Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Good Rock Music: Does it still exist?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Kung Poo, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Kung Poo

Kung Poo IncGamers Member

OT: Good Rock Music: Does it still exist?

Yeah, this is kinda sudden and stupid, but I need to vent, and also get some advice of sorts.

I just got home from the used music store, and popped in a new cd in the car. The CD is Kittie, the album is Oracle.

It's awful. Absolutely awful. That is, of course, unless you happen to like lyrics that cannot be understood due to a chick screaming at the top of her lungs into the microphone... for EVERY song. For a few songs, the other lead singstress sang, and it was great. It brought to mind my favorite song by them, Brackish. But then, the other stupid girl cut in and started screaming again. :rant:

A waste of freakin money!! And since it's a used store, I don't think they take 'em back. So here's the thing. Anyone out there listened to any of Kittie's albums? And if so, are they all this bad??

On a related note, I'm running low on good music these days, and I need some advice. I listen to rock, some alternative, and so on. The last great album I bought was Opeth's Blackwater Park, which, although there's oodles of screaming involved, was a masterpiece in terms of musical composition and instrumentals.

So what's good? None of this popular/mainstream nonsense; I mean what's good that hasn't been played to death on the radio? And please, if it has loads of indiscernable screaming in it, don't recommend it. :uhhuh:

Annoyed but hopeful,
    ~K_P

2. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

Dude, I am soooo hooked on Trapt right now, I just saw them headline the "Sno Core" tour w/ some other less known but still kick arse bands. I would say get your hands on the Trapt CD and be prepared to get ready for a new release from them soon.

Oh, and if you want another less known band that is sweet (live of course), I'd check out a band called "Ra"

3. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

hmmm.... yes. there is still good music out there. its just harder to find. some good stuff i've been listening to recently... Death Cab for Cutie's newest album, Tranatlanticism, is fantastic. i also really like the new one by The Postal Service... same lead singer as Death Cab. The Shins have two awesome albums out - The Shins and Chutes Too Narrow. The Moon and Antarctica by Modest Mouse is sweet. Those are all more mellow albums. If you're looking for something a bit more rocking, I highly reccomend The Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. They've got two albums out that I can't remember the names of, but they're both very good. If you're into 80's metal, you should check out The Darkness' new album, Permission to Land... its hilarious and also really rockin'!! :yep: Meadowlands, by The Wrens, is another excellent album that you should check out if you're into Modest Mouse. Oh yeah, check out Built to Spill as well. there's so much great music out there, its amazing that the stuff on the radio is generally quite bad.

4. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

Good music is pretty hard to come by. I have a hard listening to everything. Since I've stopped listening to alternatif rock almost completly, I can't really suggest lots of bands. There is one that is sticking around for me : Audioslave. Actual dudes who can actually play good music. :thumbsup: Probably the only altern-rock band I ever listen. I don't think it's mainstream, otherwise I wouldn't be listening to it. :lol:

5. ShadowStone

ShadowStone IncGamers Member

I'll agree with the Trapt and Ra music, they both rock. I also would reccomend listening to bands such as V Shape Mind, Boysetsfire, In Flames (lots of screaming, but good screaming :yep: ), Lo-Pro, Apartment 26, The Pimps, and Twisted Method, just to ramble some off of the top of my head. Hope some of those help ya out :)

6. Brass_Monkey

Brass_Monkey IncGamers Member

I wouldn't consider Kittie rock anyway, personally I don't think there's much good rock out there nowadays. The genre just seems so boring to me. I like songs that I can relate to, are funny, or are relaxing. Queens of the Stone Age is probably the closest to a rock band that I listen to, their songs are crazy. But I do happen to like lyrics that can't be understood, screaming is great. If you've got something emotional and you want to get it out, that's about the most direct way. (Ever hear Daddy by KoRn? :teeth: )) I haven't really recommended anything, but I listen to completely different stuff..

7. 6stringspanky

6stringspanky IncGamers Member

yeah kttie's new cd suxorz....their other album is better. i believe this one is their sophomore album. if you check out the first stage line-up for ozzfest this year you'll find some awesome bands, slipknot(which i really dont liek but they are talented), hatebreed,and lamb of god are all awesome. then on the mainstage you have some even better bands like dimmu borgir ( they are hard as hell) and superjoint ritual.....and the ****ing rock......hope i helped

8. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Chris Cornell is my idol.

also, props to Maynard for not selling out.

everyone else bites.

except Kid Rock, but only because I grew up in a trailer park.

he represents.

yep.

