Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Hearing aids help

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thyiad, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I'm hoping for some ideas here. My uncle is 87, with brutal arthritis and wears two hearing aids. It's getting increasingly difficult to speak with him on the phone because no matter how I set the phone, he presses buttons when holding the receiver and then can't hear me.

Do any of you guys and gals have elderly relatives in a similar situation and what do you use? I'm 60-90 mins away and I can't go over everytime I get "I can't hear you". Nor can I ring the staff at 3am to go fix it because he's pressed something.

During the day he wears hearing aids but not at night. I don't think they have a "telephone" switch; he certainly couldn't work it if they did because of his hands.

Ideally he needs a cordless phone - or at least one cordless handset for the bedroom.

Thanks in advance.

2. BBS_Agonistes

BBS_Agonistes IncGamers Member

There are some amplified telephones with really huge buttons on the market. Do you think that would help?

I clicked because my 4 year old son has cochlear implants. Speaker phone is a must for him if I want to chat with him on a trip. Phones tend to cut out the "beef" of frequencies, so a more substantial speaker phone setting might help.

3. OldSoldier

OldSoldier IncGamers Member

Can you instead talk during the hours he normally wears his hearing aids? Maybe I misunderstand but I'm not normally awake at 3 AM myself, let alone my elders. I'd suggest a speaker phone also unless it will bother others.

4. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Interesting that you both mention speaker phones. It's not something we've tried .. except when he accidentally hits the button!

I should explain to @OldSoldier that the reason we speak at stupid-o-clock is that I'm working nights. Tom has never really slept through the night (ex truck driver, used to napping), so he is awake during those hours. He usually phones me as I am going to work and then again while either at work or on the way back. He knows I'll be awake. When I phone him, he's usually on the loo or doesn't get to the phone. Because he doesn't work the answering machine, he then guesses who has phoned him. A month or so ago, he managed to phone my father instead of me. Unsurprisingly dad was not a happy bunny because he is usually asleep at 2am. :D

I'm going to try a speaker phone, one with a big speaker button so hopefully it'll be very clear which one it is. I'm also hoping that I can solve the issue where he's turning the volume down on the phone (audio speech and ringer) but I don't doubt that's exacerbating the issues.

Thanks for the responses; it hadn't even occurred to me that the phone with a hearing aid would not be simple.

BBS_Agonistes likes this.
  5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I cannot help you regarding the hearing aid I failed at that as well. Even though my father has a hearing aid (which cost 2000€ or so BTW), he's wearing them almost never. What a waste!

Your uncle obviously needs a telephone with all buttons on the main case instead of the receiver. There are telephones for seniors with extra big buttons. I don't think he needs "freestyle speakers", that might be a problem at 2AM if he's living in an apartment and they are set to a rather high volume. He might need extra loud speakers in the receiver, however. It's not unplausible that the volume settings in a senior telephone allow that :).

I would suggest one telephone in the bedroom and one in the living room.

6. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

With MrsNix potentially loosing her hearing after her operation next week we have been looking into this problem. Here are a couple things we have come across.

The combination of a TTY phone and the National Relay is available in Australia, I assume there is something similar in the UK, it is a useful way for a person with a hearing problem to communicate.

Phone flashers are also a good idea for the evening when your uncle isn't wearing his hearing aids. When the phone rings a bright light flashes. You can get smoke alarms that do the same.

With your uncle's arthritis this may not be possible but if he has problems hearing speech face to face, there is a speech to text app for a smartphone.