Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT ish - About Ethics, and D2

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Hythopian Shade, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Hythopian Shade

Hythopian Shade IncGamers Member

OT ish - About Ethics, and D2

Here's a conversation I had with one of my real-life friends. . . I consider him to be one of my best friends, but this conversation didn't really feel right. . .

Laszlo says:
    hey could you send
    Laszlo says:
    me your amazone
    Laszlo says:
    amazon
    HyShade says:
    huh?
    Laszlo says:
    all the files that contain her stuff with her name on it
    Laszlo says:
    so i have an amazon
    HyShade says:
    uh
    HyShade says:
    I still play her
    Laszlo says:
    the lightning furry one
    Laszlo says:
    its ok
    Laszlo says:
    only off line for me
    HyShade says:
    uh
    HyShade says:
    why don't you download some sort of trainer and make one like that?
    Laszlo says:
    its easier this way
    HyShade says:
    no offense, but I don't really want to give her to you. . . it would be different if you were just going to borrow her for a bit
    Laszlo says:
    ?
    Laszlo says:
    make a copy
    Laszlo says:
    you would not loose anything
    HyShade says:
    I know
    HyShade says:
    but I spent the time leveling her, playing her, and finding all her items
    HyShade says:
    just doesn't seem right
    Laszlo says:
    err
    HyShade says:
    why not just make one yourself?
    Laszlo says:
    as i stated before and the fact that I can check out what you have; I really don’t see what is the big deal here
    Laszlo says:
    I put in much time into getting some of the things I give you and I just do….
    HyShade says:
    I would feel awkward sending you something I spent time on
    HyShade says:
    ack
    HyShade says:
    I can't really explain this well
    Laszlo says:
    So im not following this too well - you don’t like sharing?
    HyShade says:
    . . . fine, i'll send you a copy of her, but without items
    Laszlo says:
    don’t bother
    HyShade says:
    ok
    Laszlo says:
    thx any way

I finally broke down and offered to send it to him, sans items, but he declined. I will probably see him on the weekend, so this I doubt this is over. . . I just hope he doesn't take it the wrong way.

2. moi

moi IncGamers Member

duping = baaad. you did the right thing ;)

3. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I think the level 99 chars and item pack are available from the front page here, still . . .

You did good. :)

4. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Good job staying with the argument. You did the right thing.

crg

5. Qizit

Qizit Guest

I very rarely post here. I'm more of a lurker, but this bothers me. You did the right thing. Don't even send the naked amazon to this person. Just tell them it is your character and that this person should make their own if they want one.

6. x trAviNs

x trAviNs IncGamers Member

I think you did the right thing. I would've done the same in your place. By giving him a fully made character, the game would lose its appeal quickly. Tell your friend or try to make him see that he'd get bored of his new toy after about .0000001 hours of gameplay. Then go out and :drink: until you're like :buddies:. He'll probably forgive you if he's a good friend :winner:

7. Select

Select IncGamers Member

i say it was the right thing to do. but really, something is sad if not sending him your char upsets him in Real Life. seriously, kick him in the pants if he brings it up this weekend cause thats just weird. . .unless he says something dumb like "i thought you would be a good friend, but i guess Diablo 2 has shown your true colors NOOB!" :p dont worry about hehe

8. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

i'm going to have to argue with people here

you didn't really do "the right thing"... it's not like he was asking you to commit a crime... it's a video game character - it's not really a big deal at all. if you don't want to give it to him, don't... if you do - well then do. either way, it really doesn't matter

there are bigger things to worry about in life than duping a character for a video game.

9. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Good choice withstanding him. You did the right thing. :thumbsup:

10. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

Well, with all the comments here I've just got to say . . .

Durf, where hell did you get that tar???? :lol:

For the record, I agree. I wouldn't copy my char either.

11. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

I'm sure he is aware of that and so is everyone else on this forum but within the context of the game he did the right thing, also this forum does not look well upon duping which he would have been doing had he given his friend his char. I believe that if Hythopian had to either dupe his char or save the life of a poor little kitty he would see the light of Real Life and make the right decision AKA save the kitty :lol: .

Unless of course Hythopian really hates kitty cats but I don't know of anyone that does :scratch:

12. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

I'm sure you all know how I feel on this one... :)

:thumbsup:

13. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Join the crowd!!!

14. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Good call. I'd have been the same way, especially with a character I was attached to. If he's so eager to have a char like yours, he can work for it, or cheat and hack his way there, but you don't need to be a party to it. :)

15. brainfloss

brainfloss IncGamers Member

You did the right thing, in the context of this community. But as long as your friend is not a member of this community, then his actions don't matter here.

Our code of ethics must seem quite unusual to an outsider - "You're playing a game in which it would be quite easy to hack yourselves ultra-powerful characters, and yet you don't? You want to play the game without cheating - why not play on closed Battle.net?"

16. Hythopian Shade

Hythopian Shade IncGamers Member

Thanks for all your support :) Even though I knew I was doing the right thing, it makes me feel better hearing it from others.

As for my friend, he isn't part of these forums even though he has been playing SP since getting D2. I guess these forum ethics seem odd to him, but ironically enough he's writing a book about "universally oriented ethics" or something to that extent.

@ Durf: That avatar is just plain wrong, and freaky. The animated version of it is worse o_O If it only had a knife that was the size of its body, it almost reminds me of those fetish in act 3. . .

17. farting bob

farting bob Banned

well done shade for not giving in too soon. send him a blank lvl 1 character and tell him to be happy.

18. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

I think you did the right thing, and I think it is very important; your ethics have value no matter how trivial the subject may be.

This may be just video game, and the character an ephemereal concept in digital form, but in a very real way, it represents your efforts, and work. Why should someone else benefit from it, if you don't feel so inclined?

To a larger extent, a request as innocuous as this one may have repercussive value; suppose he feels you have no qualms on sharing things that may not seem trivial?

I believe that in a situation, the principle involved is more important than the matter at hand, and if your principles tell you it is wrong, than you acted in the absolutely correct way...judging by your comments, I think you would have felt much worse satisfying your friend at the sake of comprimising your values.

Good luck, and if this friend is important to you, I hope he has gained a greater respect for you, you deserve it.

Steve

19. ULTIMATER

ULTIMATER IncGamers Member

Nah, that would be too harsh, atleast leave the Javelins and Buckler on her. :p

20. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

I think you would be able to explain your feelings to him better in real life than through a chat interface. I really can understand your feelings - you put the time and effort into playing the character through the game and equipping her. By asking you to just send a copy he wasn't really showing any respect for the work you put into the character. You suggested a trainer or editor (which I have no problems with in this context) because you didn't mind him playing a high level javazon - you just didn't want him playing *your* high level javazon.

Chris