OT: Mental illness

Korlic

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi guys, I feel like writing about a subject that is a little more serious than the usual stuff on here.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss mental illness and help each other in times of need.

I go first. For many years I've been suffering from mental illness without really knowing. I knew I was different, but not why. Recently it got really bad as I had built up a lot of paranoia and secluded myself from my family, friends etc. It ended up with a psychosis where I thought I was being watched and stalked by strangers. I was at an absolut low and just wanted it to end. I knew I was either gonna submit myself to a hospital or commit suicide. Thankfully I chose the first option.

It's been a month now and I am a lot better, though it is still hard to cope 100%. Still I am amazed how much better I feel :)

I just wanted to share my story because I know there might be others out there suffering in silence. I just want to tell you, you are not alone! Getting help is by far the best thing I ever did.

Dezrok

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey Korlic.
Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your story. It is never an easy thing to do but really important for people going through something similar to know that they aren't the only one.

Really glad to hear that you are doing better and feeling more positive about things. Keep on with whatever is working for you Even the smallest things can make a difference.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I have quite a long history, and large parts of it are documented on this forum as it was a part of my coping method (I love this place, even those who don't particularly like me, you all played a role in me staying alive). I will post about my own experiences at a later date as I am actually not well just now and think that I would be better waiting. However, I wanted you to know that I too have these experiences.

thefranklin

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for sharing, Korlic. With how powerful the brain is, I can't imagine the difficulties when it turns on you. I am glad you were able to recognize and get help!

Kitteh, we like you.

TheNix

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for sharing guys, with this encouragement I'll let you in on my recent problems. Before my wife's previous surgery I developed major anxiety issues and these issues lasted months after the surgery too. I started a habit swallow, I would swallow half a dozen times or more a minute. At it's worst, I was swallowing so often it was hard to catch a breath at times. I became paranoid about locks; I would check locks three or four times a night and, if I was going out, on several occasions I would return home to make sure I locked up. It was during this time I was diagnosed as being on the lower end of the autism spectrum, very much like my daughter. I've eventually beat it (well mostly), but with my wife's upcoming surgery I'm on the lookout for the warning signs.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Thanks for sharing guys, with this encouragement I'll let you in on my recent problems. Before my wife's previous surgery I developed major anxiety issues and these issues lasted months after the surgery too. I started a habit swallow, I would swallow half a dozen times or more a minute. At it's worst, I was swallowing so often it was hard to catch a breath at times. I became paranoid about locks; I would check locks three or four times a night and, if I was going out, on several occasions I would return home to make sure I locked up. It was during this time I was diagnosed as being on the lower end of the autism spectrum, very much like my daughter. I've eventually beat it (well mostly), but with my wife's upcoming surgery I'm on the lookout for the warning signs.
Being aware of your own issues, and vigilant for them, is half of the fight I think.

DaveW

Diabloii.Net Member
I just want to acknowledge these posts as being very important. Thx to Korlic, Kitteh and theNix for posting their issues. My siblings and I have had similar experiences and I know these situations will re-surface again, and again, and again ..... Let's be strong everyone! Much love to you all.

Last edited:

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I consider myself very lucky for not having had mental issues so far (40y old and counting). Same applies to my wife. But as others have said here, we shouldn't take this for granted, considering how complex the brain is and with the current state of the world.

It can't be said enough, it's very brave of those who do have mental issues to come out and say it in public !!! So kudos to you, and I hope you'll find ways to cope with it, and hopefully improve things over time.

qwernt

Diabloii.Net Member
46 years of life have taught me a few things.
We all have struggles. We all have pain. We all have joy. We all have peace.
Sometimes you have to get through some bad times to get to the good times. Sometimes it is the other way around. For some people the bad times are direct, for others indirect.
Believe in yourself. You may never overcome your struggles, but you can insure they don't overcome you.
I believe in me. I believe in you, whoever/wherever/whatever. That doesn't mean I will agree with all that you choose to do or become, nor do I expect you to agree with my choices. However, I think we can support each other even when we disagree.
Believe in yourself. Humans are more powerful than we understand. Use your brain to fix your body. Use your body to fix your brain. Both might have issues, but both have strengths as well.
Have fun doing the things you like. But also broaden your definition of fun.
If you struggle with something, learn about it. We have more access to knowledge than at any previous time in human existence.
Don't be afraid to lean on others.
Don't be afraid to lean on yourself.

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
Much appreciation for everyone who has posted in this thread. I'm not a mental health professional, but my work has been closely connected to mental health policy and services and people deeply affected by mental health diagnoses. Whether close friends, a faith community, sports club or online forum, it's so important to be able to share how we are feeling and get support.

It's great that this forum can offer support in some way, and kudos to everyone who has shared and sought support here! Hang in there, and know that there are people who are thinking of you.