Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: An MS-DOS vs WinXP Question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by sativola, Feb 22, 2004.

1. sativola

sativola IncGamers Member

OT: An MS-DOS vs WinXP Question

Flamearrows's new tourney idea brought back this question to my mind. Is there a way I can get MS-DOS based programs to run on my computer (I'm using Windows XP)? I know they can't run while XP is running, I've tried many, many times.

I do have a second hard drive installed, so is there a way I can put MS-DOS on it and have an option (on boot up) to boot to that hard drive instead of my C drive? I figure if there is then I can play all my old DOS-based program favorites to my heart's content and NOT have to buy an old computer just so I can play them.

2. Flamearrows

Flamearrows IncGamers Member

One option would be to partition your drive and install windows 98se on the partition. that'll run DOS games plenty well enough. I'd have no idea how to config boot.ini to run a dual-boot operating system, on either a partitioned drive or on a seperate HDD, and to tell you the truth, there are better nerds than me to ask about that sort of thing

flamearrows

3. Kamelbarn

Kamelbarn IncGamers Member

It would be even better to use a old harddrive for just MS-DOS. Win Xp doesn't really like to cooperate with good ol' DOS.

4. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

There are a couple of programs around which effectively emulate low spec PCs under Windows, specifically so you can run old DOS applications. The two which immediately come to mind are DOSBox and BOCHS, both of which can be found lurking around on sourceforge.net somewhere (as I recall).

5. Chaldan

Chaldan IncGamers Member

I still haven't had any major problems running old DOS games in XP. VDMSound is a great help in some cases, but other games run just fine without any modifications whatsoever. One problem is speed, but so far I've only come acroiss one of my games which is unplayable because of this (Wing Commander Academy, IIRC)

6. sativola

factotum: will check the net for those programs. Many thanks!

7. StarWarz2

StarWarz2 IncGamers Member

If system speed is such an issue, try looking for a program called MoSlo. It emulates a slower processor (either as a percentage of the current processor or a flat 4.7MHz.) When they re-released the AD&D Gold Box games (and other games) a couple years back, this was included. I'm not sure if it can still be found.

I do know that it only affects the process being run (i.e. the DOS game while it's running) and not the rest of the system.

HTH,

8. sativola

Got DOSBox and it is a godsend.

I also found Moslo, but probably won't need it, since the shell DOSBox uses also seems like has a similar effect.

My problem wasn't speed. The problem was WinXP won't run games that solely use MS-DOS.

Thanks for the help!