Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Guild Wars 1

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Kitteh, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Hey!

I wondered if we have any Guild Wars players here? I haven't played it for a long time, but I'd quite like to do a weekly play through as its a great co-op game in my opinion. Would anybody be interested?

Kitteh

2. necrolemming

necrolemming Diabloii.Net Member

I... played a lot of it.

I can't help but be bitter at Arenanet's neglect of GW1. Sure, the PvE content is playable solo, but it's very difficult to not notice that every aspect of the game has been permeated by unchecked botting.

3. Kitteh

It has? I haven't played it for years, but I don't think there was much of that when I played.

4. necrolemming

necrolemming Diabloii.Net Member

Kamadan's the major trading hub these days. Look at AD1's chat and it'll be inundated in gold seller spam. There's also one in GtoB who's been there since before I started playing again - literally three years of the same account advertising a gold selling site.

For months after the most recent banwave of any kind (early 2015), the price of Armbraces was in the 30-40 ecto range. It's over 110 now because ectos are bottable and armbraces aren't. The market value of a stack of ectoplasms was still in the $30 range around 2015; it's down to $4 now.

Apropos of that, that banwave was the last time they actually enforced any of their play policies - it caught enough innocent players that they issued a global amnesty for all time. People who were banned for hacking back in 2010 got their accounts back with zero questions asked.

99% of GvG ladder matches, Heroes' Ascent matches, and Codex Arena matches, as well as a large portion of Random Arenas matches are just people multiboxing to play against their own accounts to grind PvP title tracks. Jade Quarry has dozens of bots in it at all time - odds are that if you're in a match, you'll be the only human out of the 16 players. Even in high end GvG, guilds that use bots without even trying to hide it go without any kind of enforcement; it's only because they're not very good at the game that somehow none of them have won a championship yet.

That's also about the only thing support is good at with regards to GW1 - their security procedures are so lax that it's practically impossible to keep accounts from being phished through asking support. This culminated a year ago in Gaile Gray's (Anet's community representative) account being stolen through making up fake personal information. Naturally, they made the requisite noises about how it'd never happen again, but they haven't actually done anything - well known players are still getting their accounts targeted and stolen all the time. Virtually all of the classic famous guilds from the era when GW1 was at the forefront of esports have been lost through having the guild leaders' accounts stolen, for instance.

The worst part is that all of this has been normalized to what I think is a shameful extent. People asking about it are inevitably going to be met with the normal arguments of "we should be grateful the servers still work" or "the economy/these game modes wouldn't work without bots" or "just put the gold sellers on ignore.".

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Kitteh likes this.
  5. Kitteh

Jesus, that is damned sad to hear! Luckily, my only interest is in playing through the story with a group or playing through the story on my own :p