9. SincereX13

Cornell probably has the most prolific voice out their now (some will scream Ozzy :rant: ), Lane or was it Lain from AinC would be their w/ Cornell in my opinion if he were still w/ us.

10. 6stringspanky

ozzy is awesome, but not quite the best......he's my favorite though

11. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

I don't listen to too much metal/rock these days, but here's some ideas.

If you're looking for the triumphant return of british glam-rock, check out The Darkness. They're crazy and don't take themselves seriously--but they're getting a little airtime these days, so that might mean their slide into popularity and thus disqualify them from your interest. :D

Symphony X is metal plus an orchestra, which is pretty ridiculous. They sound super-cheesy at first, but they're pretty incredible.

Hm. my old roomate used to listen to tons of metal, some super-hard and some not so super-hard. He got really into it and ended up in really tight with some record companies' PR and prerelease distribution mechanisms. I'll PM you the link to his web page (extremely impressive!) and you might be able to find some new bands to listen to on there, although he does listen to heavier stuff on average.

12. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

Yeah, Maynard is god. :worship:

13. SincereX13

I know I have had this conversation before... its like learning the APC's

14. 6stringspanky

maynard is awesome.....and the darkness.....is just great

15. brainfloss

brainfloss IncGamers Member

Kittie? All I have is the What I Always Wanted single, and that is good - there's even an alternate version of the song, minus the screamy bits - should make you happy as apart from the screaming, it is an awesome song. I've heard Brackish, Charlotte, Paper Doll as well and I like them, but That **** You Can't **** With may just be the worst song ever written, with the excpetion of anything written by Coldplay of course.

Here's some of the bands I like:
    Alice In Chains
    American Head charge (kind of obvious eh?)
    Clutch
    Deftones
    Down
    Earthtone 9
    Fear Factory
    Judas Priest
    Meshuggah
    Mudvayne
    My Dying Bride
    Nothingface
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Spineshank
    Will Haven

16. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

[hijack]the darkness is playing next friday in Milwaukee for $13 if anyone cares. I might be there...depends on if I go down to visit some friends.[/hijack]

17. sephiruss

sephiruss IncGamers Member

Check out The Mars Volta's DeLoused in Comatorium. That is an amazing rock record. Also Verbena is good, their new album La Musica Negra is amazing (I hope I got that title right). Those are a couple off the top of my head.

18. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

you better go to that show, you lucky SOB!

19. tking716

tking716 IncGamers Member

wildjinn, i dont know anything about symphony x, but the idea is intriguing. i imagine you have heard metallica's S&M. is it anything like that? cuz that was great.

now, to answer the question: given that there is a lack of innovative guitar riffs and basically anything sound related, i find that the bands i like most are the ones with the best lyrics. with that in mind, i submit these newish bands as awesome:

fall out boy
    yellowcard
    incubus (yes, mainstream i know, but i really like them, especially morning view)
    midtown
    sugarcult
    finch
    the starting line
    from autumn to ashes

and my absolute favorite newish band:

SOMETHING CORPORATE!!!
    seriously, these guys are incredible

20. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

I present to you The Dismemberment Plan. Sure, they broke up about two years ago, but their first three albums and "The Ice of Boston" EP were simply fantastic (avoid at all costs their last album, "Change"). Think Devo with some punk and funk mixed in. Wacky time-signatures, interesting instrumentation and performance, and lyrics ranging from the fall-down-laughing hilarious (intenionally so, unlike most bands today) to intensely soulful. There's a LITTLE bit of screaming in a few songs, but always at the right times and it's all still easily understood.

Agreeing with whomhead on Death Cab for Cutie and Modest Mouse. I'll also add Seafood, Brainiac, Servotron, Man... or Astroman?, Guided by Voices, Girls Against Boys, and Built to Spill. If you're feeling really adventurous, I'll also toss out ifihadahifi, for some truly insane noise-rock.

Good rock is indeed still out there. It's just buried under the dung-heap of nu-metal. :D