Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: Arcade RPGs

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by i_marsolek, Mar 25, 2004.

1. i_marsolek

i_marsolek IncGamers Member

OT: Arcade RPGs

I remember when I was a younger man strolling into the arcade at a local University student union and pumping in quarters to a game called Dungeons and Dragons Tower of Doom. This was one of my first exposures to RPG/Action RPG. To my knowledge there hasn't been many more arcade games of this genre made. I know there was a sequel to D&D but has there been/are there now any other arcade games like this?....maybe some released in Japan or Europe that I don't know about?

2. bradley_turner

bradley_turner IncGamers Member

i remember about 2 months ago when the comic store i hang out at got that arcade game, and the thing didnt lock, so you could just open it up and press the button 50 times for free credits :D fun times, fun times, except until 2 of our group got caught for it and banned from going anywhere near it, luckily they didnt tell on us, and we had planned what we would do if we did get caught anyways :D

after alla that, no, i dont think they made any more like it

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

yea, but hw can they improve on perfection? D+D is a very good arcade game, i love it! just see past that bad graphics and its wonderful!

4. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Basically all an arcade does is play a game system like a playstation on a TV screen. The hard part about putting RPG's on arcade type genres is that they are not easily controlled for amount of play time.

Ie take Diablo and play it on an arcade. Do you end the session for the player after they get a waypoint or do you do it when their Char dies? How do you store different players info? Several other considerations are needed when thinking of putting a RPG out as an arcade.

The key to arcades is fun for a short time and a quarter. This is how the arcade industry makes money. They get you interested in a game and then hook you by letting it play through for a bit and get increasingly harder in order to end your session. After which more money is required to continue. RPG's do not follow this type of structure and therefore are not good canidates for arcade games.

I would love to see the game creaters/programers come up with a Multi User RPG as an arcade but I doubt it will ever happen. So D&D Tower of Doom and the Gauntlet series are the best we have I guess.

5. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Ahh yes, D&D. As a matter of fact, I have them right on my computer right now, and play them once in a while. :D

I've been hearing rumor about a new version of that game (after tower of doom and shadow over mystara), but that's about it. Hopefully when they do it, they won't screw it up like they did with metal slug 4.