Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ot:CALLING ALL AUSSIES! I NEED YOU!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by diablo loves donutz, Sep 22, 2006.

1. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Ot:CALLING ALL AUSSIES! I NEED YOU!

Hi guys. This thread is directed to all you aussies. So...my brother has the notion of going to Austrailia, probably the summer after next, and taking in everything and experiencing the aussie life. At first, I thought this was some stupid idea he had that would go away in a month, but this time he seems serious and after noticing my mom looking up all this stuff on Austrailia, I thought I'd help out too. And hey...who better to ask them some real live Austrailians! So my question is pretty much this, what's the best way to really experience Austrailia? I asked my mom what he planned to do and she said he just wanted, "bum out", live in hostels, experience all he can...really awkwardly put if you ask me. So I come to you guys. What would you recommend? And remember, this is not for some loser tourist visiting for a week. This is my bro and he know's how to have fun and take life as it comes and not to mention this could be for as long as two months. So any ideas guys?

Who knows...maybe he could hang out at some of your guys' houses lol.

Any help is greatly appreciated and the more the better. Thanks again guys.

-Donutz

2. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

1. Get in a car, and run over a wallaby.

2. Find an eucalyptus tree, and throw rocks at the koala bear.

3. Run out into the outback, and whack some bushes.

4. Get into a boxing ring with a kangaroo.

5. Go scuba diving at the Great Barrier Reef, and break off some corals.

6. Walk up to some butch Aussie life-guards, and make a smoochy face.

7. Go to the dog pound and teach a dingo to play 'fetch'.

8. Walk into a pub, say G'day mate, and mooch a Fosters.

9. Go watch an AFL match, and throw some Fosters on to the pitch.

Well, you did say 'really experience Australia'...

Disclaimer: No offence is intended at any antipodean Australians reading this (it's a different matter all together if you're a Kiwi). In truth, I love your country, and I often do my best to tan my pommie arse on your pristine beaches.

3. DrLove

DrLove Banned

Australia is a great country, but it has one glaring problem... it's filled with Aussies. New Zealand on the other hand...
    Really though, the thing to do would be for him to fly over and just go where ever life takes him. Trip from one town to the next, hit the beaches, see the outback and just do nothing.

Go on... :D

4. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

Well it all depends on what he likes! If he appreciates native history and seeing Australia how it was, start him at Darwin in the Northern Territory. Here he'll be able to deal with the searing heat and humidity of the tropics (which will prepare him for the rest of the bloody country). He can go walkabout around Kakadu, spot Crocs and even make his way down to the true outback if he was interested enough. He'll catch glimpses of Uluru and other natural landmarks and can visit all the caves sporting ancient Aboriginal art.

From there it's up to him. If you're after a quiet setting to begin with, tell him to make his way across to Western Australia from the N.T. Get him to drop by in Monkey Mia to hand feed the dolphins on the beach, while he's at it, then he can visit Perth. Now, there isn't particularly much to do in Perth. It is Australia's youngest city and it's least populated, from memory. I believe the standard of living is quite cheap there and it's quite peaceful on the whole.

From there, he can travel East to South Australia and visit Adelaide. Adelaide is indeed the City of Churches so if he likes architecture he'll be quite alright there. Other than that, it's Adelaide and there's pretty much **** all else to do. There are other things to do there, I'm sure, but I've never been there so I can't suggest anything else.

From there you start getting down to business.

Travel East again and you'll hit Melbourne. Now, Melbourne has a very good night life (much better than Sydney's, and this is coming from a Sydneysider - I don't get caught up in the penis contest that is 'Sydney vs Melbourne'). Restaurants are aplenty and the local music scene (particularly for Metal), is very alive and well. Be sure to take a trip on the tram (up to certain points within Melbourne itself, all tram travel is free if nothing has changed), and catch an A.F.L game if possible. A.F.L is an Australian sport that is centered in Victoria and he'll have the time of his life not understanding what the hell's going on at a packed local derby surrounded by 40,000 fans.

