Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Drunk Revelation and Questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Crazy Runner Guy, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

OT: Drunk Revelation and Questions

let me preface this post with this: I dpo admit that I have 5 beers in me, so pardon the spelling errors and sketchy logic sometimes.

Why do we play D2? What benefit does it gain us in the real worled, whatever that is? We play, but what for? Entertainment? Relaxation? Why? Nonetheless, we still play, possibly without giving a reason for our addiction.

I realized this today, while my mind was free from the world due to a generous 32 year old donor. I play for goals, though immatierial, unproven and do not matter ona resume. Is thera justifiable logis in this? Expecvially for thsoe of us who play play HC. Wonderfukl, yo just died (albiet infrequently) and now your prozed character is dead, along with all of her/his itmes on him/her.

Do why do we play? Is there a definate purpose to our game? I would like to hear your thoughts.

:drink: A demi-drunk CRG :drink:

2. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

OMG! CRG is a lightweight!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, i dunno why we play this game, but i know that that was one of the better posts i've read in a while. :drink:

3. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo IncGamers Member

I don't know about everyone else, but I play to get away from RL. I think that is what is the basis of most games, computer or console. It lets you do things that you can't or would get in severe trouble in RL.

Just my two cents.

4. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

I don't think this is the first time you have posted half-drunk CRG, I don't know why you do that either :lol: . As for your question, you could say the same thing about many things in life. For example why get a job? So you can buy a nice house? Pretty things for your GF? (if you have one :teeth: ) Well that's nice and dandy but what if life is just the beginning and there is something after death? (as religious people would believe I guess) So you go through all the trouble to gather your belongings like in HC for example. You're real happy got yourself a GF (hehe notice the double meaning) a car some nice threads and then bam, a piano falls on you. You went through all the trouble of getting that why?? No one knows. Well all I can say is enjoy it while you can. I know I can't

Don't know if this makes any sense to you or anyone else. Maybe tomorrow when you're more sober :buddies: .

5. kramph

kramph IncGamers Member

I play Diablo as a form of relaxation. Although HC Hell generally causes stress and the occasional outburst. :rant:

6. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I play exclusively for relaxation, that's why I don't play 1.10 or HC as these tend to border on hard work. Most of the time I'm caring for my disabled wife and daughter, so I tend to need to unwind a lot. Watching Baal chuck up his guts certainly helps me unwind, especially when he leave me Gold and Green presents :lol: . But I think he could slow down with the Breast Plates though.

7. DMPI_Masher

DMPI_Masher IncGamers Member

SPOOK CELL

"for example. You're real happy got yourself a GF (hehe notice the double meaning) a car some nice threads and then bam, a piano falls on you. You went through all the trouble of getting that why?? No one knows. Well all I can say is enjoy it while you can. I know I can't"

I know I can't? What is that supposed to mean...Did you have an unfortunate experience with a piano lately? :)

8. DMPI_Masher

DMPI_Masher IncGamers Member

Almost forgot as I got distracted by Spook.

I've been asking myself the same thing CRG. I'm 35 and still play computer games. I have a professional life and a great home life with my wife and 2 kids. I take time to unwind by playing D2. What's the difference between me playing D2 for a few hours and my dad for example. He would come home and listen to loud classical music for a few hours and smoke his pipe. Do what ever floats your boat but I wouldn't get to wrapped up worring about it. It's a fun game and I will probably play it for several years to come. Yes, I think it's that good. I just cant neglect my family and our addiction to riding dirtbikes! Don't worry, we'll be safe. I'm not going to end up having a bad accident and ending up like Spook! :lol:

9. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

I believe we play Diablo for one reason only, for fun. We like playiing it, so we do. Does it need any other reason? I don't think so. It's a hobby for us, a way to spend our spare time. For some people, they take it more seriously and set goals for themselves that they "have" to accomplish, even if the game has become not so fun before that goal, or perhaps even because of that goal.

It's all about fun :)

10. Liter Soul

Liter Soul IncGamers Member

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself and for my close friends. We play Diablo II, among other games, because it gives us something we were promised when we were children and never recieved. We were told that the world would be good and logical. We were told the world would make sense and there would be reasons for everything.

Then we got to school, and we were told you do things because you're told to, or because you're supposed to, or because it's what everyone else does, which is no reason to do anything. When we were the smartest kids in class we were told to slow down and go the same speed as the kids who didn't get it. We weren't allowed to answer questions because we always got them right. We weren't allowed to ask questions because "that's not what school's for". The world didn't make sense.

Then we got to working. The people around us did less work than we did, but got paid the same amount as, or in many cases more than, us. We work hard and work for a purpose, and yet we get punished for it. We have money stolen from us and given to people who don't work at all (welfare). We have money taken from us to pay for politicians. I saw myself working overtime to pay for a new game, while people who didn't work had plasma TV's and new cars. I still don't have a car of my own.

The point is, video games are logical. Someone had to create them, and creation is the basis of all that is good in the world. Companies like Blizzard spent their time creating the best product they could. They had to code everything in the game to do what it does, so there is a reason for everything that happens. When there's an error, it's patched. The world of video games has to be logical, or it can't work. If you went to shoot an arrow at something, and instead your game started playing a Boyz 2 Men song, no one would play the game. It HAS to be logical.

My friends and I don't play games to relax, we play them in order to live in a world we were promised, once upon a time. We play games as an escape, but not from a world we can't deal with or handle. And not because we're anti-social. We play because we're good people, because we're creators. We play because we understand the exact morals and metaphysics behind games. Games, by nature, are moral, and it's good to be reminded that moral people exist. We play because we're logical beings, and games allow us, even if only for a few hours a day, to live in the world that was promised to us, and to feel, for at least a few minutes, that maybe some day the rest of the world will follow.

~Liter Soul~

11. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Arrow of WinAmp
    Quantity: 350
    Randomly changes background music on firing

Why do I play computer games? Nothing better to do right now. And no other use for my free time, except posting on the various forums.

12. Liter Soul

Liter Soul IncGamers Member

How annoying would that be with max breakpoint IAS?

13. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

I play Diablo II because it gives me a reason to drink. So there, I said it! :drink: :drink:

Takis (El_Greco) :buddies:

14. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

We play, or used to play for some of us, because the devil (Diablo) tells us to. :lol:

15. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

oh thank goodness! i was so relieved when i read this ti-ben! now that i know its the devil making me play diablo, i can tell my psychiatrist that it isn't the alien's brain-ray putting thoughts into my head... i feel much better now! :jig: :jig: :jig:

16. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

hum why do i play?

i play to relax to empty my brain totaly from other thought then to play.

it helps

17. Neely022

Neely022 IncGamers Member

I play Diablo because I have 2 prominent and inseperable uses for my free time (and free time does not include time spent with a girl, because that ain't so free). These free time mainstays are music and video games. Although I can, to a limited extent satisfy both at the same time (for example, listening to Spin Doctors and playing Diablo). I also play guitar and piano, and when I'm not in my dorm room rocking some Diablo, or Vice City, or Manhunt, or Blitz 2003, I'm usually screwing around with the guitar or trying to figure out Rufus Wainwright songs on piano. 2 distinct loves... ( and of all the games I play, Diablo is closest to my heart)

18. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

19. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

it does? :scratch:

20. Razaki

Razaki IncGamers Member

He just wants an excuse, like all of us.
    :drink: