Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Diablo table RPG

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ricrestoni, Feb 27, 2004.

1. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

OT: Diablo table RPG

Have you ever played any Diablo table RPG? I was wondering if there is any good adaptation to be played with sheets and dice.

I read a couple of D20 Diablo books, but thought it was incomplete. Besides, it doesn't cover LoD. Didn't like it, and started to think of my own new adaptation. But before I put some work into it, I want to know more about it.

2. Razaki

Razaki IncGamers Member

I don't remember ever seeing any D2 D&D things, but thats not to say there isnt any. I actually liked the books that were written about it. That is if you are talking about the 3 fantasy books about it.

3. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

I believe there were a couple of sourcebooks for Diablo in D&D but having never had any experience of D&D I couldn't tell you any more than they existed once.

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

there are diablo books that follow the diabo stroyline? where can i get these?

5. ricrestoni

The D20 (D&Dish style) Diablo source book I read was Diablo: to Hell and Back. There were many nice features, like the random item generator, but the book simplified way too much the characters, and all the mechanics didn't please me at all.

I thought that a game this big would deserve a more serious approach in such adaptation, but I guess I was wrong.

Probably I will make myself a better one, and if I do, I will spread the word around here. If I do, I will need every piece of information I manage to put my hands on. The world of Sanctuary must be a consistent one.

Now back to the hijack: are there these Diablo novels? How cool are they? Tell us about them!

6. intrigue762

intrigue762 IncGamers Member

If you take a look in any bookstore in the science fiction section they should have the diablo based novels. I personally have never read them, but I'll get to them eventually.

7. Razaki

Razaki IncGamers Member

Theres 3 Diablo Books. Umm...if I remember right I found them in Waldenbooks. That was the only place I could find em. Amazon has em, I'm sure. They are some awesome books. They don't so much follow the storyline as much as they take place in Sanctuary. Like in the 3rd book, it takes place in the Jungles of Kurast, but it has nothing to do with Mephisto or the High Council or anything like that. It doesn't really even give you a timeframe other than its after the Sin War. They don't follow any specific order, so you can get #3 before #1 and it won't affect anything, as they are seperate stories. Phew...thats a mouthful.

8. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

I've got the first one of the Diablo books. I enjoyed it. Tells the tale of a guy who gets Bartuc's armor and he gets possessed, it's cool. Although never heard of D20 or D&D Diablo books.

9. Razaki

Razaki IncGamers Member

Yeah, the 2nd one is about the Way of Dreams and an Ancient demon, and the 3rd is about a lost holy city. Or is it holy???

10. Stargaze

Stargaze IncGamers Member

Computer Action Adventure Games and Role Playing Games are very different in what you experience. You can never recreate the drive of a Computer Game to the P&P world. And you can never take the interaction of a P&P RPG to the computer.

So you should be prepared to play something very different in the same world, with the same set of Characters. Diablo lives purely of slaying monsters, finding items and optimizing your character. And while some people can be thrilled with the first one - even for a longer time - the items issue will be really boring after some minutes if you do it in the depth Diablo does it.

So, if you really want to roleplay in the Diablo World, I'd suggest using GURPS as the base system. Why?
    First: GURPS is a generic system, not made for a special world. So, it's easily adaptedto anything you wish.
    Second: GURPS already features the four basic attributes of Diablo: IQ, Dex, Str and Co.
    Third: The magic system is already based on a tree-like structure, just like D2. You should be able to add the feats a D2-character can do pretty easy, if it's not already in the system.

GURPS has some flaws, it's too detailed in some parts, too shallow in others. But I think it's the right tool to play a D2 RPG.
    But then, basically it's the players and the GM that define the fun of a RPG, not the system.

11. Gruntmaster

Gruntmaster IncGamers Member

Gurps. Now there's a system I haven't played in a long time. Generic Universal Role Playing System. I've always liked that you could have more points if your character has bad habits or flaws.

My 2 cents on "D&D" vs. the PC. Be prepared to have the game go a lot slower. An Act ending fight that takes 2 minutes on the PC may take the better portion of a day to do in D&D.

But as Stargaze said, it's the interaction with your friends that makes D&D what it is.

*confession of a D&D player who had the original 3 spiral bound books based on the Emerald Tablet miniature wargame in 1978, I'm getting old*

12. Stargaze

By noe, most respectable RPG Systems have a point-pased character creation and development system. And usually, those have adopted some sort of Merit/Flaw system, too. That way, everyone can play the character they want, and still have comparable power. At least that's the thought behind it.

13. ricrestoni

I had my share of Gurps and it is just what you said, too deep in some parts and too shallow in some others. It sure is a nice starting point, but I may try something new, using/adapting all things that I liked in the many different systems I played.

But the main concern here is to find a book / a text / a site that describes the environment P&P-RPG-wise. That is, description of places and people in Diablo world. But of course major changes will come to transform a hack'n'slash game into a good role-playing experience. I mean, even barbarians sleep, druids catch a cold, and the amazons go to the bathroom.

I may try nonetheless.

14. Stargaze

That is about the one point I cannot help here - but what do you need that for? People playing a RPG in the D2 world will know the basics about the world. And the rest you can improvise. There are a number of cities/countries mentioned in the game flavor texts (in game and in the book). I think that should be good enough for starters.