mean i'm still looking for IAS to add to that assassin and that's even on top of the bonuses on items where IAS is normally found (on claw weps for example). the reason for this is because BOS has been weakend (never been a Fade guy, for what it's worth).

right now i'm building a MF character. i hit lvl 25 last night and can now use the complete Nec (Summoner) set "The Master's Tools".

The only drawback is that *breaks into song* THERE'S NO ONE TO PLAAAAAY WIIIIIITH, NO ONE TO SHARE MY NIIIIIIGHTS WITH, NO ONE TO GIVE GOOD ITEMS TO, SO THAT THEY CAN ROCK THE MOOOOOOD TOOO...

welp...back to leveling said Summoner.

So Womble, what are the character classes in your mod?

8. womble

womble IncGamers Member

ive only played a sorc... each normal character class has had like 6 new skills added... some good... some not so good. (edit:all the normal classes i should say. there's no new ones - apart from the new skills)

There's plenty of new additions such as new runes and gems, soul stones, and a lot of crafting options. Skills cost more.. ie lvl 1 skills cost 1 skill point at the start and then 2 points after 6 in the skill... 3 points after 13? and so on
    lvl 30 skills cost 6 points :D but there's many mroe ways of gettign skill books

I'm not so sure this mod has long term playability and i can see how given time the sorc could become pretty much unbeatable... but its fun for now

ill prob give the ME mod a go.. then just return back to vanilla non modded hc sp

9. OpethAZ

OpethAZ IncGamers Member

I'm playing the Nezeramontias mod myself as well. I really like it, tons of new monsters, new layouts of maps, including one new area and two redesigned areas. It does change your way of playing though, but I was able to get an Assy through normal on P8.

One cool thing that may be a lot of cheese is you can reassign skill and stat points to be situationally specific. This honestly doesn't give the advantage you would think factoring in the enhanced monster AI.

I'll play this one through and see how I feel, but so far I would give it a 4 out of 5 on the Dentyne scale.

10. gravitysrainbow

With my assassin (known as a Dark Elf in the mod) i couldn't swing P8. Seems like the took some umph! out of the death sentry lightining and i was also using some MA skills to soften them all up. Thing was, i was equipping her with MF gear..not the brightest but i wanted to start the mod with a character i was very familiar with and i was very curious as to what kind of uniques, sets etc. were out there. Now i'm working on that nec and p8 is no problem, though we'll see in NM and Hell. Especially with that set i mentenioned..I'm thinking of posting stats on items i find. You guys interested? I'd be interested in seeing any "good" items from your efforts.. :thumbsup:

So do you plan to finish out the Nez mod?
    Let me know if you want to MP some ME games; i can host.

I also run this inventory program called plugY and one if its features is a re-allocate skills button. I don't use it though..skills allocation is what prompts new characters oftentimes, and if i'm an MA assassin, i should make it through on my MA skills, not switch to traps cause it's thick...but the skill point system you are under makes it seem like it might be more fair in that context. interesting..

11. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

I was wondering since we are now "mod" friendly if you could give me a link to that mod its sounds really intresting... pm me or email [email protected]
    thanks in advance

12. gravitysrainbow

You can get the Nez mod at phrozenkeep http://phrozenkeep.it-point.com/forum/index.php?h=1&pf=129
    but the squid comes out if you link anywhere else.

It's an unsupported mod so back stuff up.

13. OpethAZ

OpethAZ IncGamers Member

@Pinkey... I hit you with the link to the Nez home page as well, gives a lot of info on the mod and how it works...

14. BenRosser787

BenRosser787 IncGamers Member

Gravity, I'd be willing to play the ME mod with you...I'd have to start a new character, though.

15. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

thanks ill DL it soon.

16. gravitysrainbow

Hey Ben- Ok that'd be great, but i think it'd have to wait until i get back from Jamaica; i am leaving saturday night and i doubt i'll have time before then.

I also need to verify that i have everything set up correctly. I think i do, but it woudnl't surprise me if it fails the first time. i'm using dhcp but i do have my local ip's reserved. so it should work.

If i end up gaming, i'll post in the MP thread and leave you a PM.

17. BenRosser787

BenRosser787 IncGamers Member

Sounds good :thumbsup:

18. womble

womble IncGamers Member

with nez... if you're after a challenge throughout hell, etc.. i think stay away from the sorc. i hear that it becomes quite overpowered later on.

There are a few bugs which you should check out (in the forums at phrozenkeep) - such as the game crashes if you add too many mods to an item (there are ways of crafting additional mods into items)

One thing i find good about the mod is that mercs have been beefed up a bit. They're a little more fragile but kill faster which i like.

The changing stat/skill points comes with a program called plugY which is basically your only atma-type option. You can choose not to play with the skills - its up to you - but the stash is definately a big help because you'll hoard a lot of stuff

I've got my killing setup/ my mf setup/ plus all the gems/dolls/fruit/runes/goodies so'll you'll def need plugY to store stuff.

P.S i love my mf setup - like 450mf and 1200 gf. Go kill some stuff in the kangero dungeons and you hit 1,000,000 gold before tping back home with a full stash :D

19. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I totally think there should be a Quadrophenia mod.

20. gravitysrainbow

Who was it that pm'd me about getting together for ME mod games? I know benrosser did but there was another as well. pm me again or respond and i'll take note.

EDIT: it was someone with a number in their name..at the end. This is what happens when i mix play with work.