Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: champions league final

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by farting bob, May 25, 2005.

1. farting bob

farting bob Banned

OT: champions league final

Yep, the biggest club tournament in the world of football (soccer), the final was between AC milan and Liverpool. Bloody hell, what a game!
    Milan dominate with some of the best football ive ever seen in the first half, and lead 3-0 (for those that dont watch football, 3-0 is generally considered game over, especially since milan was totally outplaying liverpool) and then liverpool score 3 times in 5 minutes to equalise, 2 of which i missed because i was getting a sandwhich :rolleyes: (sods law dictates that if you stop watching for 5 minutes, something important will happen) then it goes to extra time, and penalties.
    Milan miss 3 of there 5 penalties, Liverpool win.
    Big upset, an amazing comeback by liverpool, who now have won the trophy 5 times, although the last was back in 1984.
    And the funny thing is, unlike usual where the champions come back to defend it next season, liverpool arent allowed to, because they finished 5th in the english league, and only the top 4 teams are allowed to enter this tournament.
    Anyway, good game overall, liverpool first english club to win since 1998, which i saw live.
    :thumbsup:

2. zy009

zy009 IncGamers Member

Code:
    liverpool first english club to win since 1998
    actaully it's 1999, when manchester united won the title by beating Munic. that was also a amazing match. the funny thing is in that year manchester united had also beaten ac millian in the simi final where they were 1 down and had extra time to go, and they scored two goals in the extra time, that was the most amazing football i've ever seen.
    Congrats to liverpool :clap:

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Curse my lack of memory, i need more RAM. Anyway, that final was just unbelievble. they were 1-0 down from 6 minutes in, and scored 2 goals to win in the last 3 minutes of the game, which as you mentioned, they kind of did in the semi final match as well.

4. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

OMG Liverpool suXXor, u von the stoopid g8m on penaltiez u n00blar britishmen!

ehm.

on a more serious note. Generally I like English soccer and I don't like Italian soccer especially not AC which is "very Italian" soccer. Besides as a Barca fan I was sort of cheering for Luis Garcia to get the trophy, so pretty much any other year i would have been hoping for 'pool to win. (Btw: to all the people of liverpool: kudos for kicking Chelsea out of the CL, it gave me a warm and cozy feeling deep down inside) But this year, Milan has presented soccer, that looked very different for me compared to the last years. Lot of creativity in both midfield and offense, taking risks, incorporating several surprise element in their game, actually, it might have been the first Italian team i have ever enjoyed watching. Liverpool sported some fancy tactics, and showed very good moral several times during the whole cup, and of course tonight as well...i mean...coming back from 0-3 is quite an achievement. But in all honestly they whole performance was far from what i would call spectacular. I say they deserve the trophy for their amazing willpower (and amazingly disciplined soccer in the semi-finals), but i was feeling really bad for Milan who, unlike the majority of the teams in the series, was showing the fans the best this game can offer.

5. Sir Lanksalot

Sir Lanksalot IncGamers Member

I'm so glad Liverpool won, i almost went back to bed (game started 6.30am over here in NZ) at half time cause i couldn't bear Liverpool being outplayed the way they were, so glad i didn't though as Liverpool came back and showed determination that i haven't seen in any other team. Dudek was on fine form - I cant believe Shevchenko(sp?) missed that shot in the 118th min. Joint best game of the season IMHO along with the 5-4 Arsenal-Spurs clash last year.

I reckon Everton and Liverpool should have a play-off to see who gets the 4th English Champions League spot, i know evertonians are gonna hate me for this but I don't believe Everton will stand a chance in Europes top competion whereas Liverpool would. (Im a spurs fan btw so i am not biased in any way)

6. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

Hmmm dont really follow football(rest of world's/american's)
    i do think soccer is kinda intresting. Dont know much about it but loads of my cousins play it. That did sound like quite the game though FB.
    Is it simmalar(er..sp) to lacrosse?

7. Sir Lanksalot

Sir Lanksalot IncGamers Member

Just watched the replay and i revise my opinion, it is no doubt the greatest game this year so much better than the arsenal-spurs game... i don't think i quite grasped the amazingness of it in my half-slumbering state this morning.

8. supermatt

supermatt IncGamers Member

GO THE REDS

i also watched the game. pulling back 3 goals in the short time they did was an excitement overload for me. i was over the moon! i couldn't sit still for the rest of the game!

if you're not American then Soccer is Football.

