Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Lord Of The Rings

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Crudesash68, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

OT: Lord Of The Rings (Spoiler Alert!)

I was surprised not to see a post yet, but I just wanted to crow a bit about the awesome night at the Oscars. 11 noms, 11 Wins. That ties Ben-Hur and Titanic for most wins ever, and it is the best sweep ever (Gigi & The Last Emperor were both 9 of 9)

Now, some might say, so what? It's not like Crudesash had anything to do with all that success. Well, no, not directly, but it was the love of the books that helped inspire the filmmakers (I suppose the huge financial rewards were some incentive as well), and we could all say "If I could make a movie..." Well, Peter Jackson did, and they were magnificent. I could argue on some points, both major or minor (insering Arwen for Glorfindel, Elves at Helm's Deep, Faramir as punk, etc.), but overall, the films were great.

I guess, I feel some sort of vindication; it is all too easy for people to look at someone who reads SciFi/Fantasy, or who plays RPG's, and slap a label on them. I think that a lot of people have a better understanding of what we love about the things we love, or at least I'd like to think that. I am not so insecure as to need rubber-stamp approval on my interests and hobbies, but it is still a communal feeling.

Kudos to Mssrs. Tolkien and Jackson!

Steve

2. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

well the oscars are just being broadcasted here so thnx for ruining 50% of the show :lol:

nah i'm @ work so i cant watch either, but i agree, LOTR is probaly the best movie (s) i have ever seen, i have seen all 5 times in the cinema and jeez, i would go with doubting if i had the time...

:thumbsup: to Jackson and mr. Tolkien

robin

3. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

OOPS! Sorry, didn't mean to reveal anything....I changed the title, in case you haven't seen the show yet.

Steve

4. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

It's about time the Lord of the Rings won some Oscars. They were snubbed the last two times.

It was a great movie and deserved everyone of those oscars.

Now as far as the Titanic! I'm sorry, I didn't get it. Girl meets boy. Girl (Slut) sleeps with him in the back of car. Girl steals diamond. Girl never tells second husband about diamond. Girl throws diamond in ocean?

If I was her second husband I would of shoved her *** in the ocean after that diamond.

Sorry for ranting and highjacking this thread. Some things just need to be said!

Takis (El_Greco)

5. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

The only reason Titanic where a succesful movie was because of all girls falling in love with Leonardo. Pathetic.

6. beau_nidle

beau_nidle IncGamers Member

I reckon the Oscar people snubbed the first 2 Lord of the Rings films, otherwise they would have won the oscars every year for 3 years. IMO they are the best 3 films ever made, and i reckon other film makers would have been a bit upset if LotR won 11 oscars every year, although i feel they well deserve them!! :D

7. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

People in general like movies that they know the ending before it ends.

Titanic-- The boat sinks.

TLOTR the return of the king -- The one ring is destroyed.

They dont give awards to movies that they dont know the ending to

TLOTR the fellowship -- ??? where does it end ???
    TLOTR the two towers -- ??? where does it end ???

So if you ever want to get awards in movie making make a movie where everone knows what is going to adventually happen. :rant:

8. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

what is the interest to receive 11 oscars ?
    perhaps say the other movies are sxxxxx ?

actors and singers are the unique "work" that give to themself price

pathetique.

9. -.kreizi.-

-.kreizi.- IncGamers Member

I think they deserved, as 3rd was the best of those 3, really well made unbelivable well folowed the book. If then First wouldve deserved the oscars too, but not second, second was........... was, well not good!

10. vajurewi

vajurewi IncGamers Member

I was glad to see such a magnificent trilogy of movies from a magnificent set of books.

LOTR:ROTK deserved Best Picture and Director as the crowning of this trilogy.
    The battle scenes were phenomenal - (in comparison, the last 2 Star Wars movies battle scenes look so cheesy CGI)

My only quibble with ROTK was that they should have sliced the last 20 minutes off - here you are developing pressure sores on your butt from sitting for 3 hours and the film never ends:

Scene:You think: Ending Potential:
    Aragon's coronation Magestic PERFECT
    Hobbits return home home-y close of cycle awww...okay
    Hobbits drinking/dancing boring enuf already
    Sam gets married waste of time ENUF AlREADY
    Frodo signs book wait 2 years went by? need RingWraith NOW
    Bilbo, Frodo get on boat ok, tearjearker Sail Away PERFECT
    Sam goes home FERCHRISSAKES :grrr:
    Sam Plays with kids choking on tongue :rant:

(how do you do tabbed columns on a post?)

