Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ordered D2LoD -> 1CD, 2 Keys, whaa!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Feonn, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Feonn

Feonn IncGamers Member

Ordered D2LoD -> 1CD, 2 Keys, whaa!

Ok, here's the thing.

I have my original copy of D2, all three CD's + Code
    My dad lost my D2LoD CD, I dó have the case (and thus the key) but I don't have the CD...

Now, I just ordered a new copy, because I'm impatient and I want the game asap. I've searched everywhere, and I just can't find it. I lost it 1.5 month ago...(I'm quite sure about that). So I ordered a new LoD...
    My dad is in the French Alps, cycling, and he doesn't know where it is (he said he didn't even know what I was talking about) and my mother, who usually cleans EVERYTHING up in the house, didn't know it either.
    It's IN my house 100% sure but I looked in every CD case...Probably, eventually it'll pop up somewhere, but I can't wait because the ladder just reset :D

So, that will result in having:

1x Original D2 + Code
    1x Original D2LoD + Code
    1x D2LoD Code...

Afterall...I realize I shouldn't have bought a new copy (only 12€ but still...)because with the new patch I could probably just play it without a CD...
    Thing is, I had the folder on the computer, and I was like: I'll remove it and re-install just D2 so I can play SP and upgrade later on, removed it to Recycly bin, and then I read about the 1.12 Patch...I was like: Yes, woot! I can play. And then I accidentaly pushed remove from bin instead of place everything back. So I didn't get any better of tha, t.

Ok, that was my story of how sad I am, I'd like to know this:
    What could I do with the remaining CD key? I hear people talking about running 2 copies and such...and that it's good to have 2 copies for Hellforge and stuff...?
    Could anyone explain this a bit?
    And to run 2 copies, do I need 2 original CD's too?

I think I just wasted 12€...Hopefully I can reclaim it from my dad, because he's the one that lost it.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Re: Ordered D2LoD -> 1CD, 2 Keys, whaa!

Yes, you can run the game twice in parallel with just one CD in the drive, but you need two sets of game keys (which you seem to have). It's very useful when muling and when rushing characters. You can rush a mule along the way, by keeping him partied and moving him from act to act, for extra quest rewards and muling in all acts in all difficulties.

It's all in here: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=435822

3. Feonn

Feonn IncGamers Member

Ok, thanks alot, but I don't need 2 Diablo II keys (not expansion)
    If that's the case, that'd be cool :D

So the key isn't linked to the CD? So it doesn't matter which key I use with a certain CD as long as the key is working?

4. psych

psych IncGamers Member

You do need 2 _sets_ of keys, so also an extra D2 original key for running 2 instances.

The cd is not tied to these keys (they are pressed with 1000+ at the same time, so there is no way to find 'individual' marks on them).

5. Feonn

Feonn IncGamers Member

Ouchies, that would mean I don't need the other CD key...
    What if I would borrow a friends disc, put up the key I still have and then with patch 1.12 I wouldn't need my CD anymore, could that work? Then I wouldn't have needed to order the other CD...I hate it to let something go to waste, though I can't live without having an original copy :thumbup:

Maybe I'll give it away then :D

6. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

Even if you delete something from the recycle bin it's still on your hard drive until you've overwritten the data. So ... you could try an undelete software. :nod:

7. Feonn

Feonn IncGamers Member

Hmmm....what do you mean by that? I have removed D2LoD from my computer (into recycle bin, and emptied the bin) and then I reinstalled D2 (not expansion) I guess that's overwriting?

I tried a System-restore, so if as the computer was a week ago, didn't help...

8. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

To make it simple, you can think of the files you see when you explore a folder as pointers, pointing towards a location on your hard disk where the files are actually located. If you delete something like that you'll only be deleting a pointer, the actual file on the hard disk itself is still in existence.

Since the pointer for the location on your hdd has been deleted, windows will however think of that space as free disk space, and might store something onto that space should it find it suitable.

If you've ever used defrag you should be aware that the actual files on your hdd might be shattered all over the place.

Deleting a program and then installing a new one does not necessarily mean that the new program will be written onto the same location on the hdd even if it's in the same "folder" in windows "pointer" system. But it might happen, thus the more things you install after having deleted something, the less is the chance for a undelete software to be able to restore the deleted files.

Hmm or something along those lines. :cloud9:

9. Feonn

Feonn IncGamers Member

Ok thanks, it doesn't really matter anymore, because today I'll get a new game :D

That still leaves me with 1 unused CD key...I hate it when things are let go to waste :(

10. Opeeq

Opeeq IncGamers Member

If I understand correctly, you have 1 D2classic key and 2 LoD keys? Hehe I'd just get another classic key and have two sets of keys. I have found it to be useful when baalrunning: use pala to open + kill, and leech with the other char - it's pretty fast.

Boosting is also fast, although somewhat boring (did tens of boost per day before, I get sick when someone asks me for a boost nowadays ^^ and still do it though lol)

11. RubenusPontius

RubenusPontius IncGamers Member

For me it's the other way around; I have 2 d2 keys and 1 lod key, which is much more usefull because now I can self-rush my chars in classic and convert them to exp for hellforge and such...

12. Feonn

Feonn IncGamers Member

Wow, indeed yeah! You're right...

Dang...I can't let that CD key go to waste, any suggestions how I can hold a lottery/poem contest or something? :D