:) matt

9. Llathias

Llathias Banned

guess where the game was played? :wink2: oh my good old city...

as a matter of fact, i missed the first 95 mins of the game, but even the rest was unbelievable. i hope i can find a replay when i get home this weekend.

Dudek was so funny during the penalties. especially the 4th one, where he did some swing figures :lol: i'm quite amazed how a team can miss 3 of 5 penalties, one used by Shevchenko! it reminded me of a Netherlands-Italy(?) game in one of the European Championships where NL had missed what, 4?

nothing against Liverpool, but i thnk Milan deserved it more this year. except for the Liverpool-Chelsea game, almost all the spectacular ones were AC's. even during the part i watched, Milan was playing the game while Cisse got the ball a few times. besides Milan has Andre Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Maldini etc, whereas my favorite guy from Liverpool is now in Real.

Edit: for those of you who don't know, the number of teams to participate the Champions' League is determined by the ranking of each country. while countries like England, Spain, Italy (which dominate European soccer) participate with 4, Turkey joins with 2 and even others (Hungary, Ukraine?) with 1.

10. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Well everton have been assured of there place, so they are defintely going through. the only way liverpool can get in would be if UEFA (governing body) said to another country 'sorry, youve got to lose a team to amke way for liverpool' but then the problem comes up with what country? Or they can just stick liverpool in and have 1 group have an extra team.
    And i agree, everton probably wont make it to the knockout stages. they have to go through qualifiers first as well.

11. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Yes, it was an amazing game!

Only teams from countries where the combined rankings of the clubs is high enough have it so well. For Swedish teams, only the champions get to enter, and that is if they survive two 'double meeting' qualifying matches! Sad thing is, it will take many good results from the clubs over a couple of years to change that. Good thing our national team is still doing well. :D Not surprisingly, it consists in more than 9/10 of players playing in foreign leagues.

12. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hmm ya i am surprised not to see IFK Gothenburg following up their good performances in Europe's premiere competition years back! Presently Ibrahimovic and Ljunberg are top Swedish players i could think of and i agree that the Swedish national side is a good one :D

13. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Go, go Smicer and Baros! First Czechs who won the Champions league. I loosed my interest in footbal lately, I didn't watch, but it i hear from my friends that it was a very nice and interesting game. Good final!

14. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

as i heared, UEFA will decide in the next week if england get s a 5th place in the champions league so taht liverpool can enter :)

i was disapointed of the Milan team, the way they thaught the game was over after 45 minutes... shows taht you can t take a thing for granted in soccer. still, the overtime was Milan again, whit liverpool only defending theyr goal and being completely out of breath ( it was funny to see 3 liverpool "professionals" get cramps in overtime ) so i think the penalty result was unfair... but he, it s only soccer

15. Gibby

Gibby Banned

I've never been a fan of soccer. In America, especially in the south(Texas), very few people are a fan of soccer.

16. supermatt

you should check it out - it's a great sport!

17. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

It was hilarious. I read in the paper that he was trying to emulate the goalkeeper of the previous winning liverpool team in 1984. Apparently the milan team got overwhelmed by the roars of the liverpool fans during the penalties.

Minor fact, all 6 goals were scored at the same side :)

I know UEFA has been petitioned by many associations including the FA just to let liverpool defend their title. The alternative would be that the FA gives Liverpool the spot instead of Everton (its been done before) but the FA has already said they wouldn't do that.

Everton deserves to be in the champions league and even if they get kicked out immediately, hopefully the extra money can do wonders for their team.
    Let's see how it works.

18. farting bob

farting bob Banned

In fact, all goals and all the penalties were scored in the same goal. funnily, liverpool fans were on 3 sides of the stadium, yet all the goals were in front of the milan fans.
    And dudek was dancing and jumping around like the 1984 liverpool goalie did. they'll be in clown hats by next year.

19. supermatt

Bruce Grobelaar is the goalkeeper of whom you speak.

he actually made a press statement about it which was in our local paper this morning. i think he lives in South Africa now

20. Tom_S

Tom_S IncGamers Member

Speaking of championships, Benfica finally won the portuguese league.

After 11 years of watching Porto and Sporting winning Trappatoni took Benfica to first place against all odds.

It was beautifull to watch Lisbon flooded with them red shirts :D

Sunday it's the cup final wich if all goes well we're also winning ;)

SLB SLB SLB SLB SLB
    Glorioso
    SLB
    Glorioso
    SLB