Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Crusader Kings II

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by PSYCHO, Dec 12, 2014.

1. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

Hands down one of the best games I've played in recent memory and it is certainly not for the faint-hearted. Before you read any further of what I have to say, I will simply share one story from within the game:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...Unholy-nightmare-Why-this-is-the-best-DLC-yet

I love depth to my games, and this one has it in spades - anybody else play it? For those who are into any of the following games, it should prove a charming addition to your stocks should you want to try it out:

Civilisation series
    Total War series
    Age of Empires series

(And so on).

A brief overview...

You may start the game in any period from 867 through several key historical points up to around the mid 1200 mark. The idea of the game, instead of being a straight 'Build and battle' simulator like the Total War series actually focuses on you building a DYNASTY of heirs, ergo the idea of survival gets thrown onto its head as survival clearly means "If I die, will someone take my place?" - if not, that's end game.

Now that's not to say that battles do not take place. They certainly do and much like Medieval/Dark Ages Europe (and beyond), battle and war is an integral part of your campaign to build a dynasty. In my opinion the battle aspect is overly simplified and probably the only drawback to the game as it is not 'on field' like the Total War series, but rather played out the same way each time (tally of troops, three phases to battle, overall defence/attack modifiers taken into account) - but this should not dissuade you from trying out the game.

As mentioned, the game has DEPTH. A LOT OF DEPTH. The map itself is not just continental modern day Europe, it also stretches North to include Iceland, and then moves East all the way to the Indian borders near modern day Bangladesh/Tibet; finally pushing South to include all of the Middle East and most of Northern Africa. But the map size isn't the clincher here, it's the fact that each land mass comes down to a relatively small County size. Ergo a country like Ireland is not Ireland, it is the County of Desmond, Thormond, Connacht and so on. England isn't England, it's the County of Wessex, Essex, Lincoln and so on. Beyond the County stage there are also Dutchies, which may need a combination of Counties to even create the Title thereof, and then Kingdoms and even Empires.

You can play from a lowly Count, independent or even with liege to a King, and progress from there.

But how does one do this? With more depth!

Marriage is purely a diplomatic exercise to strengthen ties, form Alliances and improve a ruler's stats. It also serves to produce heirs that will keep your dynasty alive. Matrilineal Marriages can be difficult to procure but may be a last resort (you are not exclusively able to build dynasties on just man-power alone). Marriage may also allow you to form new 'Claims' to Counties, Dutchies and even Kingdoms... Which is very important as you can't just build up an army and go to war, you need a JUST CAUSE FOR WAR (Cassus Belli).

But yes, depth depth and depth! I won't go on and instead let you all try it out for yourselves...

2. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

I thought about picking up CK2 when it was on sale for black friday, but realized there just isn't enough time in a day to play multiple Paradox grand strategy games and the political intrigue of CK2 interests me less than the social and economic focus of Victoria 2 or the world-warping power of Europa Universalis 4 (all hail Buddhist France! etc.) so I held on to my money - until some later sale, I'm sure. That said, from all corners it does seem to be pretty ridiculously insane levels of political intrigue available, leading to crushing defeats and/or hilarious coups so I can definitely understand why it's by far the most widely popular of Paradox's grand strategy titles.

Personally I like to know what I'm getting into before I leap, so for those like me here's a few playlists of CK2 (I grant you I just took some from guys I'm familiar with from EU4, so they may suck at CK2) that cover a bit of a difference in the scope of the game. Arumba who plays the newest DLC with the intent of using some of the new mechanics. MP game with Northernlion, Mathas and Arumba play a multiplayer game, which can be especially crazy given the game's mechanics, they also show off a different start time and point out the CK2 to EU4 converter. This game is from quite a while ago and multiple DLC expansions have happened since. Shenryyr playing a game where his twitch viewers make most of his decisions in a funny/troll kind of campaign. Again, not with the most recent DLC. I'm focusing on not the basic gameplay here since that either comes from watching or can be found through other means (game trailers on steam, searching for "crusader kings 2 tutorial," that kind of thing). I would also point out here that CK2, like most of the Paradox games, has a ton of mods and modding options available through steam, so in case the intrigue and insanity of real history isn't crazy enough for you, you could, for instance, play a Game of Thrones mod, cause family trees should form pretzels.

I will point out that Paradox runs lots of deals on their games and that I would not buy any of them off-sale, especially this time of year. Also: Paradox tends to release multiple DLC expansions (as well as aesthetic DLCs with no actual gameplay value cause some people really care what clothes their units wear and the like, which is fine, though they're completely ignorable if you don't care) over the course of the games, and while the base game is patched with most new mechanics and generally quite good, specific mechanics do only work when you have the requisite DLCs.

Also, just so Psycho's point about depth is completely understood: games take a LONG time. Like a LOOOOONG time. Which is great in as far as you can really get into the game and become tied to your characters, but if you don't have a ton of time available it can mean it'll take forever to finish a playthrough. Still, I wouldn't necessarily call sitting down for a short session, getting involved in a war then 15 other distractions leading to you looking up after finishing said war and finding several hours disappeared the mark of a bad game.

PSYCHO likes this.
  3. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

As regards my point on buying on sale: if anyone is interested Steam has Crusader Kings 2 and most of the DLC on sale right now (listed as being so for the next ~40 hours as of writing this). Normal price for the base game is $39.99, but it's on sale for $9.99 right now. The newest expansions (Charlemagne and Way of Life) aren't on sale, but the previous 6 (Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, Sunset Invasion, The Old Gods, Sons of Abraham, and Rajas of India) are, totalling $27.42 for the base game plus each of them. There's also a bundle (called "Crusader Kings 2 Collection") that's $39.99 which includes the expansions - except for Charlemagne and Way of Life - as well as almost all of the cosmetic/music/utility DLCs.

Note that I have no idea if the sales are the same or the pricing sensible elsewhere in the world. Just a heads up in case it's helpful to anyone.

4. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

£30 not £122 in the UK.

Includes 43 items: Crusader Kings II, Crusader Kings II: African Portraits , Crusader Kings II: African Unit Pack, Crusader Kings II: Byzantine Unit Pack , Crusader Kings II: Celtic Portraits, Crusader Kings II: Celtic Unit Pack, Crusader Kings II: Customization Pack, Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shield II, Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shield III, Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shields, Crusader Kings II: Europa Universalis IV Converter, Crusader Kings II: Finno-Ugric Unit Pack, Crusader Kings II: Hymns of Abraham, Crusader Kings II: Hymns to the Old Gods, Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome , Crusader Kings II: Mediterranean Portraits, Crusader Kings II: Military Orders Unit Pack, Crusader Kings II: Mongol Faces, Crusader Kings II: Norse Portraits, Crusader Kings II: Norse Unit Pack, Crusader Kings II: Persian Portraits, Crusader Kings II: Persian Unit Pack, Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India, Crusader Kings II: Ruler Designer, Crusader Kings II: Russian Portraits, Crusader Kings II: Russian Unit Pack, Crusader Kings II: Saxon Unit Pack, Crusader Kings II: Songs of Albion, Crusader Kings II: Songs of Byzantium , Crusader Kings II: Songs of Faith, Crusader Kings II: Songs of India, Crusader Kings II: Songs of Prosperity, Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Caliph, Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Holy Land, Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Rus, Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham, Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion, Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam, Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods, Crusader Kings II: The Republic, Crusader Kings II: Turkish Portraits, Crusader Kings II: Turkish Unit Pack, Crusader Kings II: Warriors of Faith Unit Pack