Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Browser (Firefox) Help Needed

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by pwangsta, May 21, 2008.

1. pwangsta

pwangsta IncGamers Member

OT: Browser (Firefox) Help Needed

Hey peeps. I've been using Firefox for well over a year now, and am very satisfied with it in general. Unfortunately, since my return to these forums a few weeks back, Firefox refuses to display tables correctly. I have to zoom out (Ctrl --) twice in order to get rid of the scroll bar (the one on the bottom that indicates the table is too wide), but this makes the text outside the [ code ] boxes almost illegible.

I tried switching to IE, but the same problem occurred. When I view the same table in Safari, though, there are no scroll bars at all. Same when I use Firefox on a different computer.

I've also viewed a few tables where the poster indicated that he/she had fixed it to eliminate the scroll bars, so I'm almost 100% sure that the "normal" display should be without the side scrolling. Anyone know how I might fix this? Right now I'm just going to use Safari for forum browsing and Firefox for everything else.

2. Mungo

Mungo IncGamers Member

Re: OT: Browser (Firefox) Help Needed

I am afraid that due to recent forum upgrades and enhancements most people viewing in lower res. are having to scroll left to right to see everything. The Opera browser does have a fit to width button which will eliminate this problem:grin:

3. pwangsta

I don't believe it's the resolution that's the problem. I've tried every resolution from 1280x800 to 1900x1200. It makes no difference.

4. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I'm running on 1024 x 7xx on Firefox for this post. And I'm not scrolling. Is it only on tables you have a problem?

The only time I have to scroll is .. threads like the EMB or when I'm on the lappy with a low resolution.

I do notice code boxes don't display properly on the lappy again with a smaller resolution.

5. pwangsta

Yeah, it's just the tables. I can see all of a post; I just get scroll bars on the text inside the code brackets. When I turned it to 1900x1200, I would have regular text running all the way across my screen, but the code box would end somewhere in the middle, with the scroll bars. I'll put up a screenie in a sec.

Edit: This is how it looks on 1900x1200.

Edit2: @sirpoops: I thought it was worth a shot, but it seems that changing the default font only changes the text outside the code boxes, where I didn't have a problem in the first place. No matter what font I set, the text inside the table looks the same (and so do the scroll bars).

Edityetagain: downloading Firefox 3 RC1 to try out. If nothing else, at least that should have all settings at default. I'm currently running Firefox v. 2.0.0.14, which I believe it the most recent one.

Editblahblah: Now I'm confused. My factory-setting Firefox still doesn't display it right. Must not be the browser, then. *runs off to mess up his computer*
    Then again, why does Safari display it the right way? I think I'll just keep the status quo for now.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  6. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

wierd.

Did you, by chance, change your default font? It looks different than mine in Firefox, although we could be using different versions... Still, I can tell that yours is a "fixed-width" font, and mine isn't... maybe try changing the default (somehow :p) to a different one?

:scratch:

Edit: That's the only thing I can think to try at the moment.

7. Vae Victus

Vae Victus IncGamers Member

Hmm, probably doesn't help much, but I'm also using Firefox without any issue.

P.S. Holding Control and scrolling up and down on the mousewheel is a hotkey to change font sizes, so maybe you did that by accident? (Probably not.)

EDIT: Duh, I just tested it myself, and that doesn't cause the problem you describe. I'm quite tired.

8. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

Do you have automatic updates on?

The latest versions seem to have a lot of problems. I have that happen with the code frames too, as well as issues with the scrolling function disabling whenever putting streaming media into fullscreen, and a broken 'restore session', and on and on.

Sadly, firefox isn't what it used to be. You could try downgrading to an older version, though I imagine a lot of the issues that firefox has had in more recent times (most noticeably the memory leak issue) will be fixed in 3.0. Whenever it gets released.

9. vulturesrow

vulturesrow IncGamers Member

Im actually using the 3.0 Beta, which so far is extraordinarily stable for a beta release. Ive had zero problems with it so far. It might be worth a try to upgrade to the 3.0 beta.

10. AndiDi

AndiDi IncGamers Member

Since yesterday I use the first release candidate of Firefox 3. So far it has not yet crashed on me.
    Some pages look a lot better with that release.

-Andi

11. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

i use firefox 2.00.14 on windows 1024x768 and i don't get anything wrong.
    i also use firefox 3 on my Ubuntu 8.04 laptop and i don't have problems either.

12. Espr

Espr IncGamers Member

I wasn't aware any v3 releases were available for general consumption. Thanks! I'll go look it up.

13. vulturesrow

vulturesrow IncGamers Member

espr,

You already figured this out, but for those that dont know, Firefox 3.0 Beta and Release Candidate 1 are available for download. I havent tried RC1 yet but the beta is working very well for me, no problems at all so far, on both Windows XP SP2 and Ubuntu 8.04.

14. pwangsta

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for all their suggestions. None of them worked, but that was because it wasn't really Firefox's fault in the first place. The good news, though, is that I finally managed to fix the problem.

Today, I was playing around with StumbleUpon (a Firefox extension that leads you to various random websites you might be interested in based on a survey of your preferences) and up popped a Vista tips site. Tip number 29 dealt with Vista's ability to magnify text on higher-resolution computers by changing the DPI settings.

Since the native resolution is 1900x1200 on my laptop, I had bumped the DPI setting up to 120 within a few weeks of buying it, and then forgot all about it until today. Sure enough, as soon as I changed the DPI back to the native 96 and rebooted, the tables look perfectly normal again.

The reason Safari worked while IE and Firefox (and I even tried Opera, too, out of desperation) didn't, apparently, is because it ignores my DPI settings, since it still looks the same as before.

Again, thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.