Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Help, my sound card is dying!!!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Pijus, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

OT: Help, my sound card is dying!!!

I need advice.

I have a sound card that is intergrated into the motherboard, and I think it is dying. I can hear scratches in some sounds, and the computer lags when I hear them. So far I noticed:

When listening to music(on winamp) and browsing some websites, using the mousewheel makes a lot of scratches(and abit of lag)(they sound kind of like distorted clicks, I can't describe it any better).

Alt-Tabbing from and to D2 caused a few seconds of scratches and game lag.

Some videos on the internet(star wars gangsta rap SE) play with scratches(few and quiet ones with no lag), others without.

The sound in Red Faction guerrilla has alot of scratches, but only a bit of lag.

Anyone have any ideas or advice? I'm going to defragment my hard drive tonight to see if it helps, but I'm not hopeful.

2. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

Re: OT: Help, my sound card is dying!!!

If it sounds scratchy, perhaps you just need to clean the needle.

;)

3. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

And you're sure its not the speakers? Have you tried disabling the device in hardware manager? Is it a laptop or the likes, can you put a new one in?

4. Corale

Corale IncGamers Member

You can probably disable the built in sound card in the BIOS. Usually you get into the BIOS setup by pressing "del" on computer startup but it varies.

Then off to the shoppe and get a new internal card to replace the integrated one. Install it, start windows, and see what happens :)

Should work!

5. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

@Itnoz: It's a desktop. The sound card is integrated into the motherboard.

Could it be malfunctioning from heat or dust?

6. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Well, if your computer is dusty, it needs to be cleaned, period. Dust can cause all kinds of problems. Heat ... only really seems to be a possible issue here if 1. the computer is dusty, specifically around the sound card chip and/or 2. you've recently gotten this computer. If it was a problem of inadequate cooling/bad case airflow to begin with, you would expect to have seen signs almost immediately. Plus, I highly doubt that's the problem, anyway.

Have you been in your computer recently? Touched the motherboard? Had anything else touch the motherboard? If yes to any of these, there's a possibility there was electrical discharge that damaged the board, but this seems unlikely as you'd expect more damage than just minor sound card damage, but stranger things have happened.

But, my first guess would be that this problem is either: 1, the speakers or 2, the port you plug the speakers in. Try using different speakers and see if they work properly. If that doesn't work, try plugging them into a different port. Just make sure you're using an outbound port.

If those don't work, I don't really have much advice to give you, sadly. I will say, though, that if you decide to add-in an aftermarket sound card, you should make sure it works with the connectors on your motherboard (PCI, PCIe; 4x, 1x; etc.)

7. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

Neither a different port, nor using my headphones didn't help.