Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Orbtress joins GodoBlood in 1.00

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TedDeeBoy, Jun 2, 2018.

1. TedDeeBoy

TedDeeBoy Diabloii.Net Member

The past journey started in March 2017 and finally Orbtress makes it 93 in DII patch 1.00

First GodoOBlood the Necro made it and now Orbtress joins him .

(Apologies in advance for the WALL of text)

Build

Stats
    Str 75, 84
    Dex 30, 55
    Vit 190
    Ene 250
    unused 10

Life 611 Mana 985
    FCR 50 (4 steps, 9 frame)
    MF 0%
    Sorc Skills : + 1 (+2 when MF)
    PDR 7
    MDR 0
    Resists MAX LR, CR, FR, PR 69
    FHR 0

Skills
    Max Orb (lvl 21, 152-155),
    Max Blizzard (lvl 21 96-104)
    Max SF(21, 16.6 yard radius)
    Max Warmth(21, with MageFists, Mana Reg 0 to full bulb in 30 seconds)
    CM 12 (13, Formula if monsters CRes > 0, monster CRes * (1 - CM piercing (.79 at slvl 13)))
    ES 2 ( 3, Dur 240 sec, sorb 30% damage)
    LM 1 (2, -23% to mana cost of Lightning tree spells)

Any further pts if earned into either LM, ES or CM

Gear see the video to the names
    Rare Crown, (FRes 17%, Cres 21%, PoiRes 5%, +11 Dex, +6 Life)
    Rare Ammy, (4 PDR, Prismatic, +34 Mana, +2 Dex, +9 Str)
    Gemmed tower shield with 3 Pdiamonds
    Rare Field Plate, PLR 75%, CRes 23%, FRes 17%, LRes 22%, +53 Life, +1 Light
    Spectral Shard
    MageFist,
    NightSmoke
    SoJ, Rare Ring FCR, LRes 49%, CRes 22%, PoiRes 22%, +13 Mana
    Rare Boots, 30 FRW, Cres 11%, FRes 17%, +12 Dex, +1 Light

The build discussion

She was one of my original 8 in 1.00 with 2 barbs and 4 other sorcs and Godoblood the L93 Necro.
    She started as a cookie cutter Orb classic Sorc. The plan was to Max static, Max orb , 15 Warmth, 10 CM, one pt wonders.
    Originally I have looking for options rest of the skill points

option : 8 ES , 5 LM, 8 teleport, rest in Warmth
    option : Max Blizz, 1 l LM and 1 ES and rest into warmth and CM
    option : Max GS, 1 l LM and 1 ES and into warmth and CM
    option : Meteor 15, 1 ES and 1LM rest into FM and meteor

I planned the skill set based on getting +2 skills from the gear. This is very achievable but a lot smaller than in 1.10+.But with all survival gear could only get to +1 skills by L93

In the end after some testing I opted for the Blizzard and Orb build.

I admit this looked looks like a duplication of skills. In classic the sorc game play is different than LoD
    In my opinion with a small screen and no viable merc, mobs surround you quickly and with a small life pool, low def and high AR of monsters means a right hammering for her. Playing involves a lot of dodging and some kiting while using SF.

So why blizz?
    So after testing, I found that Blizzard can be effective. On the surface the damage is shard is weak and as can be quite rightly pointed out, it does no damage to stationary and does very little damage to very small target

However, the duration is slvl + 3 seconds. At slvl 20 blizz has a duration of 23 seconds instead of 4 seconds fixed in later patches meaning when kiting and dodging melee monsters they are getting damaged and slowed when in the blizzard
    With no casting delays on the skill means stacking blizzards is possible. So often I was teleporting or running back through the blizzard to the bring the melee monsters through

It is great for hitting large melee monsters such as urders and cows. Blizz stacks can make maggot XP running viable also
    IMO this provides the safest approach against certain melee monsters. For example, in a fight against Ventor and Grand Visior of Chaos, I drop about 15 stacked blizzards in 6 seconds then touch the seal and step just on the other side of the blizzs. I drop stacked Blizz against Big D also.
    Mana management is better because you get about 5 or seconds of regen while dodging

But the are negatives
    Stacked blizzards are hard to see through on the screen so if missile from monsters in a blizzard are harder to dodge
    Also, it is slower to kill than Orb in raw power but in situation can be faster
    Usually useless against ranged monsters.

So why Orb? (I'll be quick)
    good for ranged monsters, fire it across spaces you cannot reach
    no casting delay means lots of damage as long as you do not run out of mana

the negatives
    mana per skill pt. At level 20 mana costs 63 + 2 skill pt above 20 empties your mana blub quickly
    bad for close range, mana cost is 60+ but if the orb passes through a monster the orb does no damage so useless in close range

Level progression

1 - 37 normal
    37 - 55 NM, some SP some MP
    55 - 64 Hell A2 Canyon of the Magi, MP game
    66 - 83 Hell A4 RoF Maggots only, MP game
    84 - **.5 Self played 4 player MP full clears in the RoF and CS excluding Big D
    **.5+ Urder champion pack at the bottom of the entrance stairs in the Hell RoF on p1

Skill pt order I invested: invest in 1 pt wonders and warmth to char lvl 5 inclusive, at and after char lvl 6, SF to 8 pts , then Warmth 15 while getting 1pt wonders, save pts at 28 and 29, lvl orb CM and LM, CM 6, SF 11, 10 Orb and 5 Blizz alternate, 1 LM, 1 ES, took blizz to 15, took orb to 15 and CM to 10, max SF, orb then blizzard, Max warmth, 2nd pt ES, rest into warmth

If I did this build I would invest more into Blizz (maybe 5 initially) to make level easier at lower levels

Video action
    Here is some action of the champion runs

Summary

This build isn't for everyone as it does require kiting and dodging. Some maybe frustrated with the slow progress through some parts of the game. She is the best NM and Normal rusher. In Hell, I like to pair her with a pike Barb for the dangerous areas.

