OT:All students man your battle stations

Baranor

Diabloii.Net Member
OT:All students man your battle stations

Tomorrow I will give my first ever class in highschool, enlightening students about Biology in the 4th, 5th and 6th grade (the last 3 grades in our highschool system)> Its a cute class with 30 students and they are nice, but noisy. After that they are mine, all MINE! I'll try and save some for eastern but most likely I'll eat em all before that :flip:

Seriously, I'm a tad nervous, even though I'm 24 and they are only 15. I know everything about biology but I have to tell them about a school system that I wasnt in. We currently have something that is called the "2nd phase system" and I never had that. Oh well, nothing to do. Next lesson will be about chromosomes and evolution, a tad more interesting and a LOT more fun.

terrymanning

Diabloii.Net Member
Good luck! I'm trying to remember when I was 15 and what I responded to better, a kind word or a firm shout. Heck, try both. Have fun.

TM

Baranor

Diabloii.Net Member
WingBlade said:
Stefan,

Good luck with the teaching... esp since your teaching 15 y.o.... :thumbsup:
*sigh* in three weeks it will be 17 year olds, but I can handle those. They might be bigger, but they sure as hell arent furrier-er-ish-something.

STINGER

Diabloii.Net Member
So, how do you possibly write on the board without opposable thumbs?

I am sure one claw drag on the chalk board will get thier attention!

Also, dont eat them, last i heard it was illegal to eat anything under the age of 18 if you are 24!

CoonerTheRed

Diabloii.Net Member
my dad is a middle school teacher (ages 14-15) and he has a reputation for that sort of stuff... apparently when he was a young teacher like Baranor, he tossed some kid in a garbage can for wising off. (this was a long time ago... you could do those things without getting fired or sued). The current version of the story (30-odd years later) is that he tossed someone in a garbage can, then rolled them down the hall, then down the stairs in it :D

the moral of the story... if you eat one kid now, you'll be feared forever :surprise:

Silkweed

Diabloii.Net Member
Hahaha, when I was in grade 9 science class, we had a this TA for biology. He was in his last year and was going on to study biochemistry or microbiology or something at some university.

Anyway, you know those girls that think they're so good looking and dress all scantily? Well, I can't remember how it happened, but one day we were talking about skin cells or something and he was telling the class beauty queen that all of the skin on her face was dead. "Everything I see right now is dead cells. Your face is completely dead."

She was never the same after that.

:lol:

Kitriara

Diabloii.Net Member
Baranor, if the kids are running around out of control just tap em with a Hit Blinds Target item - they'll just stand there until you can get to 'em all.

Whew... god, OK, that was lame, I know. :xx:

Panders

Diabloii.Net Member
Corporal Punishment, it's the only way. Savage beatings my friend, savage beatings shall keep them in line. =P That or cookies, your choice.

Baranor

Diabloii.Net Member
Panders said:
Corporal Punishment, it's the only way. Savage beatings my friend, savage beatings shall keep them in line. =P That or cookies, your choice.
I give them cookies and them eat them? How rude! I eat the cookies and then eat them! That's better!

Hacker24

Diabloii.Net Member
This is a semi rant, semi tips section for all High school bio teachers.
OK!
Rule number one.
Always let your students know when the quizzes tests, hw etc is due! I hate teachers that say you MIGHT have a quiz tomorrow. It's pointless, let the students know so they can study. me choca pop quizzes.
RULE NUMBER TWO!!!
Don't be sarcastic and rude to any of your students. No matter how stupid what they say is.
Number three.
Don't make fun of a kid in front of the class.
I am not telling you how to do your job because i don't know. Basically, i hate my ap bio teacher. So this is just me ranting. Oh yeah, even if you are great, a few students will hate you. WITH A PASSION. this is sort of an immature post, but it makes me feel better.

Baranor

Diabloii.Net Member
Feel free to rant, I dont mind. Pop-quizzes are idiotic, and the system in the Netherlands does not have room for those when it comes to biology.

Remember that teachers are also only humans who have a job: To teach you things. If they have a bad day at home, have a headache or whatever they MIGHT not feel like talking to 30 people per hour, but they still have to.

Don't wory. My students don't have to like me, as long as they behave I will behave.

Hacker24 said:
This is a semi rant, semi tips section for all High school bio teachers.
OK!
Rule number one.
Always let your students know when the quizzes tests, hw etc is due! I hate teachers that say you MIGHT have a quiz tomorrow. It's pointless, let the students know so they can study. me choca pop quizzes.
RULE NUMBER TWO!!!
Don't be sarcastic and rude to any of your students. No matter how stupid what they say is.
Number three.
Don't make fun of a kid in front of the class.
I am not telling you how to do your job because i don't know. Basically, i hate my ap bio teacher. So this is just me ranting. Oh yeah, even if you are great, a few students will hate you. WITH A PASSION. this is sort of an immature post, but it makes me feel better.

FoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi baranor! and gj :D

by the way i agree with hacker but i think if you're not smart enough too read between the lines ("there MIGHT be a test tomorrow" and "that question MIGHT be in the test tomorrow") you shouldn't even be at school... these are just tips your teacher is trying to give you...

Oxy

Diabloii.Net Member
In all honesty,

In order to be a good teacher, I feel (I know, rather) that you need to be thriving to become something, and have a sense of direction in life, in order for youngins to be able to learn from you. Besides the fact that you need to know your stuff, which I think you do, don't slam down on them (them being the kids). Relax. It can be hard at first, but settle down in a chair, tell them about yourself, that you play D2, which can be surprisingly comforting.

NightShade

Diabloii.Net Member
Out of no where pretend you have tourrettes, that's sure to make you the class clown...and everyone respescts them right?

Ka0s047

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok here we go, im gana give tell you the things i hate about my bio teacher.
(BTW:Im 15 and in 10th grade)
Ok, now, a few were named above my Hacker, none of these pop quizes, i hate em, and i know all students do. If a student doesnt understand something, dont ignore them and move on because you think they are dumb and should understand it. If you want your kids to respect you, respect them treat them like they are a good friend of yours out having a beer. Dont treat them like they are little kids. Joke around some, dont be a hard ***. DONT lecture all the time, you will put kids to sleep, and they will learn nothing, and if they dont fall asleep they will daze off into space. Do as many experiments as you can, i for one enjoy that kinda stuff, taking notes and listen to a teach lecture is not something i want to do for an hour. Also for a review before a test the next day dont get lazy and say "here there are 12 points on the board right them down, this is your study guide, i have to go recrod my grades, the rest of the hour is yours....This maybe ok if its not the day before a test, but when it is, i want to get some review in...
This is all i can think of right now. But these are some of the things my bio teacher does that i HATE.
Gl with your class, just make it interesting and you should be fine, most younger teachers are the best...

Prez

Diabloii.Net Member
High School?!?

Ack..

My advice is the same as that anti-persiperant commercial..."never, ever, let them see you sweat"

High Schoolers are like sharks...if they smell blood in the water, you're toast!

Good luck

Prez

FoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Lecturing kids isn't actually a bad thing if you add some crazy life experience that you had (dont talk about d2 stuff tho ;) ) my ethique (religion) teacher always talked to us about his crazy parties when he was young and how he used to get drunk and sleep with girls, etc... and even tho it sounds "cool" he was actually sending a message that the kids understood...