Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Indy IV (possible spoiler as thread goes on)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by schillerdc78, May 23, 2008.

1. schillerdc78

schillerdc78 IncGamers Member

OT: Indy IV (possible spoiler as thread goes on)

I went to see the new Indiana Jones Movie on wednesday, the perfect movie for everyone playing Diablo, after all he did find the (holy, not item) grail in part 3.
    But as for part 4, I left the cinema a bit disapointed. Don't misunderstand me, the movie was good. Lots of action, typical Indy humour and the bad guys die.

But still something was missing.
    In the other movies it doesn't take Professor Jones very long to kiss the girl, it's part of his character to do it. Here it takes for ever. Maybe because he got older?

I am German so I don't want to glorify the Nazis (I hate those guys) but still I missed them. You just can't hate a russian woman in grey tights as good as you can hate an evil SS-officer.

Those are just two of the many little things i missed, but none the less, it is a real Indy movie. No question about it.

Has anyone else seen it yet? What are your opinions?

cheers

SchillerDC78

2. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Re: OT: Indy IV (possible spoiler as thread goes on)

I thought it was great fun, but the ending let it down a fair bit. Too over the top. And I agree about the russian lady, she was bad, in a good way, but not as good as other bad guys. The Ant Death scene was pretty cool, really creeped out the rest of my family :laugh:

3. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

I thought it was the most ridiculous movie I'd ever seen, even more ridiculous than Transporter 2 where he drives off that ramp, does a barrel role, knocks the bomb on the bottom of his car with the crane, then lands and speeds off as if nothing ever happened.

I mean, getting in a fridge and surviving a nuke where the rest of the town was evaporated??? Then landing hundreds of feet away and just walking out... Also, the last 30 minutes was a little out there as well. It seemed as if Spielberg didn't really try on this movie.

However, I did find the movie entertaining. Lots of action and what not, kind of sad that this will most likely be the last one ever, I heard they're giving Shia (or however you spell it) his own movie series similar to Indiana Jones. I think he actually did a pretty good job in this movie, so I'm kind of looking forward to those if we can't get anymore Indy movies.

4. Hoop76

Hoop76 IncGamers Member

Maybe im in the minority. I thought it was really good, and lived up to the other 3 movies. I guess people are just looking for something to not like.

5. bobbittle

bobbittle IncGamers Member

I went to a local midnight showing and while I had a great time and enjoyed most of the movie, overall I thought it could be better.

***Spoiler Alert (Again!)***

I thought the ending was absolutely horrid, I found most of the jungle special effects cheesy and fake looking, Indy's "sidekick" was a mistake from the beginning. But STILL, it was Indy. =D

6. colony

colony IncGamers Member

I think I agree with you, I went in with low expectations and thought that it wasn't too bad.

7. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Loved it. It isn't going to wind up in my top five movies of all time or anything, but it was better than I thought it would be, and I felt it lived up to the previous Indy movies... it felt a lot like Last Crusade, in terms of its general attitude.

It *was* over the top, of course... but isn't that the point? The idea of one guy taking on a brigade of Nazis in Raiders or Last Crusade was also absurd... that's the way the genre goes. I thought the way they handled Indy's character as a 60-yr-old was terrific, and I really only had problems with a couple of the CGI bits (Mutt + monkeys + vines = another George Lucas Ewok kid-pleaser. Ugh.).

8. Hoop76

Hoop76 IncGamers Member

I got to admit my son liked the monkeys lol. I thought it great, and a lot better than most of the other movies ive seen lately.

9. RssDiablo

RssDiablo IncGamers Member

I thought it was enjoyable. Plot was so-so, but some real nice action sequences.

I couldn't help but think that if they found the holy grail, and it heals people, then as far as the story goes, God (and afterlife and all that) is real, right? That would mean that God created humans right? But if that's so, then who made the damned aliens? I haven't heard anything about them in the bible. To me it was kind of like combining Harry Potter and LOTR in that they are on opposites sides of the same spectrum. But I really dont know what I'm talking about and this most liekly doesn't make any sense to anyone.