Thanks for the forum participants who actively play and give advice in the 1.00 forum. Treeharl and Helvete for the guides to start playing

Next project.
    Some self played MP MF using the Orbtress, Godoblood, The Hound, a pike whirler and Gambler in 1.00 in Hell Cows, RoF and CS

As an addendum , they have finally ditched their maps and traded items. For Orbtress, collecting my only +2 Sorc, Prismatic, +19 str ammy was the bonus. In general the boost to +skills is great for mana regen, damage and mana reduction. Also killing Big D means she at 2.11B xp just 176 M XP left to get to level 94. About 200 Diablo kills on p4 sharing with one other partied character

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Jocular, Zyr, Fruit and 2 others like this.
  2. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

Very well done, congrats!

Stacking all those Blizzards and then spamming few Orbs looks awesome! :)

3. TedDeeBoy

Thanks @Grape

It is funny to teleport off in after direction , only to be driven back to where to come and find the blizzards still going and ready to use. Weird game testing criteria imo.
    When I played a maggot XP MP games and stacked some +skills earlier in level the blizzards were lasting close about 27 seconds enough drag many maggots into and nor weapon repairs required.

Now just looking to some nice gear to improve the current toons and hopefully some good stuff to time travel, like many players are;)

4. Kralnor

Kralnor Diabloii.Net Member

Nicely done!

I had all but forgotten that neither Blizzard nor Frozen Orb had timers way back in classic. I definitely didn't remember that Blizzard could have such a long duration, either.

Sometimes I really miss those days. Good old WW barbs, ama/pala parties, and the like :)

5. TedDeeBoy

@Kralnor Yeah, so much fun . But with BVS, there is no need to just miss it. If you have the <=1.03 play disc you can also play it.

6. Kralnor

Kralnor Diabloii.Net Member

@TedDeeBoy Good point! I might actually give it a spin some day. I haven't heard of BVS though, what's that?

7. TedDeeBoy

Bliss's version switcher. Check out the stickies because @fearedbliss created a java application that can switch Dii versions with some help from @GalaXyHaXz created a library of past versions of DII. If some work , you can play anything from 1.00 to the latest patches . It is awesome

8. Fruit

Fruit Diabloii.Net Member

9. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

*Taking notes - Bliz & Orb, Kiting, you say*

Congrats, looks great.

10. TedDeeBoy

@Fruit. Was away from the forums for while with work when that was written, missed that one but looks great

@TheNix Thanks Didn't you give 1.00 a try before. What was your thoughts on the Sorc build?

Fruit likes this.
  11. TheNix

I have got all five characters to sir/dame but I ran off of steam with 1.00; not having a viable muling program was just too much of a pain in the arse. My sorc went down the lighting route, but that was mainly because lightning mastery reduces spell mana costs.

12. TedDeeBoy

I have a Nova Sorc and even with maxed Nova she is weak in Hell because she does not do enough damage and it does not have the crowd control like blizz or Orb. I will eventually forward her to 1.08 and make her lightning/firewall sorc. Agreed the muling aspect is annoying and problematic.

Fruit likes this.
  13. Fruit

Yeah, Lightning (the entire tree) in general seems to be very week in earlier versions. :(
    I do like the idea of Lightning Mastery, but the Lightning skills themselves should probably have done a lot more damage, and maybe also cost a more mana. That way it would make a bit more sense.
    I presume that the typical Lightning tree used to look like: Static Field (20), Teleport (1+), Lightning Mastery (1+).
    Energy Shield is an option, but not a very good one in my opinion. Perhaps Thunder Storm for when you have points left, I guess?

TedDeeBoy likes this.
  14. TedDeeBoy

Yeah thunderstorm may work if maxed. When I played the having a multiple sources of lightning damage and as finishing spell (SF, and nova) as well she getting hammered and the monsters seemed to have high LR. TS maybe something to try. NM A4 maggot were doable in MP with nova.

Fruit likes this.
  15. Fruit

Just a warning that TS can actually miss targets (this wasn't fixed until 1.08). I'm not sure what the problem is. TS seems to hit with a delay, so perhaps the problem is simply that a moving target may be out of range when TS finally hits the ground. There might be more to it, though :D

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    TedDeeBoy likes this.
  16. TheNix

This is making the sorc build I had planned for 1.00 sound less and less viable!

17. Fruit

Yeah it's not appealing, but I don't think TS is a bad pick necessarily. It's a good option if you don't really know what else to do with your skills. Though I would only invest in it if you plan to max it.
    I'm not really a fan of Energy Shield or any of the "cold armors", so there aren't a lot of skills for me where I can put those excess points. Triple-tree requires so many skill points that I just can't bother. :p

Anyway, what build did you have planned?