Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Order of activation qs

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ricrestoni, Feb 16, 2004.

1. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

Order of activation qs

Monster delivers elemental damage -> ??? -> You take the rest of it

In which order take effect in the ???
    - resists
    - % absorb
    - absolute (numerical) absorb
    - absotute magical damage reduction
    - Cyclone Armor
    - Energy Shield

Likewise, for physical damage:
    - % DR
    - Absolute DR
    - Bone Armor
    - Energy shield

Also, did I forget anything? Maybe the curses?

2. Nathanjk

Nathanjk IncGamers Member

I was also wondering this. I was also wondering if there was a cap on absolute DR. This makes a huge difference.

The only question I think I can answer is I heard that energy shield gets hit first with elemental damage then resistances.

3. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

A little digging turned up this on the LL. I've altered a couple of bits (this is the first post in the thread, some corrections were made later), but I don't guarantee that this is the whole story, of course...

The modification (only one for now) is in bold, so if Jarulf happens by he can see exactly where I've defaced his post :)

4. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

The order in 1.10 is (as far as I know):

- Energy Shield
    - Bone Armor/Cyclone Armor
    - PDR/MDR i.e. (magic) damage reduced by X
    - % Resistance (fire/cold/lightning/poison/magic/physical)
    Lower Resist, Decrepify, Amplify Damage, Conviction and Cold Mastery as well as -%resist from certain items (like Ormus' Robes) are applied here also...they simply lower your % resistance
    - % Absorb i.e. 20% cold absorb etc.
    - +Absorb i.e. +20 lightning absorb etc.
    - Damage goes to Mana

Some notes:
    - Damage goes to Mana is kinda worthless, it works on the actually applied damage and Mana Burn is applied after this phase, so Damage goes to Mana won't leave you any mana after being mana burned.
    - % Resistance is capped at -100% for each type. Maximum resists are basically 75% fire/cold/lightning/poison (and I guess magical...but I don't think there's a way to get more than 10% and in 1.10 there's no skills that lower it), 50% physical.
    - Bone Armor/Cyclone Armor now take damage before any reductions and resistances, so they'll go down faster than in 1.09, so they did devaluate somewhat.
    - Energy Shield takes alot more damage than in 1.09 now (which is why some people considered it bugged in 1.10 beta). Now for the good news: the reduction is the first in the stack and followed by PDR/MDR which means their effect gets amplified by the Energy Shield. High level Energy Shield in combination with DR can negate 100s of damage to life (you'll still take alot of mana damage). This is before the resistance phase...if no damage comes through the Shield/DR, Amplify Damage and the likes won't affect you.

Edit: Got beaten to it, oh well...I'll blame Durf for the forum being down when I wanted to post (so I went to actually play some) before hitting 'post' again.

5. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

Thanks a lot, Shade and Zarhrezz. I guess I was trying to compare and evaluate possible mods, maybe even find a loophole. Well, none for me, except maybe the ES/DR Zarhrezz explained.