Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: LOD 1.10 is a mod

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by KatoZyEl, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatoZyEl

KatoZyEl IncGamers Member

OT: LOD 1.10 is a mod

:lol: I'll bet you all didn't know that. Ever heard of a guy named Peter Hu? Well, he used to be the Man who programmed Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction. His last accomplishment before leaving Blizzard was patch 1.10 - the very game that you claim as canon Diablo 2.

:thumbsup: Well, as it turns out, Peter Hu frequented the PhrozenKeep and had active dialogue with many of the Mod Gods there. Where do you think he got his ideas for patch 1.10? He shared a lot of his insights and knowledge with the programmers at the Keep and helped us to improve our mods immensely. He also informed us that Blizzard was very aware of the things that went on at PK and there were more than a few Bliz staff who played mods.

:lol: So, for all of you who consider mods to be "forbidden fruit" and those who play them are headed to "damnation". Take a look at your LOD 1.10 game and realize that you are playing a mod already . . . courtesy of Peter Hu. Bwahahaahahahahah!

:evil: I have you now! If you do not consider 1.10 to be a mod, then ask yourselves - where is the official documentation from Blizzard? Did they ever publish a user's guide or player's guide or package it as a standalone expansion? Where are the new features of 1.10 formally documented?

Peter Hu is gone now but his legacy lives on - mod 1.10.

2. Sleepless

Sleepless IncGamers Member

Not to burst your bubble but SPF is now mod-friendly.

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Just because he talked to modders doesnt make it a mod, although technically, any patch can be called a mod, since its short for 'modification' and all patches modify the original game.
    However, in the usual sence of the word mod, this isnt, since its an official patch, and they didnt provide a user guide since its not an expansion, just a game update.
    But nice but of trivia there.
    EDIT: looks like your first post, so i recommend a intro thread if your planning on staying, and have this free shin kick, as is tradition here.
    *kicks shins so hard that the shockwaves travel half way round the world*

4. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

Shhhhh, don't burst his bubble, it took him a while to figure that out.(i'll assume since the patch was released a long time ago)

5. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

My God!

We're Tainted!

We're All Tainted!

Repent All Ye Sinners!

The End Is Nigh!

We're All Dooooomed!

EDIT:
    Gonna report this thread now, actually.

Since he's pretty much saying, "Hey, flame me!"

6. gravitysrainbow

gravitysrainbow IncGamers Member

it's just an attempt to get you vanilla guys to eat your own words. he probably got pissed somewhere along the way. in fact i bet it's that barbarian kid again..what..Tub?

Trivia value: um..6
    Motivational Ranking: 1

7. KatoZyEl

KatoZyEl IncGamers Member

:D Oh, I realize that SPF is now mod-friendly, but there are still those here of the mindset that "vanilla good, mod bad" when it comes to LOD.

Some of the ideas that Peter incorporated into 1.10 came from what he saw modders do with his original programming. He made changes that none of us modders could. Technically, has he not modified the original concept of Lord of Destruction? The big advantage he had was that he could re-compile the source code to do anything he wanted.

:rolleyes: All I wanted to do was point out that not all mods are drop mods and cheats. There are mods that actually try to make the game tougher - a lot tougher! And still be balanced. There are mods that make an honest attempt at expanding the playing experience of the game, made by modders who have the same intentions as Peter Hu. We've "spoken" to the Man and know his viewpoints and he ours.

My intention here was not to put anyone down or insult anyone. The topic was meant to get your attention and to open the lines of discussion.

8. Darkwell

Darkwell IncGamers Member

So he's the bastard that left the FE bug in the game? I say hang 'im.

9. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

I really don't recall many folks here condemning mods. :scratch: We did prohibit linking to most of them, but not because mods are evil.

Interesting thing is that we don' t even consider 1.10 to be necessarily the best patch (er, mod ;) ). Many folks still play 1.09 or 1.07, and some go to classic for the nostalgia.

10. gravitysrainbow

gravitysrainbow IncGamers Member

then you shoulda commented in the thread i have going instead of trying to tell these people that they're hypocrites.

i make no bones about it- i'm trying to motivate people to play the ME mod, but the stick just doesn't work on these folks. You've gotta sell it to them..which i'm trying to do so i have people to MP with...which..why are you saying all that again? you want to play in MP mod games or..make a point or..i dunno.

11. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Actually, if by 'we' you mean the forum in general, i think most would say 1.10 is the best patch. tough, yet probably the most balanced version, with the fewest major bugs (FE being the only really important bug).

12. Disco-neck Ted

Disco-neck Ted The Dark Library

Hmmm... let's see... your argument seems to be along the lines of "since he discussed changes with modders and took some of their suggestions, 1.10 is a mod."

This is countered by the obvious: "since he got feedback from non-modders and implemented some of their suggestions, 1.10 is not a mod."

Neither argument is really very valid. The whole process is like ongoing beta testing. Mods are game-play changes not issued by Blizz, and since 1.10 was officially released by them, it is (by circular definition) not a mod.

As for why "vanilla" is championed here, it is because SPF has a community standard that allows people who want to play un-modded to do so without (ideally) having to worry about being affected in MP or trades by mods.

Don't see why that is so hard for people to grasp. It has long been said that what someone does on his/her own PC is up to them, but they need to keep it from affecting other people. Too many times someone has tried to trade items from drop mods or joined MP games with chars that were built, run and equipped in modded games. That's where the morality comes in: we respect the right to play as one wishes right up until they pretend they aren't using any "assists". Then when the Zod/Tyrael's/Impossible Rare/Haxxed Char from a mod gets brought here under false pretenses, it constitutes lying and cheating. Simple enough.

13. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

Guys I think your taking this a bit too far. As evidenced by his prolific use of smilies the topic was intended to be lighthearted, perhaps even a dry, sarcastic, wit.

Lay off the guy. He clearly doesn't ACTUALLY want everyone to swear off the new patch.

14. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

As evidenced by coming in and making statements about the forum, baiting people, and generally asking people to flame him back - this poster is a troll.

I wonder, perhaps, given her/his apparent knowledge of our forum and its players, if they aren't perhaps someone we would all know and recognize under a different name. :rolleyes:

15. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

Actually, I knew Peter Hu when he was posting as Isolde on the PhrozenKeep and there is official documentation for the 1.10 patch as clearly stated by Blizzard. Anyway, big-ups to Kato and the ZyEl mod.

--T

16. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Tsk tsk, someone didn't get enough attention from mommy.

17. slappy sam

slappy sam IncGamers Member

You know what I thought when I read Hakai's post? Thats right.
    pwned.

Yes. I had to post this.

18. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

Agreed, but I still feel that some of you need to differentiate between a joke (albeight not a great one) and a personal attack.

19. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer IncGamers Member

The way he posted, he had these reactions coming. I think the reactions of the SPFers are within reason.

edit: in reaction to his post (he said he wanted a discussion), his reasoning is flawed. 1.10 is still an official release. just because blizzard asked for input from mod-makers doesn't make it any less official.

20. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Yeah, seriously. You and Kremtok being sinister villains is the least of our worries here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.