Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Orb Sorc (PvP)

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Phyrexian, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Phyrexian

Phyrexian IncGamers Member

Orb Sorc (PvP)

I've decided to make a Frozen Orb PvAll sorc, and as I am told, go str/dex for armor requirements and 160 energy, all rest into vita.

Current gear that I have:
    Helm: Tarn Helm/3-Pskull helm
    Neck: 10 FCR 18 pris 49 CR 9 min dmg
    Weapon: Spectral Shard
    Shield: 17/30/20 bone shield, 13% FR 20% CR/Wall of the Eyeless
    Armor: Silks/Gskin
    Ring1: 10 FCR 22 pris
    Ring2: 10 FCR 8 energy 22 life 23% CR
    Boots: 10 FHR 20-30 pris
    Gloves: Magefists/Frosties (I don't know which to use, what is the FCR break point for sorcs?)

Items that I need: 2x SoJ's, +2 10% FCR pris ammy, FHR 50+ life pris helmet, 17/30/20 17+ pris grim shield, 17/24% FHR 40+ life/10+ str 15%+ pris belt, 17/24% FHR 60+ life 20+ prismatic mage plate, 30 FRS 10% FHR 15+ pris boots.

Is that pretty much the best gear that a sorc could get for pvp?

Are there any rings that are better than SoJ's for PvAll?

Is there any way to boost my Orb damage? Overall on my MF sorc it seems very weak, I can orb a level 80 barb (20/20 orb, 15/20 CM, 13/20 icebolt) and have it only take away 20% of their life with a direct hit. I don't want to do blizzard because there is so much less utility and mobility with it. Would it be worth it to max out something in the fire or lightning tree for people with maxed CR? Or maybe just another ability in the cold tree? If so, what abilities?

I used to be a big zon-PvPer but I came back a couple weeks ago and found out that zons suck balls now. Big dissapointment, so I decided to make my class a sorc, and I need all the information about this kind of stuff that you guys can give me.

Ty for your time.

2. stevenluckymann

stevenluckymann IncGamers Member

i would max fo, ice bolt (synergy), and cold mastery. u may have a heart attack from only 2& increase but trust me the extra 200 dam from it is needed due to fo's low dam. i would make a mana helm 3 p saphs instead of ur options and a heavenly garb instead of silks/gs if u need the mana. go with fcr rings cause sojs are near impossible to trade for anymore in classic unless u hack. if u need mana frosties, otherwise fists. If I remember correctly then the breakpoints are 63& and 105% and 200&. Im sure ur shooting for one of those.

3. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

your 10fcr 22prism ring is worth 20sojs if it even exists o_O
    same goes for 30prism boots

"sojs are near impossible to trade for anymore in classic unless u hack"

I think this will be my signature..

4. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Indeed Fledgeling, and what about he pris belt and pris helm. Those would be interesting to see aswell. :)
    Since per res it's a prefix, 3 prefixes per rare, actual pris mod not possible on those items... It used to be possible to get 15 pris mod on rings. perhaps even higher pris. But the others... Not ever if my memory serves.
    Then again, I have not seen all items ever spawned. :)

In theory, a 22 pris ring might be possible on nl. He could trade it for a Scepter with Holy Shield. Those are about equally rare. The scepter maybe even more.

As for an Orb sorc, I am not a sorc dueler, but I think I would not use any energy. You could max orb, it's synergy and cold mastery and also max teleport. Then get yourself some res specific shields and see where you end up.
    or go for Iratha's, goldskin (heavy, but if you want res cheaply. 30 cold/fire res fhr life plate would offcourse be better, but also far more expensive), 3 sock pDiamond and 3 sock pSaph. some rezzy boots, might aswell get tearhaunch and hotspurs, rings are free choice(FC's would prolly be best). shard to finish up and you're set for some cheap thrills. Upgrade as you go along.
    personally I would probably wait until I have at least a descent low str armor and low str boots. Iratha's provides 25 dex, 65 res all, 10 to max all res.
    max tele means tele only costs 5 mana, so you can keep doing that all day long.
    Iratha's belt has 3 rows for mana potions so you don't have to put points into energy.
    If you get light enough gear, you will be able to go nearly all vit.
    I reitterate though, that I don't duel svsomething. The above setup is mainly just cheap and easy to get. You can collect gear as you go along and maybe rebuild your sorc some time when you have better gear for her.

5. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

blizz has less utility?

1400 spike/blast someone to slow them down (provided they aren't clagging and appearing right in front of you with a 9k hammer) then drop a 3k blizzard on their head.

if not very accurate with the spike/blast, I was considering putting 1 skill point into frozen orb just to give it that larger cooling/freezing/slowing down effect, then raining the blizzards.

this of course is all a moot point, 'cause so many people that specialize in duelling will keep spare gear in stash, to triple stack cold rez, and/or "can not be frozen" items such as deaths'/hawkmail/etc

I just found a hawkmail last night. it has me considering building a lld... which I've never really done...

6. WarlockCC

Hawkmail being level 15, what kind of lld are you considering ?
    perhaps a 2 civerbs double swinger ? Maybe a Iratha's/hawk Smiter ?
    Hawk isn't very usefull on a charger, since you allways charge at the same speed anyway. Or mebbe a low level hammerdin. Who might just have charge aswell, in which case the hawk doesn't really matter that much.
    On a Zealer, you would need cbf.
    Well, good luck with it, own some new players. :)

7. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

I haven't really given it much thought. I had assumed that the FRW of blinkbats (which hawkmail also has if I looked at it correctly) was why the blinkies were so desired for LLD's but I guess it might be the huge fhr on blinkbats that is more desirable.

regardless, I have found (and discarded) quite a few knouts that could have made a zealot lld fun. it's piqued my interest now and again, and I suppose I should just put a bit more thought into it, and start assembling gear.

