Bug [OT] Attention! We're closing Norway - D2 time freeing up

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
So. Whe have an RL bug going around. You've probably all heard it by now. Norway has around 700 confirmed contaminations, and can no longer trace this contamination to travel activities.
As of today, the following stuff, and some other stuff, goes into effect:

- The closing of all schools, kindergardens, universities, libraries and similar institutions
- Dentists only take emergency patients
- All pubs/bars close unless they can maintain a distance of 1m between customers. Which is so unlikely that they just close. All of them.
- No hairdressers, barbers, massage institutes, gyms, swimming pools, tattoo shops are allowed to continue until further notice
- At least one county (with no confirmed contamination) has closed its borders to the rest of the country. No one in or out except extreme emergencies.
- Multi nation military drill "Cold Response" cancelled; 15,000 personell from half a dozen countries will be packing it up. Myself included; just arrived home.
- No docking for cruise ships. Not even our own.
- Public gatherings are cancelled. All of them. And made freaking ILLEGAL until further notice.
- Paracetamol (painkiller pills) are now being rationed.
- ANYONE arriving from abroad, except neighboring countries (Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland count. Russia does not.), are subject to 14 day immediate quarantine.
- All companies which can send workers home, either to work from home, or because they are not essential to the operation of society, are encouraged to do so.
- Anyone employed in healthcare are forbidden to leave the country

This isn't even an exhaustive list. Wife works in healthcare. Kid has to stay home, which means TV for the kid and gaming for me as long as wife is elsewhere.

Anyone else in the same situation? Heard Italy is on lockdown as well, and even worse than here....

TwentyMuleTeam

Diabloii.Net Member
We just had our first cases a couple of days ago in Michigan, and declared a state of emergency on Tuesday. Not really sure what to expect for now but companies are starting to give payed time off and asking employees to stay home. I was supposed to go to Greece in April for my honeymoon but I'll just run cows instead.

Ghonn

Diabloii.Net Member
We will be following you very soon as today the situation finally exploded here in Finland. All mass gatherings of over 500 people are now being canceled until june and more and more regulations are taking place. Most likely schools will be shut down as well. I'll be working from home.

Shops are being emptied by hoarders... Toilet paper seems to be the new currency soon enough.

Gotta say this is truly fascinating. I'm not worried about myself or my closest ones, but this a first of a kind situation for me. I've never before witnessed mass hysteria over toilet paper or hoarding in general in my life. Now I'm in the middle of it. Is this what an apocalypse would feel like?

Edit: Had a Hans Zimmer concert coming up soon. Likely it will be canceled. Son of a...

Last edited:

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, well, about the TP... Wife uses only one kind, and on occation it's 10kr for 6 rolls instead of the usual 34ish kr for 6 rolls... so on those occations, I've already stockpiled just to save money. I think I have about 200 rolls laying around in the garage and spare cot.

Also, I have about 540 liters of freezing storage, two medium size fridges and a cot to hold the freezers, one fridge and dry food. Which I'm keeping stocked depending on what's on sale, so should be good for at least 3 months, only running out of milk, eggs, most veggies and ofc alcohol/tobacco.

I wonder how far this will go in the end. In some areas, the virus have proved to be like 7% terminal, and it spreads like wildfire.

Babyhell

Diabloii.Net Member
In France, things are starting to be taken into account. Closing of schools for all ages starts on Monday, 1k+ gathering are forbidden, etc... and we have a step further that shall come in the coming days/week (no s).

We have our mayors election day (first turn) on sunday, and the second turn the sunday afterwards. They are not cancelled, we will see what is set in place (or not), hopefully a least for the people who handle those and who will see hundreds of people on the same day. If people decide to vote...

Anyway, because there are priorities: as it stands, i will NOT be able to make 5 sets myself ;)

Reactions: mir

srrw

Diabloii.Net Member
Most of the things you listed apply to Bulgaria as well... Despite the fact we only have 7 confirmed cases countrywide.
Everyone is panicking and I'm just here thinking are these people insane? It's just a freaking simple virus, that's only dangerous to people with other conditions or weak immune system. Like any other freaking virus. There's type B virus epidemic here atm which in theory is just as dangerous to those select few.
Aaanyway.
I'm very unlikely to get any time off work anytime soon. And I really can't work from home because it's not company policy. Fun times.
At least the traffic is great! I get to work in like 5 minutes (2km away). It usually takes me 20+.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Most of the things you listed apply to Bulgaria as well... Despite the fact we only have 7 confirmed cases countrywide.
Everyone is panicking and I'm just here thinking are these people insane? It's just a freaking simple virus, that's only dangerous to people with other conditions or weak immune system. Like any other freaking virus. There's type B virus epidemic here atm which in theory is just as dangerous to those select few.
Aaanyway.
I'm very unlikely to get any time off work anytime soon. And I really can't work from home because it's not company policy. Fun times.
At least the traffic is great! I get to work in like 5 minutes (2km away). It usually takes me 20+.
Well, the virus is extremely contagious, and can linger up to 14 days before symptoms arrive. Being around 2-7% terminal, it is not to be taken lightly. It may be that "just" everyone loses their grandparents and relatives with ahstma, but you never know. They say a vaccine could take anywhere between 6 to 18 months to develop.