From here, you have two options. You can either ignore Tasmania altogether, or go there before you head off anywhere else. I'd suggest going there.

Tasmania is that little island everybody doesn't care about (just kidding). From Melbourne you can catch a boat down to Tassie - the trip takes 24 hours, from recollection. Tasmania, like the Northern Territory, has many wonderful natural landmarks and the scenery is quite breathtaking. It is easily one of the most laid back states in Australia and perhaps the coolest, temperature wise. Check out Cradle Mountain, Launceston and Hobart (the capital).

After you're done there, head back to the mainland and travel North. Sydney is a wonderful city and most tourists recognise Australia from what is in Sydney. The Harbour Bridge, Centrepoint Tower and the Opera House are all in Sydney. There is never a shortage of things to do or places to be here. Sydney has a half-decent night life, with many pubs, restaurants and family-oriented sights (Sydney Harbour Zoo and Aquarium, for instance). The beaches, of course, are divine. Visit Manly, Bronte and Cronulla beaches for the best experience in sun and surf until you hit Queensland.

His final tourist stop will be a popular one. Queensland is a mixture of the tropics, heat, sun and beach that he'll want to come back for again and again. The Gold Coast is a 24/7 party right alongside the beach and Brisbane isn't so bad either. The coast is all about beaches but head further North and you'll get the rainforests as well. He could take day trips out to Hamilton Island (but I'd prefer staying longer), and he can also travel inland for a different Queensland experience. West from Brisbane, Bundaberg and beyond is extremely different to the beach image that Queensland produces.

I hope I've been of some help. All of this is second-hand knowledge and experience, but I'd do the around Australia trip like that. Unfortunately he'd probably be starting and ending in Sydney or Melbourne simply because of the airline flights. But interstate travel isn't dear via plane. Trains offer a wonderful experience (particularly the Ghan - to the Northern Territory - and the Western Pacific - across Australia), at a price.

5. Spearthrower

Spearthrower IncGamers Member

I am not aussie, but I have travelled all across Australia.... and I do have family there.

Let's say one thing right away.... when your bro arrives he will find it really easy to experience whatever he wants. The entire tourist setup in Australia is really easy for beginner travellers. From arriving at any bus station/airport/train station there will be hostel touts waiting for him all undercutting the last offer trying to get him to stay there. Tours will be offered at all hotels. Basically, all he needs to do is set up his route round the country then follow it along. I personally used the Greyhound buses and just plotted a course all round the country then moved on whenever I felt like it (it is a long duration ticket that lets you move to the next step whenever you want).

Really it couldnt be easier and I would suggest that he just make general plans and then let life happen. He will meet people that he likes and they will invite him to go to x place - it's better if he's not tied into following a strict itinery so he can kick back and go with situations that present themselves.

One thing he must do is take scuba diving courses - one of the great natural wonders of the world is right there (G. Barrier Reef) and cheap to explore..... might as well take the opportunity to see it before global warming destroys it!

Your family can rest assured that not only will he be as safe (probably safer) than home but he will have some great experiences and meet a lot of people.

6. corax

corax IncGamers Member

Send him to Townsville.

I'll take care of him.....

7. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

I have never ever seen any self-respecting Ozzie drink Fosters..... it's just something that we export to the rest of the world as they don't know any better:wink3:

8. Spearthrower

Spearthrower IncGamers Member

I heard that Fosters was what Ozzies piss? :D

9. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

With a name that includes "grog" I'd trust his word :wink3:

Yes, I've seen some people drink Fosters, but it has nowhere near the popularity it did back in the 80s. It's a pretty **** beer when you think about it, but like everywhere, the local brews are always better than the exported rubbish.

10. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

I'm in QLD, and there are quite a few local drops to choose from, although anything that is XXXX is generally not flash ;)

I am a big fan of alcohol generally - but my favourite beer would have to be Cascade Pale Ale, a finer drop you will not taste.

11. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

Lately I've been after the Beez Kneez more than anything. It's bloody pricey ($68 a case), but it's excellent stuff. The new Toohey's Platinum is good, but I'd bet that if Carlton got off their behinds and did something similiar it would taste better.

