Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OT: A Chernobyl Story

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by D2Addict, Apr 6, 2004.

1. D2Addict

D2Addict IncGamers Member

OT: A Chernobyl Story

A friend of mine ran across this link while he was searching for some sites the other day. I found it to be a very good and graphic presentation of what Chernobyl is like today over 17 years after the nuclear accident. It is long (~30 web pages) and has some big pictures so just a warning before you start. I think it goes by fast once you start reading it.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

2. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

My father sent me that link a little over a week ago. Many pictures of the city itself are very erie.

Good post D2A :thumbsup:

3. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Really interesting thing to read...thanks D2A :thumbsup:

Very sad that all happened. I was 2 years old then so I can't remember anything about it.

Quite horrible to think people watching that all just because they didn't understand what it all was about and then died to radiation :hanky:

Reading anything like this makes me to think

4. Moog_playa

Moog_playa IncGamers Member

Yeah, great link...thanks D2Addict. And to think we americans think of Three Mile Island as a disaster...it's popcorn compared to the scale of Chernobyl.

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

it happened exactly 1 year before iwas born, so my memories of it are kinda blank.
    but thats look like a good read, if i got a spare while ill read through it all.

6. Kung Poo

Kung Poo IncGamers Member

Hmm.. I was 4 years old when that happened. I remember as I got a little older that it was big news, and many people thought it hailed the end of the world. Of course, at the time, I was too young to understand what'd happened.

Looking through those pictures and hearing the history behind it, it makes me wonder what would happen if that occurred again. I mean, everyone was shocked when 9/11 happened, and rightfully so, but it was a self-contained incident with no physical repurcussions (such as radiation). Trying to imagine if a nuclear explosion happened now, with all of the fallout and lasting radiation for centuries to come... it's nearly impossible to predict the outcome.

I certainly hope not to experience something like that in my lifetime, but that's the thing. You just never know.

7. Fallen_62

Fallen_62 IncGamers Member

good link D2A!! i am fascinated by things like this, hopefully my teacher wont wonder why i am staring so intently at the screen during webpage class...

edit: i really liked that site... wish i could go and see the dead zone... its looks so serene, its scary... and the teacher walked by many times while i was reading, but i designed our schools web page w/o any classes, so she didnt say anything about me reading that...

8. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

wow... that was intense.

9. esd

esd IncGamers Member

I was 3 years old at the time so I don't remember anything about it. Even though it was kinda close to us (I live in Latvia). What I find most fascinating is that the Dead Zone is full of life. Nature seems to be better off in there than in areas with human farming. Too bad I cannot afford (not nearly enough money) a trip to see it myself.

10. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Yeah, I remember that time pretty well. I lived in Eastern Washington near the Hanford Area (4 or so reactors). We got a little worried about the cloud that traveled the world.

That was a powerful show. I can't compare it to 9/11 because we didn't know much until later.

11. D2Addict

D2Addict IncGamers Member

Glad you all took time to read it. I wouldn't keep riding thru myself with all that radiation. Thanks for making me feel old too. I was in high school when it happened. :)

12. Mage11

Mage11 IncGamers Member

I was in high school too. It is an awesome site (I think there was a link from the OT forum at one stage). It does create a number of emotional reactions too, and I thought it was well worth the look. I almost want to go there and see myself.

13. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Road trip anyone?

Seriously though, that was an amazing set of shots. Sometimes I walk alone around our university at 3 or 4 am and see no one and hear nothing except the wind and the cars on snelling avenue. I go to camp every summer and work 70 days in the woods, where it is silent, but I can't even imagine what thunderous and continuous silence must be present there. Definately eeire.

crg

14. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

Thanks, D2A, that's a pretty amazing site/sight.

I was just about to graduate university when it happened. I remember that it scared the hell out of me at the time. I remember wondering about which way the nuclear plume would drift. I remember wondering about the people in its way. Most of all, I remember being angry that the Russian gov't kept pretending that everything was fine. As an engineering student, I knew better. I just didn't realise how bad the truth really was.

The site is a powerful lesson for the future.

15. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

Wow...when I was reading the story, a song came on my Media player...."The Road Home/Seeing The Bomb", from "Empire of The Sun". In the movie, the scene in which it plays is eerily similar; Jim is wandering through a field of abandoned items, and afterwards, reels in the glare of the Hiroshima bomb. It is an eerie tune, and completely apropos.

I cannot tell you how sad it makes me feel, and how annoyed that this tragedy-by any accounting, one of the worst in the history oif our planet, remains largely unknown to the western world. The disaster at Chernobyl should be required reading for all HS students, and adults; I was ashamed at the lack of knowledge I had concerning the incident.

Why is it that we create legacies to the most amazingly trivial things, yet ignore so many profound situations? I was 17 when this happened, and I can tell you that I too, took the news cavalierly-we did not have all the info then, to be fair, but I was certainly more concerned with Don Mattingly's batting average, and who the Jets would take in the draft then in the horror unfolding in the Soviet Union. I remember idiots saying things like "good for them, they got what was coming to them." GOOD FOR THEM? I wish I could go back in time, and strangle that fool.

I can do no good for the few survivors of Chernobyl, nor pay homage to the deceased, by being sad or ashamed. I am not the activist type, but I will ask people to visit that site, and think on it. Perhaps they will let their children know about it, and maybe one day, sooner than later, a child will run in the Ghost Town once more.

Steve

16. Milamber

Milamber Banned

I remember this happening, but for the life of me I cannot remember when..I think I was like 6-8 years old.