Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: help me create a new class: the thief

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by HBeachBabe, Feb 28, 2004.

1. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

OT: help me create a new class: the thief

I'm sure the notion of new classes for a theoretical D3 has been discussed ad nauseum around here, but how many of those ideas went beyond just a class name and basic description?

I'd like to design a new D2 class complete with 30 skills in 3 trees, a class-specific item and other factors involved in individual classes (such as swing speeds and stamina rates, etc).

Of course this has no value beyond the intellectual exercise of it but it could be fun.

My class is tentatively called 'thief' but that could change. so far I have the 3 skill trees: blade skills, staff skills, and stealth skills.

Blade skills, obviously, involve dagger & throwing knife skills and remedies a huge game oversight, that being that daggers are basially worthless. Here is a class that would specialize in them, being able to kill with them just as amazons kill with a bow and barbarians with a sword.

Staff skills use staffs as melee weapons allowing for a more martial-arts style fighting with a blunt instrument. similar to Amazons using either bows or javalins/spears, I envision thieves using either daggers or staves (staff-weilders would be more like Monks from old D&D or a Friar Tuck-type I suppose.)

Stealth skills are similar to Amazon passive/magic skils, giving the theif skills & abilities to move stealthily, see in the dark and avoid being seen and/or hit. The trick here is to not overlap with assasins too much.

so far, the skills I have come up with are:
    Blade tree:
    Dagger mastery - same as barbarian mastery or 'sins claw mastery with chance of deadl strike
    Open wounds (passive) - like 'zons critical strike, but offering a percentage chance causing open wounds when using a dagger-class weapon
    Blinding (passive) - as above but % chance to blind target when using a dagger-class weapon
    Poison dagger timed/aura-type) - similar to Necro & Assassin skills
    Retrieve/Replenish - allows theives to retrieve thrown blades in effect reducing/eliminating the need to replenish thowing knives
    Stab - increases damage but reduces your own defense
    Slash - increases attack speed and damage with each successive hit
    Multi-throw - similar to 'zon multi-shot, but for use with throwing knives
    Disembowel - (lvl 30 skill) a vicious attack does increased damage and increases AR as well as having a high chance to cause open wounds
    2 more skills needed

staff tree:
    staff mastery - same as barb mastery
    Parry (passive) - allows a chance to block, similar to 'sins claw block skill
    Pummel - similar to barb's Bash skill
    Thrust - similar to 'zon Jab skill
    Spin - thief uses both ends of staff to hit same opponent multiple times or multiple adjacent opponents
    Stun - similar to barb skill
    Disarm - each successive hit reduces the AR & damage done by attacking monsters
    3 more needed

Stealth tree:
    Night vision - adds to light radius. at higher levels could even allow seeing enemies behind walls/obstructions (timed effect)
    Skulk :creep: - increases defense while moving, but reduces speed. can't be used with shield (passive)
    Conceal - Increases defense while standing still. can't be used with shield (passive)
    Waterwalk - allows theif to 'walk' on water or over 'gaps' (such as in the Arcane Sanctuary) similar to Barb's leap but not leaping over barriors, just for use on 'flat' surfaces. can't be used with shield
    Firewalk - allows the thief to walk through firewalls, firesplashes, burning rogues tied to stakes, etc, and take reduced damage
    Steal - allows Theif to pick up items on the ground otherwise outside of his normal range, similar to Sorcs. telekenisis but more limited
    Deactivate - offers %chance to not trigger traps on barrels/chests/urns, etc as well as assassin traps in PvP (passive)
    Resist poison (passive) - increase poison resistance an reduces poison length
    Shadow walk - by staying hidden in the shadows, the thif can move to any location on screen without being seen or attacked by enemies in betwen - in effect, similar to Sorc's teleport
    1 more needed

for class-specific item, I am debating between some kind of boots, belts or perhaps the jewlry slots as an amulet could be a good place for theives to stor their tools of the trade. I'm leaning towards belts though as it works for both dagger and staff oriented characters, could have + to skills (as would daggers/staffs in my revised game) and belts just seem like things thieves would use to store thieving tools.

Theives would prefer light armor and no shield, eithe using 2-hand staves or dual weilding daggers (or dagger & thowing knife)

what is clearly laking so far are elemental damage skills and skills for throwing knife thieves. I'd love to hear any ideas anyone has for other skill. once I have 30 skills, I'll make up a tree with the skills in order.

If you hate my ideas or have better ones, I'd love to hear them. Sure it's pointless, but then "having a Patriarch in Diablo II" isn't exactly something to put on your resume either so just take this in the spirit of fun in which it's presented.

If this simply doesn't belong in the forum, I apologize. Please don't tar & feather me.

2. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

3. Boddah_khan

Boddah_khan IncGamers Member

Actually, for a mod I've been working on for a while, there is a thief class. I just changed the assassin class..... I may have to steal a few of your ideas for skills however :evil: . And for those who are worried about tainted items, none of the original sets/uniques or even item types are in the mod. Completely new. Cheers!

4. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

What is this mod you speak of? And what do these D2 concepts do for anyone? Are they just for the pleasure of making for someone to read, or do people actually make D2 mods? lol

5. Boddah_khan

Mod: Modification of the game. You can change (almost) every aspect of the game. Google up the phrozen keep. There are quite a few very nice mods there, such as Eastern sun. Cheers!

6. HBeachBabe

it's a pointless, possibly fun mental exercise in 'what might have been' Nothing more

7. HBeachBabe

I'm curious what skills you deemed worthy

8. Boddah_khan

Disarm sounds really cool. I'd probably just leave it at reducing damage however. A lot of your ideas were really similar to mine though. I have added a dagger mastery. I also have a skill "perforate" which is similar to a couple of mention skills. It basically has a chance to open wounds on an opponent. Also, I have added an equivalent to the blinding skill, "eye gouge". The slash skill is also pretty neat, I'd just clone the frenzy skill and change it to 1 weapon. I don't think I could add dual-dagger wielding though. It would entail adding new animations, and I'm not up to that. But I guess the assasin wearing wrist-sword class weapons animation does sort-of look like 2 daggers. As for the staff skills, I'll leave those to my monk class (druid). Cheers!

9. newb-newb-newb2

newb-newb-newb2 IncGamers Member

THANK YOU! I've always wanted working DII-mods, but never found any. Now I can finally begin making my own mods :D