11. Huorn

Huorn IncGamers Member

I always was fond of the ending of the book, especially with the cleansing of the Shire (didn't make it into the film). But even so it's a good ending in my mind, as it shows that the story goes on even after such events.

It also shows the difference between Sam and Frodo (Frodo doesn't belong to Middleearth anymore and sails to the undying lands whereas Sam still has his family to look after - he'll rejoin Frodo at a much later stage, though).

I suppose it comes down to preference. Personally, I'm glad that Jackson stuck true to the book and didn't go in for a more Hollywoodesque ending.

12. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

It just took Hollywood nine hours of movie before they finally realized how awesome it really was. Some people are just slower learners, right? :lol:

As far as the ending goes, I think all fans of the book would have been happier with 'The Scouring of the Shire', as the book went, rather than 'The Sappiness of the Hobbits', as the movie chose to go. But Peter Jackson still rocks, and if thats the biggest problem with the trilogy, then he did a great job.

13. luskan

luskan IncGamers Member

Christopher Lee was disappointed that his scenes did not make it into the final theatre version, so hopefully that means the cleansing of the shire will be in the extended version of the DVD when it comes out.

14. TekkaZeroX

TekkaZeroX IncGamers Member

Actually, there was never a scene filmed with the scourge of the Shire by Sharky. In the movie, it was going to be Gandalf and Saruman facing off at Isenguard at the beginning of the Return of the King. Saruman and Grima would die and all would be happy. However, PJ cut it, because it added another 10-12 minutes to the film. He was worried it would make the film too long. Personally, I wish he had implemented it. ;)

15. Shalakshmiyin

Shalakshmiyin IncGamers Member

It wasn't filmed?

I have a hard time believing that, as we got a bit of a preview in Galadriel's Mirror in FOTR. Was I the only one that saw this? I mean, perhaps I'm drunk, or otherwise off, but I'm pretty sure they DID have something set up for the Scouring of the Shire, and I, too, hope to see it on the extended re-release.

Just my two cents.

TwoPaws,
    Shalakshmiyin

16. Huorn

Huorn IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure Tekka is right about that. Christopher Lee was quite upset. Incidentally he was on of the only members of the cast who had actually read the book before getting involved with the film. He asked PJ to play a part, because he so wanted to get into that film. Then he was delighted at being allowed to play Saruman and later angry, because his final role in the Shire was never filmed.

Shalaksmiyin, I think that scene you see in Galadriel's mirror is only shows the possible future of the Shire if Frodo fails. In that scene Sam is one of the mistreated hobbits - were that the time just before the Scouring (as it is rightly called, sorry about that :teeth: ), then Sam wouldn't be there at all - him still being on his way back from Gondor and all.

17. TekkaZeroX

Shalakshmiyin: I am very sure, they did not film it in the Shire. Why else would they have the scene at the beginning of the film?

For instance, I am a Tolkien fanatic and they had a large petition to keep the Saruman scene in the Return of the King. The scene as discussed in the petition was to wrap up Saruman in Isenguard, not in the Shire. PJ's rationalization for filming it in Isenguard instead of the Shire was that it was anticlimactic, since the Ring was already destroyed. He used it again to cut the entire piece from the featured film. :grrr:

Also, here are some pictures that will help you believe(here and here ).

That last picture is the best evidence to suggest you are dead wrong. That is a wheel of Orthanc and there is Saruman spinning round and round. :evil:

18. farting bob

farting bob Banned

i havent read the book yet (ive read the other 2, will start the 3rd one soon) but from what ive heard, the book is slightyl anto-climatic, the ring was detoyed half way though the book and the rst is about the afetrmath of it all. it may be a great book (so far from what ive read the best!) but even the best boosk need some editign to be made into film.

19. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

Go read the books. The ending is faaaaar longer and waaaay better! :lol: Think of it like a 9h20min movie, it just had to have 20 minutes+ for an ending.

As for the awards. Finally they got what they deserved. Although I was sad Sophia Coppola didn't won Best Director cause, well... I wanted to see her again. :love: And for god knows how many times I've said it :

Annie Lenox is hot. :yep:

20. TekkaZeroX

That would be a gross exageration. It was around 2/3 of the Return of the King book that the Ring is destroyed. I would know. I read the book... a lot... ;)