8. WarlockCC

With a Knout's levelreq of 25, I doubt it would work for a lld. :)

Well, the 10frw on the hawkmail barely compensates for the slowdown caused by the armor because it's a heavy armor.
    Indeed a hawk's good points are the +max cold resist(not so important on a lld) and mainly the cbf.

For those interested in LLD, try a full Hsarus, it also gives cannot be frozen. You do have to wear the buckler aswell then. On the up side, the buckler does give 10 str.

9. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

see, one of the reasons I haven't ever built a LLD, is that I don't pay enough attention to the game/items I find. LOL I could have sworn said knout looking thing (perhaps a flail?) had decent mods, like ias and was a lvl 18 item that I had, but as previously mentioned discarded it. *sheepish grin*

I've watched a certain member here, take on people deep into their 30s with a piker/charger, using those blinkbats (and other mundane items) but it seems that most lld's are chargers.

one of my very first chars was a zealot, which is why it was intriguing to me, even if it's not viable. it can alway be another mule :p

10. CBK

CBK IncGamers Member

I made a similar Thread 2 weeks ago... After hard time, I got someone who really knows how to SvS in USEast to guide me.(Her name is Lunar, currently best SvS cold sorc east) There are only 2-3 PvA Orb ES sorcs on East but I really should say they are indeed contagious and annoying.

I made mine like this:
    Stats:
    base str
    base dex
    all to vit after energy
    150 BASE energy(180+ with gear)

Skills:(in same order you max them)
    20 FO
    20 CM
    20 IB
    20 Telekinesis
    rest to Warmth/ES

After this comes big question. Eww why not to teleport? Why? Easily, Teleport is a waste of points, and ES on the other hand is usefull. I have currently 600 mana, like 167% regen mana from gear/skills and basically with a 3x4 slot belt, I barely go to Akara. ES remember makes you Life taken go to your mana(a percent) so it really helps when a sorc gets LOT more mana than life per energy/vitality point. Actually this lunar which I previously talked of, made me notice I should have made the opposite(being 150 base vit, rest on energy) Because if you get you ES to certain level you can get up to something like her: SvS with 300 health, **% absorb ES and 2.3k mana, with 63 rep = never lose life. Yeah its incredible and very much she doesn't needs that mana pots either, cuze her regen...Argh, it sucks dueling her. So my advice, go on as I did or as Lunar went. Best of all, if you get 70fcr breakpoint, and you are carefull enough, you may never kill anyone for your orb, but they won't kill you either.
    Even Barbs with 300cr in total get to half health before they can ww me, after this they go say they are bored ^^, dins even though most people don't know it, orb brakes clag, so when they come clag your sexy face, orbs hits them and even with hawkmail you get to see them and run easily away, so they get bored too. for LR users like FoH's and FC's depends on your resist and how you duel, and the rest is just having fun slowly killing and annoying them on duels. But since I did this sorc, what I fear most, is a PvA Orb ES sorc + a FoH din in same group. It gets scary ~~.

11. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

Not quite, if a Smiter or WWer hit you with Open Wounds you may get in trouble with low life.
    Hmmm, now that i look into it, I'm pretty sure **% ES(lvl 33) is impossible in Classic, even with high pre-buffing. I think you're talking about expansion ...

12. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

tarn
    sojs x 2
    silk
    +2 ammy...
    battle command...
    skill shrine...
    +2, +3 es staff (do they truly double stack?)

not sure how all this would flesh out, but 33 seems a bit of a stretch regardless, and also assumes that all of those skills stack appropriately

I make mistakes frequently on what I have found, but last night was a glaring example of a noobish behaviour, when faced with overwhelming rejection of what he was asserting, he still sticking with his story, and not backing down...

claimed he had a shopped +4 bh sceptre... when prompted for "Was it +2 din skills, +2 bh?" he said, "No man, I'm not blind..."

:rolleyes:

13. Creon

Creon IncGamers Member

With all of the stuff mentioned, you would have level 34 ES (89%). 31 ES without the shrine and battle command. Level 34 ES lasts over 35 minutes, so needing to find a second shrine would rarely be an issue.

14. zaxien

zaxien IncGamers Member

I have never made a viable classic es sorc. For some reason they dont work as well as having 95%+ es on xpac, who would have thought. It may make a duel interesting until you get nailed with a few hits and are sitting there with no mana, cant tele, and die to a quill rat. But I am sure I'm not as knowledgeable as L-oser is when it comes to this since he is "best svs east" and all.
    -_-

15. Monzee

Monzee IncGamers Member

Oh don't you just LOVE players like those.. even as late as last night during a cs run a lvl 17 sorc started harassing me about my "bad" 195% martel claiming that he had 213% martel and that you could get WAAY better items than mine. Instantly I could tell that he was LOD :rolleyes: and when he challanged me to a duel later on in LOD I just accepted. (had a non-ladder lvl 98 barb just waiting to pwn his sorry low lvl dueler.) He brought lvl 81 hammerdin, and the rest of the story you can guess ^^

16. WarlockCC

In theory, one can gamble a +5 resist lightning War Scepter in classic, the odds of gambling a unique are very low though. :)

17. Akukami

Akukami IncGamers Member

Hmm...I've never seen one before, and it'd be interesting to just pick one up. :grin:

- Akukami

18. WarlockCC

I have no idea why they are so rare, but in my time of playing I think I have seen a drop with one twice. I still have one somewhere, I'll have to check, but mine is prolly a +3.