Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

ORB --- Still alive? WtH? Answers..?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by WvX_leader, Feb 8, 2004.

1. WvX_leader

WvX_leader Banned

ORB --- Still alive? WtH? Answers..?

Bleh I had a few orb sorcs in .09 because i thought they were fun as hell...

I havent seen ONE sorc with orb even hurt my paladin with any amount of orbs and he doesnt have any absorb... Is that because those are .09 builds with no syns?

What is a VERY good orb damage - and is there anyone out there with an orb pker that tears **** up?

thanks -

2. asdfghjkl

asdfghjkl IncGamers Member

My FO/ES sorc does about 730-760 FO damage. CM is about -150 or so. I do diddly squat against my paladin friend, who has max resists in hell (90 all with his guardian angel). FO doesn't do enough damage in pvp, with the penalties and stacked resists. It does, however, absolutely rip everything that is non cold immune in pvm, including Hell Mephisto (dies in about 4-5 orbs). Maybe with Death's Fathom, I'll do enough damage to dent the pal. This is ladder by the way.

Good FO damage? For pvm, 300 and above does pretty good with a decent level Cold Mastery. For pvp, I'm guessing you'll want to shoot for at least 1000 FO damage and at least -150 CM (I think that's slvl27 CM).

3. keanu

keanu IncGamers Member

i think 1 of the reason is that most public duelers/pvm'ers only want dmg (look @ the .09 bowazon), and on a cold sorc, u find this in blizzard..
    but i still find orb sorcies very good.
    i just finished one who is lvl 81, and she does about 1k avg. orb dmg with lvl 40 CM i think, so thats 215% pierce iirc..
    in pvp, everything that doesnt have high resis, like people who just go for 75 resis and call it good, orb kills them instantly...

4. Jell-O

Jell-O IncGamers Member

The problem nowadays is the way cold mastery works, in 1.09 it removed a % of their total cold resistance no matter how much they had which never allowed it to take resists down to 0 but made it very very hard to negate.
    In 1.1 cold mastery takes away a fixed amount of resist which makes it less effective and more easily 'resisted'.

I think the highest damage one could reach with Frozen Orb is around 1300 per shard which makes anything above 1000 quite good, but you can still do fine even in pvp with 700+.

Those numbers are with shako, fathom and such with cold facets in everything, perhaps you could get higher if you use 6 sock weapons and the like with facets all over but that takes too many sacrifices imo.

5. keanu

keanu IncGamers Member

i agree on that, u could use allmost any item on ur char, to make u do more dmg, but u also gotta think defensive, and not give away the good items, so shako 4-evah :D

6. tl998

tl998 Banned

Lol you people make me sick! j/k

4-5 orbs? After I static meph to half health, it takes me about 20 orbs at least to kill him. God...you people abd your uber gear...you guys are spoiled!

7. Jell-O

Jell-O IncGamers Member

It depends mostly on how you aim the orbs, if you stand next to him and just shoot them through him they will do less damage than if you let it explode right on top of him.

It may take a little practice to quickly aim it right but it shouldn't take long before you figure out what the most effective distance between you and meph is :)

8. asdfghjkl

Jello got it spot on. Yes, the location and aiming of the orbs is very important. If I can get him into the sweet spot, he (Hell Meph) goes down in 3 orbs. Standing right next to him takes about 6-7 orbs.

And no, I don't have any uber gear. Unless Oculus and Harlequin Crest is considered uber.

9. keanu

keanu IncGamers Member

i just let my merc tank mephi, take a few steps back, and orb him..
    the only problem i ever get with a mephi run, is that it takes so darn long to find mephi :)

10. tl998

tl998 Banned

are you sure you're talking about HELL meph? I just don't see how you can kill him in 3 orbs. And i know I'm aiming my orbs correctly too. It really takes me at the very least 10 well aimed orbs after i static him to kill him.

11. asdfghjkl

Yes, this is Hell Mephisto and I run him in solo games. I don't kill him in 3 orbs every run. It's only when I can actually get him in the sweet spot, and that doesn't happen with every FO I launch at him. On average, its anywhere from 4 to 7 orbs to kill him (this is without static).

12. sasha

sasha IncGamers Member

Try a wand of lower res, my old mf sorc killed him in 3-4 orbs didnt even need to use static ...

NB Were talking 4p topaz armour, 3 ptopaz helm gear here :D