12. corax

corax IncGamers Member

....get out of my country....now...

13. soul killer

soul killer Banned

Go to Brisbane, visit all the Parks and then take a trip by train to Alice Springs and Uluru then ride to Sydney and see the Opera House and Harbour Bridge.
    Its along way by train going to these places but youll see the outback and everything.
    BTW, Stella Artois is the best beer, I dont like Aussie beer that much.

14. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

Teh Rax :)

How is the ville treating you?

15. PetSlayer

PetSlayer IncGamers Member

Try some belgian trapist beer, then we can talk more...And yeah, I think any trapist would do, and it's called trapist not because that was the name of the munk that kept the cellars, but because it makes you sing like a monk in no time...:wink2:

16. Tasdaz

Tasdaz IncGamers Member

:wave: from that little island. Yes, Tasmania is small by "mainland" Australia standards but offers a huge variety of scenery, history and climate.

Western Tasmania is wild and rugged and largely untouched. It is mainly World Heritage parks. Some highlights of this area are Lake St Clair, Cradle Mountain (the overland track if you fancy a 5 day walk), Queenstown (and it's barren moonscape hills), Strahan (quant little fishing town), Gordon River Cruise.

Northern Tassie is mainly farming and forestry. There are some larger cities along the Coast there, Burnie (not a favorite of mine), Devonport (where the ferry to Melbourne departs and arrives - nice city), and Launceston (second largest city in Tasmania). Highlights are Stanley (and the "Nut"), the Gorge in Launceston, Mount Barrow & Mt William National Park.

Central Tasmania is mainly a huge Plateau averaging around 1km above sea level. Big lakes, mountains and wilderness. Not many live in this area but is popular for fishing & bushwalking.

Eastern Tasmania is drier and warmer than the west and much better weather. Lots of magnificent beaches and fishing villages. Highlights are St Helens and the huge sand dunes, Coles Bay, Bay of Fires, Maria Island.

Southern Tasmania holds the capital, Hobart (approx 200,000 people). Magnificent scenery again, Hobart lies at the base of Mount Wellington, a short drive to view over southern Tasmania. Magnificent coastal scenery and beaches everywhere. Highlights are Mt Wellington, Port Arthur (the whole area), Hastings Caves, Mt Field National Park, the drive to Lake Pedder.

Winter is cold and snow in the highlands and on the mountains. Spring is usually wetter and with more wind buy warmer (naturally), summer is wonderful averaging around 23 celcius, and Autumn is also wonderful. Western Tasmania is very wet and usually cops the brunt of the weather off the ocean. Eastern side is drier and warmer.

Well that is enough rambling about this lovely state and still it does not do it justice. Although this is a small island, I would allow at least two weeks, if not a month.

:cool:

Edit: Best beer is Cascade Premium :jig:

17. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

It very sad, no one ever know the city I live in, even some Aussie.

If he does not visit my city, Dr Evil will not be happy, be warned...

Edit: TAS is beautiful place indeed. We have at least one EU there too.

18. diablo loves donutz

diablo loves donutz IncGamers Member

Wow...just dropped in to check stuff out and boy have you guys been busy. Thank you, everyone, for all your help. I'm sure my mom and my bro will find all of this extremely helpful and I hope that if my bro plans to do this, he will have a wonderful time, and judging by the sheer amount of things you guys described, it looks as though he'll love it. Also, I think if he does this, it'll be for a whole summer so he can take it all in.

A special thanks to Psycho, Frostburn, Spear, and Tasdaz-your posts shall provide lots of help. I'll try to keep you guys informed on what happens.

Thanks again.

19. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

You know that I'm joking right? :shocked:

Right??! :worry:

Please do not throw rocks at the koala bears...

However, you may throw rocks at PM John Howard. He has a shiny nut for a head.

20. soul killer

soul killer Banned

However, you may throw rocks at PM John Howard. He has a shiny nut for a head.

Chuck anthing you can find, make sure its big, heavy and knocks him out until the next elections.