I also couldn't help but half expect alien or predator to jump out the walls (unpleased when it was just native americans).

Definitly worth watching though.
    Makes me want to pull an all nighter and watch the first three.

-rss

10. Rizzo

Rizzo IncGamers Member

Overall a decent movie. Imho it lived up to #1 and #2, but not #3.
    The ending was bad, and it was just all too obvious. After 15 minutes I knew what it was all about, and that, in my opinion, is no good.
    Ant scene was cool, the nuclear explosion was cool, the jokes were typical Indy, but he IS older, and you can feel it.
    And oh yeah, as Schillerdc78 pointed out, it should've been Nazis instead.

11. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

I don't think I'm going to watch it. Perhaps when it airs on tv, or someone has it on DVD or something, but not in the cinema. I found the first movie great, the 2nd horrific(I was 12 or so when I watch it... the part where Indy is about to kill his love interest because he's being controlled by the thuggies gave me several nightmares...) in more then one way appratenly, and the third one awesome. All were appealing to me, since I liked the contents of all three (I was esepcially curious to see Sean Connery as indy's father when indy 3 came out). But this one seems to hold no appeal for me at least.

And Indy should be facing nazi's. It's a popular myth(or is it? :grin:) that the Nazis and in particular Himmler and Hitler were fascinated by the occult.

12. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

Just finished watching it less than an hour ago.
    Found it fun enough.
    Nothing extraordinary, but decent Hollywood movie.
    Not deep, and was entertaining.

Didn't find any particular scene to think of afterwards, and neither the ants nor the a-bomb got my attention, maybe because I read it here before watching it. :tongue:

But it was still money well-spent.
    Considering I was sleepy with slight headache when I entered the cinema, and was wide awake less the headache afterwards. That's a fair deal for me. :grin:

Will rate it at around 6.5 out of 10.

--maxgerin

13. Cauthon

Cauthon IncGamers Member

It was a fun movie; it does not stand up well to any deep examination (but, I would argue, none of the Indy movies does). They kept in tongue in cheek, had fun with it, and are aiming for an entertaining movie.

Don't question it too hard, just enjoy it.

14. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

To preface, I'll say I'm glad I saw it, and again glad I saw it in the theatre. I had to sit in the front row, though; it was the first showing in Austin, and I arrived about ten minutes before showtime. Craned neck...

I'll tell you the exact moment I knew it was an Indy film: when Indy first gets punched. It's the exact same sound effect, like hitting a thick steak with a 2x4.

It was at times disappointing, but so is everything else in my life. :azn: The plot was off the mark IMO, and I hate the use of CGI. The ants were a cool, yet disgusting, section. But much too... fake. Think back to the other movies; I think in almost every situation, they used live animals (with the exception of the rhino horn in the Last Crusade). In this one, ALL the animals are CGI besides a snake for about fifteen seconds. Even the groundhogs in the opening are CGI. ...It's become much too commonplace, and I strongly dislike it. I'd more enjoy a Caddyshack puppet before fake computer crap.

Also, I felt the cast was pretty lacking. OK, it was neat to see the original Indy girl come back. But the only reason SHE'S back is 'cause they killed off his father and Dr. Brody (the guy who played him died, right? Denholm Elliot?). Indy had no other connection to the rest of the world... hence the lack of a cool cast. Everyone else in the story was completely new. Half jokingly and half seriously, I say the writers could have changed out some of the iconoclastic parts (ie, the A-bomb, motorcycles, tree-tearing machinery) and made this into the newest Pirates of the Carribean and it would feel more at home.

I still liked it. I just like to rant. :grin:

15. iomanip

iomanip IncGamers Member

didn't like it at all, and i wouldn't recommend anyone paying to see it.. also, Harrison Ford is very old.

peace