Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Oregon jumps on the equality bandwagon

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anakha1, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Oregon jumps on the equality bandwagon

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/03/03/same.sex.main/index.html

Like it or not, this has become a civil rights movement. Homosexual marriage will become a reality eventually, despite Bush and co.'s moronic homophobic and predjudiced drivel.

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

here's what I think on this whole issue

I say let *** couples get married

I say increase tax benefits for having children, show some support to those that are reproducing, or those *** couples that are capable of adopting and raising children, I don't want to get into the implications of same-sex couples being allowed to adopt, ok, shutting up now, almost 4am, writing paper, incoheremt, Antebellum South, emancipation *** marriage haywire braindead g'night

3. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Cool! I broke his brain...

4. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I could get a coke, but it's my last one... hmm.. dillemma, I need my brain juice, I guess I've no choice, oh, sorry, continue with your *** thing, yea, what also bugs me is this is about same-sex marriage and while being ambiguous on gender it also seems ambiguous on oh... I don't know... LOVE? here I would agree with those "sanctity of marriage" people in that something like this is bad

5. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Apparently love is only incidental to marriage. What really matters is the proper ratio of dingdongs to hoohoos.

6. Silvermyst

Silvermyst IncGamers Member

Good to hear/see (read?). While on this topic, is San Fransisco still marrying gays? Or did the Governator do something about that. :scratch:

This might actually be resolved sooner rather then later :thumbsup:

7. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

They're still marrying them. The Superior Court has decided that anti-*** proponents have not shown that there is a good enough constitutionally valid reason to forbid homosexual marriage. They've given them time to come up with a new ******** excuse to ban it, but so far at least three attempts have been shot down.

8. Silvermyst

Hmm, I wonder how many attempts it will take them to realize that there is literally no reason why gays shouldn't be allowed to wed.

9. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

They have until friday to submit their reasons. If none of them hold any water with the court, *** marriages will be held as legal.

10. Silvermyst

Unfortunately while that's all well and good, it still won't be socially acceptable (in some areas) for many years to come.

It should mean the end of ***-marriage threads here though :clap: :buddies:

11. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Not likely. It will only be legal in San Fran and the other areas that have legalized it. Even that could be taken away if Bush forces his bigoted ideals and gets his constitutional amendment through.

12. Silvermyst

aww jeez. Although he's not much better, I hope John Kerry wins this election.

13. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

What I wonder is when they actually going to actually arrest these officials who are breaking the law . . .

14. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

I like guys like this.

It's not war, or an energy crisis, or an environmental breakdown, or a million other things that threaten our future, it's same sex marriage. Awesome.

15. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

The best part is, perhaps unwittingly, Oregon lawmakers defined marriage ambiguously.

the horse's mouth

If you read it correctly, there's no legal reason to stop a dude from marrying another dude. Even in the 60's, Oregon was progressive. I knew there was a reason for me to go to school there.

16. advil

advil IncGamers Member

sig material, sig material! :D

17. toader

toader Banned

Im a little confused on *** marriages. (sorry this is a little OT)...

Why do *** people want to get married? Cant they love each other enough just being together? They cant procreate. I guess they could adopt, but I dont really think you need to be married to adopt (not sure on that one). The only real reason I can fathom for the big push to get marreid is $$$.

I dont really know whether Im for or against *** marriages yet. But as of now, I cant really see a reason they need to be married. Im guessing its kinda like the little kid syndrom right now....you tell them NO, so they want to do it even more.

18. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I have a question (and I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything)... why don't we ask straight people the same question? No one questions hetero's desire to get married... why do we question homosexuals' desire? That makes no sense to me. Procreation has already been proven not to be a very good reason to get married given all the hetero people who can't/won't have kids.

How would you feel if someone told you that you couldn't marry the love of your life?

19. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I wouldn't care. I reckon love is stronger than the government.

Toader, as I see it, it's a combo platter of homosexuals wanting the same benefits as straight folks with respect to the social and financial pluses of being married and just being treated equally under the law.

20. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Some people don't see it that way. Marriage is an expression of love to many people. Marriage to some is a recognition of their relationship and feelings for one another, not just a method for governmental bonuses. If it was just that, I doubt that anti-same sex marriage proponents would be so vehement in their denouncement. If it were only about tax deductions and the like, would anti-*** marriage supporters be so adament about preventing them from marrying? Instead they argue that homosexuals' relationship aren't as good or as legitimate, if at all, as heterosexual marriages and therefore don't warrant the right to marry. Marriage is a symbol to many people, including homosexuals, of their devotion and link to one another. As long as marriage is not allowed for homosexuals some believe, including me, that their relationship is not considered legitimate. It's not equal and that's not right.