Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: I just got hacked.

Discussion in 'Druid' started by xpumafangx, Oct 25, 2006.

1. xpumafangx

xpumafangx Diabloii.Net Member

OT: I just got hacked.

Ya all my good stuff on ladder and most charms on nonladder are all gone. There was only one person that knows my password.. KIBA

I know he most likely didnt take my stuff. Because he has all his own stuff as well. But still whats up with this.

2. Clay bizzle

Clay bizzle Diabloii.Net Member

We need to get to the bottom of this. Bump.

3. Lyrs

Lyrs Diabloii.Net Member

And just how simple was your password?

4. Bad Religion

Bad Religion Banned

hmmm....I hope Kiba wouldn't do that, besides he does have alot of gg gear on his own. sry for your loss though, man :(

5. Yossarian

Yossarian Diabloii.Net Member

It's been happening all over west.

And I think there is a 0% chance Kiba did it.

6. xpumafangx

Ya kiba didnt do it. I think I might know who did. It comes down two 2 others.

1. sage-necro,bk-sage, and theres a 3rd acct i know they have. Lets just say i dont like this person.

2. it was the same person that got on the acct that was donated to wolfpack. Even tho I was able to make a werewolf out of the stuff. And gave the charms away to a low itemed using member on nonladder. The only resson why I would belive this is because that person took the same kind of stuff that was stolen from that acct. Ebotd runewords that are commonly known as good.

3. Some one that put some kind of hack on my computer it has been acting up. So not shure.

Ill talk more latter im remaking accts.

My old password was ddhh22ff67h., Simple NO!

7. Kiba

Kiba Diabloii.Net Member

I wouldnt steal from a freind like puma since i know for a fact that i can trust him 110% and he trusts me.

i made a vid bout kiba in respone too this , can prob look it up on youtube and search for diablo kiba or browse my tube username Wolfz666

8. kikomun

kikomun Diabloii.Net Member

damn another west victim...the hellokitty thingy by any chance?

9. mali

mali Diabloii.Net Member

Ugh... gotta be REALLY careful nowadays...
    Sad for your loss Puma...

10. xpumafangx

I did find spyware on my computer, meduim threat lvl. It didn't have anything about hellokitty on it so umm nope.

Ink just got home and he is going to check his acct as well when he goes to work. This is going to at least take up to next year to get my onladder werewolf up to par with everyone else, again. At least they didnt get to my mule accts.

I still think its most likly a bruteforce going around.

kiba allmost got hit too. Some one was trying to get on his.

11. pedu

pedu Diabloii.Net Member

Watched the vid. And... ehhh... why? Is it a joke that im not getting?

12. mali

mali Diabloii.Net Member

Someone tried logging onto my account... no dice tho'.

13. Warmongers

Warmongers Diabloii.Net Member

Bruteforce sounds very viable, as some of the people who got hacked did not report any spyware/trojans/viruses/worms. I sure hope not, though. If someone is able to force their way into someone's account just by using the internet, then basically everyone who has more than 100 HR's worth of items on their ladder account is in danger of losing theirs.

14. TechMonster

TechMonster Diabloii.Net Member

Well, to shed some light on this (I hack for a living on almost a daily basis), I think it's a bit of "lucky password guessing" more than actual bruteforce. The latter relies on a wordlist, which in order to be effective should contain at least tens of thousands of passwords, and variations of each password. It's very time consuming, and the more failed attempts you have, chances are you'll get an IP ban.

The solution is very simple: Create stronger passwords. Avoid getting hacked by creating a new account with a strong password (one that is at least 8 characters long, and contains several elements), and start moving all your stuff. Regardless, if the person that hacked your account is a friend, then it's relatively easier to guess your password. For all intents and purposes, do NOT use 123456, 654321, a, 911, letmein, stud, eastcoast, or anything else that makes a hacker's job all that much easier.

I can't even begin to imagine how it feels to log on one day to realize that all my valuable, hard-earned, stuff is missing!

Go ahead and re-build... Either that, or wait for D3!

Cheers.

Tech

15. Warmongers

Warmongers Diabloii.Net Member

Very informative post, tech. Would you happen to know if it is possible to somehow track someone's password-typing online, without the use of a keylogger? For example using java to pull up info? I had a site pull up my internal IP address even though it's supposedly masked. I had every port stealthed, as well.

16. Barnical

Barnical Diabloii.Net Member

Well last night I ran into that *Sage-necro guy with his barbarian, and when I killed him 4 times, he ran to get his necro, then he managed to get a kill on me and NK like no other.

Point of my rambling is that he threatened to hack me and he seems to have a short temper. I believe he did it.

17. Veilside

Veilside Diabloii.Net Member

If 1 in 100 people who threaten to hack in D2 could hack the game would be full of these things happening. That and i presume that most people who do know how to hack have enough intelligence not to go around stating that fact. Just because someone's an immature loser doesn't mean you should take his e-threats seriously.

Hope you get your wolf up and running soon puma.

18. xpumafangx

Barnical, I dont think that kid did it. Ya they have a short temper. Why I piss him off every chance I can get. One day they just got on my last nerve. And I am not the only person that does that too him eather. The Aussy channel hates him too.

TechMonster,

So its not bruteforce but a person that got it by a lucky guess? And they keep track of passwords theyve used on me in the past? The strange thing about this is that they seamed to take the same kind of items from another acct I was given. A wile back. Changing accts over would be rough. Because I tend to use all 8 of my slots. Thats all good to know so. Any ways thanks.

19. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj Diabloii.Net Member

*sage-necro... I think I've seen that name before... USWest SCLadder?

I'm sure I've seen him in the USWest-AUS-1 channel some time in the past. Not sure how long ago though.

What were the actual names of his characters? The barb and the necro in question, I think I may have duelled the necro at some time.

EDIT: There he is, in channel-AUS-1 with his barb JIM_CRICKET RIGHT NOW if you want to find him...

I think the necro was Infexion or something... maybe

20. TechMonster

TechMonster Diabloii.Net Member

Err.. Track your password typing online? I don't know about you, but that's a scary thought!

As far as I know, the only way to do this remotely is if I've taken control of your router. Normally, protocols such as SNMP are enabled on the router and this protocol just doesn't know how to shut up! In any case, regardless of the language was used to determine your IP, it's still possible. Again, it's your router's fault.

Think of it this way: When you tell the router to fetch a website for you, it "tells" itself who to send the data back to (basically, your PC's IP). I would have to research this a bit more tho...

XPUMA:

This is an age-old story... "I know what I have to do, I just can't be asked to do it!". Perhaps the hacker is not the only one to blame for an easy hack.

Tech