Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

oskills (call to arms)

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by ploof, Feb 27, 2004.

1. ploof

ploof IncGamers Member

oskills (call to arms)

wondered whether people were aware of this? I'm betting you are, just thought it was interesting...

"However, oskills work differently for classes that "own" that skill. In this case, it's a Sorceress getting a bonus to Fireball. In the other case, it was a Druid getting a bonus to Arctic Blast. If a character gets an oskill bonus to a skill that class "owns," the bonus is restricted to a maximum of +3. If a Barbarian is dual-wielding Call to Arms runeword weapons, the +3 cap is applied to the total from both weapons. This is all intentional, in order to balance these items." - taken from arreat summit

it's talking about stuff like "call to arms" or "frostwind" which give more than just 3 to a skill, and it doesn't work for a class which owns that skill...

which completley eliminates any advantage call to arms would have had on a barb, at all, compared to echo weapons. Personally, I find it rather distressing :rant:

oh well. Sorry for wasting anyones time if you all already knew :wave:

2. asdfghjkl

asdfghjkl IncGamers Member

Yes, that is true. Dual wielding CtA on a barb would be useless. However, to attain the highest level of BO, the perfect setup would be to wield a CtA with at least +3 BO and a normal Echoing weapon. This will give the barb +7 to BO.

3. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

I'm confused... are you saying it'd give one more than six because it has battle command on there too? Because the barb will have a point in battle command anyway, so I don't see how CtA + echoing weapon gives +1 more than 2 echoing weaps.

--fatty

4. ploof

ploof IncGamers Member

he's referring to the one to all skills offered by CtA, which would mean:

4 from CtA, 3 from echo.

And you can't wield two CtA because of the 3 penalty, i'm guessing? I figured it would be per item, so wouldn't it be better to wield 2 CtA?

just thinking... it's late :sleep:

5. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Fatty:

as ploof said, the CtA/Echoer combo gives +7 to bo because CtA can give a total of +4: +3 oskills and +1 all skills (askills). The cap is +3 oskills on any class that has the skill in their tree to begin with.

ploof:

The oskill limitation is not per-item, it's total across all equipment. Wielding two CtA would be terrible, as then you would get a grand possible total of +5 BO/BCry/BComm, +2 to all other warcries. One CtA and one Echoer will give you up to +7 bo/bcomm/bcry, +4 all other cries. Thus, it's just much better to go for two echoers, as it's not only much, much cheaper, but you likewise get +6 across the board to all your cries, which makes them more balanced.

I had written this all up and it was stickied before the forum crash back on January 27th, then I reqrote the FAQ and reposted it, but the mods failed to sticky it. Maybe I should redraft it and petition Crow or Zoso to pin it up again.

-Hal

6. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

ah yes, of course! I completely forgot about the +1 to skills that CtA had on it. Silly me.

I still wish they wouldn't have the oskills cap though. I want to have a arctic blast druid w/ frostwind hehehe

--fatty