Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: It's Alive! It's Alive!!

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by ZappaFan, Feb 18, 2004.

1. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

OT: It's Alive! It's Alive!!

Some folks might remember that my primary computer went down WAY back over the holidays. BSD's, apparently a memory problem. I had suspected it was the motherboard but wasn't sure. My MSI mobo was still less than a year old so I could try to RMA it, but I wanted to be a little more sure that was really the problem. In my efforts to fix the thing, I tried formatting and reloading XP, but THEN my SCSI HD wouldn't boot. ARG!! I spent a couple of weeks at least just trying to get my SCSI HD to load XP, but it would never boot off the doggone thing no matter what I tried (completely removed my IDE HD).

So I did a lot of searching around different tech forums, and finally figured out that the "memory" problem was likely an inherent instability in the chipset that this mobo used (SiS 655 chipset). I bought this mobo just before the Intel 865/875 chipsets became all the rage last year - great timing on my part. It may be that there is actually something wrong with my "old" (as if 10 months was old!) motherboard, but all I could do is get a replacement of the same crap board, so I decided to just buy a new, better one.

So I bit the bullet and forked out $122 to Newegg for a Gigabyte motherboard based on the 875P chipset. It kicks the pants off the SiS 655 boards anyway.

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8IK1100.htm

Received my new mobo this week, installed like a dream, and XP loaded on my SCSI HD and it booted just like it was supposed to. So that makes me a happy boy. :)

2. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I totally call nerd on you, ZF :p

Glad to hear the computater is up and running. It's always nice to fix a problem yourself. That Newegg is fantastic; thanks again for reminding me about it, 'cuz you know, I'm a little slow on the uptake.

3. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

Another satisfied customer :jig:

4. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

Congrats, Zappa! Cool that you stuck it out and didn't give up.

I don't know much about chipsets, etc. I'm guessing your pc is a tad better than my 800 with the PC100 ram :scratch:

5. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

Well, that sounds cool, although I also have no idea about chipsets.

I've dumped my old PII 350MHz bomb and upgraded to a 2.8GHz Games Machine. Now my 850MHz laptop is relegated to 2nd place.

Have to quickly install D2 on it now, and really have some fun with my 2 comps.
    I'm also a very happy boy!

6. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

heh, almost sounds like me with my last 6 months of saving for upgrades.

Got a fancy new mobo (ABIT IS7-E), and a few months later a vid card to replace my old mobo with onboard graphics, only to discover that my CPU wouldn't work with it. So I had to go out and get one of those also. So after about 4 months since buying the mobo I could finaly load up XP.

7. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

On a related note, how long until everyone will want an MB with socket 775?
    Or 939 for the AMD folk out there...

8. ZappaFan

Heh, that's going to be a while for me. I usually run about a year behind the leading edge stuff at least. This motherboard will do hyper-threading when I finally upgrade the processor. Right now I have a 2.63 GHz, and that should be fine for a while. This motherboard is compatible with the new Intel Prescott processors, but the jury is still kind of out on those IMO. But by the time I'm ready for a CPU upgrade they'll have a lot more mileage under their belt.

9. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

I'm of the oppinion that when its time to upgrade you'd be better off putting a few more bucks for better hardware. That way the system you end up with is good for the next few years and should hopefully run new software that comes out.

10. ZappaFan

One of the strongest points of this motherboard, according to the reviews on it, is that it's well suited to grow with, so I feel pretty good about that aspect.

11. moby

moby IncGamers Member

Don't take it personal but I disagree with ya ;)

I find it best to look for the sweet spot on all the components I put in my computers. Buying the newest and best of things can be pricey.

Do I really need a $300+ graphics card.........NO, not when I can buy one that's 6months to a year out of date and spend $100. I haven't built a system this year, but the last two I built only cost between $400-500 and the systems can do everything anyone would want to do. If I went top of the line, I'd be spending $1500. By just taking one step down, one can save a ton.

Also, I'm sure most of you know, but keep an eye out for deals. Many stores have great deals on computer components, Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, etc..I don't think I've spent more than $19.00 on a CD writer in years, many times I get them free after rebates. Last year I built a whole system, including monitor for $100.00, all with parts purchased that had rebates :)

I won't post it here, but there are many websites which have forums dedicated to posting these host deals.

Glad to hear your computer is working Zappa, sorry If I hijacked your thread.

-moby

12. ZappaFan

This motherboard isn't the the newest and best by any stretch. It's almost a year old and was only $122. ;) It's a moderately priced motherboard. It's not a cheapie, but there's a LOT more expensive mobo's out there, that's for sure.

13. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

wow, this is a confusing thread, im not big into all the logistics behind computers, i just like turning on the moniter and doing my thing, i will have to have my dad come visit me and take care of all my computer needs when im an adult, living along... ;)

while i dont understand much of what you said what with all the motherboard, giga this, mega that, intel chipsets, mobo ABIT IS7-E and all, Good job fixing your computer!

The extent of my computer fixing knowledge is:

A. Calling for help
    B. Hitting the moniter. (it sometimes changes to a different set of colors.. a good whack smacks some sense into the thing though, it doesnt act up again for a few days, but let me tell you, when it makes RED look BLACK, and you are playing diablo, woohoo, looks like you just died instantly, its scary.)

-Matt