7 confirmed cases = them and 75% of the people they interacted with. Give or take depending on level of interaction.

Gynli

Diabloii.Net Member
Korea here.

Generally same approach here... schools, libraries, community centers closed; no large gatherings etc

But despite what i see on the news, its pretty much the same old lifestyle for me with just extra hand washing and lots and lots of masks around me.

I did notice that restautants and bars have far less people in them though. And delivery now takes twice as long.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Another question is how many people actually have coronavirus without any worrying symptoms at all, without any need to be tested because they will perceive it as mild cold. This is why tracking real numbers of infected and real percentage of terminal cases is hard to do. Numbers presented in media come from people who had a reason to be tested, be it serious symptoms or knowing they had contact with someone. Person who feels healthy can infect others and he may never know he actually had coronavirus. People with weak immunity as well as old people are in danger, then again they are in danger from a regular flu as well...

I can't say I understand what can be achieved with few weeks of isolation, banning of social gatherings, schools and other things. Do they expect such short period of time is enough to make some difference or buy enough time for vaccine? What after those few weeks, virus suddenly won't be so contagious anymore? There are quite a few things I don't really understand in this whole situation. Few weeks ago I have read virus will spread across the world as a certainty no matter what we do. It is really hard to know which info is real and which is false in all this mess.

EatSleepDiablov2

Diabloii.Net Member
@Gripphon

Buying time. Trying to slow hospitalizations, which would overwhelm all ICUs.

The asymptomatic crowd is a problem, which is why things are getting shut down. Not enough widespread testing to target the correct folks for isolation.

I live in NY. Testing is reportedly nonexistent at this point. Even though 80% of folks can handle the virus with no major issues, it is a numbers game to stall the 5-10% that need hospitalization.

jonnyphive

Diabloii.Net Member
Michigan here. Our school district just shut down for 3 weeks. Fortunately, my younger boys’ daycare will accept school age children during this time. But, given the general trends, I’m sure it will close soon too - especially considering it shares a building with a nursing home. What a lethal combination that could turn into for the facility’s elderly residents...

I work as an R&D scientist at a biotech startup, so I’m one of about ten employees and most of my work is in the lab. I can’t really take much of my work home with me, so I’ll just have to miss time for the kids. Also if one of us has to self-quarantine, then we all will due to the close working proximity between everyone. We would effectively shut down for two weeks.

Interesting times...

Edit: and TP is definitely the most hoarded item here, too. Interesting times indeed...

Arctodus

Diabloii.Net Member
I cannot for the life of me understand why the hoarding behavior is centered around TP. Really, it's not something your life depends on... Let say your out of it, you can still clean yourself decently if you use your imagination. However, without food, that's something else. Yet, while the TP alley was almost empty when I went to the grocery store today, there was no shortage of food. Irrational behavior at its best.

Schools and kindergarden are still open in Montreal, but the city facilities are closed, like public pools for instance. Pretty sure the schools, thus the kindergardens, will follow soon enough. Not really worried about me and my kids because we're all in good health, but still I'm careful. Will probably work from home next week. Easily enough for me, because I'm a cataloging librarian, specialized in serial publications; I'll just bring a good bunch of journals and such at home and be good for a week or two easily.

Really hope that the consequences of all this will be not too bad, like the early mortality stats suggests.

Reactions: mir

djmbbandie

Diabloii.Net Member
Here in SoCal everything related to large gatherings is closed. My government job is monitoring the situation and will most likely make us telework if it gets on base. Costco chaos and lack of toilet paper/ hand sanitizer here too. Since niantic has postponed community day, I will be sitting at home spinning my pokestop and doing remote battling.....

jjscud

Diabloii.Net Member
Today alone is probably one of the most surreal days of my life. It started off with a couple more things closed / cancelled and ended with what feel like everything cancelled. I went to walmart this evening and buying a ton of food wasn't an option, there wasn't even a shopping cart to put it in. All gatherings of 100+ people have been banned here (Utah) and everyone who can work from home has been encouraged to. My CEO sent out an email last night saying we were ready to go full telecommuting but doubted it would come to that. I was part of the manager meeting today where it was decided to do just that.

Ultimately, I'm with Gripphon, once something gets out its basically impossible to get rid of it. I don't see how all this can do anything more than slow it down a little. Maybe slowing it down will help and allow the healthcare system to deal with it better, maybe.

Interesting times.

Last edited:

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
I feel like you @DaveW. I know as a generally healthy guy in his mid 30s I have nothing to fear, but mortality rates for elderly (and having parents in that risk group) makes me scared AF.

Germany here. At my firm we're in mandatory home office indefinitely, and we're very clearly seeing a major economic hit in business activities over the last couple of days. I'm liking these re timing with RFL! But seriously, I'm shocked at how slowly governments (except for China) react. For my liking, federal gov here is still too much talking the talk rather than walking the walk. Whereas experiences in other countries clearly show it's time for decisive measures. If governments don't implement some type of lockdown – and only by doing that very early is how China got somewhat of a grip on it – one can only hope that people go for self-isolation.

Last edited: