Osama bin Laden dead?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Osama bin Laden dead?

Look what I just saw on my ISP news:

my crappy ISP news said:
A newspaper has quoted a French secret service report as saying Saudi Arabia is convinced Al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden died of typhoid in Pakistan last month.

The French regional newspaper, L'Est Republicain, has printed what it says is a copy of the report, dated September 21.

It says the report was shown to French President Jacques Chirac, Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin and France's Interior and Defence Ministers on the same day.

"According to a usually reliable source, the Saudi services are now convinced that Osama Bin Laden is dead," the document said.

"The information gathered by the Saudis indicates that the head of Al Qaeda was a victim while he was in Pakistan on August 23, 2006, of a very serious case of typhoid, which led to a partial paralysis of his internal organs."

The report, stamped with a "confidential defence" label and the initials of the French secret service, says Saudi Arabia first heard the information on September 4 and is waiting for more details before making an official announcement.

France's Defence Ministry says the report cannot be confirmed but it will launch an inquiry into the leak of secret documents.

The Pakistani Government says it has received no information from any foreign government that would corroborate the report.

Saudi-born Bin Laden was based in Afghanistan until US-backed forces overthrew its Taliban Government in late 2001.

Since then, US and Pakistani officials have regularly said they believe he is hiding somewhere on the rugged border between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The last videotaped message released by Bin Laden was in late 2004, but several low-quality audio tapes have been released this year.

- Reuters
Source: Reuters
Can't link to the article, it won't let you in unless you're with my ISP.

Well, not that I put much stock in reports like these, but I wonder...

ragnar_ii said:
No, but its a pretty decent step in the right direction.
I agree completely

(side note- Does any one else find it amusing that the French president has the same name as a character on Bugs Bunny? I have a problem reading "Jacques Chirac" with out adding "Black" at the beginning.)

Dawnmaster

Diabloii.Net Member
Or it's a trick to launch the next wave of their "holy" war...

In either way, it would be acceptable to believe he died by now, he's been mortally ill for years, they didn't gave him 5 more years so...

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Bin Laden dying means nothing for the "war on terror." If Bush died, someone else with the same ideology would come to take his place. If anything, he will gain some type of sainthood status, which will feed more and more militant terrorist attacks.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
If he is dead then this is bad for us, a real victory would've been bringing him in alive and putting him on trial and then NOT EXECUTING HIM so as not to make him a martyr.

This doesn't precisely make him a martyr, but it denies us the chance to make an example of him and dent their morale. So not really as bad as us killing him I guess, but not good either.

If it's true, of course. It wouldn't be the first time this has been thought.

DurfBarian said:
CAN WE TRUST THE SAUDIS ?
Well he's one of theirs and they want him dead as much as anybody I suppose.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
One thing's for sure . . . If he is actually dead, we get to see Karl Rove spin "we spent billions going after this guy for five years and we could have just waited him to catch a realy bad cold instead" into "Victory October Surprise Democrats Hate America." He's good, that guy.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
dondrei said:
If he is dead then this is bad for us, a real victory would've been bringing him in alive and putting him on trial and then NOT EXECUTING HIM so as not to make him a martyr.

This doesn't precisely make him a martyr, but it denies us the chance to make an example of him and dent their morale. So not really as bad as us killing him I guess, but not good either.
I agree completely. I will be seriously disappointed if he is actually dead.

Of course, I don't have much faith anymore that had we caught him, it would have been handled correctly anyway.

SaroDarksbane said:
I agree completely. I will be seriously disappointed if he is actually dead.

Of course, I don't have much faith anymore that had we caught him, it would have been handled correctly anyway.
That is true. It would have been nice to make an example of him, but I also agree that it would not have been handled appropriately.

Road Ratt

Diabloii.Net Member
This is leaked information and hasn't been confirmed yet, until it is I have my doubts. Not that it will matter much, We're fighting our war on terror in Iraq now. So Al-qaeda and the Taliban aren't of much importance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Washington is the only president who didn't blame the previous administration for his troubles. ~Author Unknown

jimmyboy

Diabloii.Net Member
What is sounds like an intentional disinformation leak by the French secret service with the intent of making Osama release a tape that he is alive so that we can put a trail on their messneger and hopefully trace it back to Osama himself.

This of course means that our trail is cold, and we have no idea where he is.