Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

orb sorc - Inside Cold Mastery

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Jedi, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Jedi

Jedi IncGamers Member

orb sorc - Inside Cold Mastery

hi,

i am playing an orb(max) sorc and my current cold mastery lvl is 17 for -100 resistance. 15 skillz to spend. unlikely that i get more-> thats why i ask here else i could max all skillz.

i remember i read about a cap of -100resi for monsters which would be the max with skill lvl 17. only monsters with positive resistance would experience a faster life loss when i would max that skill.

my question now is should i max coldmastery or the synergy to orb with the 15 left points?

i know in hell there are a few monsters which have positive resi and from which i would have a better effect with maxed CM compared to synergy.
    are there ALOT or just under avg?
    which would u suggest to use with the 15 points?

thx for input

regards
    Jedi

2. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Since you are going Cold only i guess you should put in CM.
    What i dont gather though is why you cant max both Synergy and Mastery.
    A fully synergized and mastered Orb only takes 64 points?!

Where did you spend everything else? Cold armor?
    Would just be curious about your skill-setup.

3. Jedi

Jedi IncGamers Member

i know it sounds strange not to be able to spend the points.
    my setup in hard skill points is:
    20 telekinese
    14 teleport
    20 orb
    11 coldmastery
    1frozen armor
    6warmth

and 15 saved at moment.
    i tried to make a very defensive sorc.
    pmed a link to a thread where i started this.

btw can u tell me why it is better to sue CM? the % to meet positive resi monster is higher than to have more listed damage?

regards
    Jedi

4. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Why max CM instead of synergy?
    Since you are single-tree you, i'd say that any extra in lowering resistances is worth more than raising your damage. With pure BLizzard you would definitly go full CM, but in your case you might better split it up.
    On another thought, if you split it up you'll end up with bad synergies.
    Difficult.

Question to ask. How are you at killing monsters in solo and 8-player games that have 0 resistances? Do they die fast enough? If yes, put it all in CM, and you are set. If no, pump those synergies. Those with higher CR might be a bit harder to crack then since they will absorb damage, but maybe you can live with that ;)

Did that help?

Concerning your build:
    Now i see why thats not possible.
    I dont mean to take this build apart but..

6 Warmth... not necessary... 1 would have been enough
    14 Teleport? Even with the lowered cost, or with +skills practically no cost this investment is not worth it imho, since even with basemana and just some +mana items you can live happily with a more expensive teleport.

That build you aim for is the FO/ES build, which looks more like this
    20 Telekinesis
    1 Energy Shield
    20 Ice Bolt
    20 FO
    20 CM

5. wind

wind IncGamers Member

With my FO/Meteor sorc I looked at it this way. The few that are + resistant to cold are some badass monsters.

Black Souls 33% resistant
    Death Lords same as above
    Lister and friends are 50% resistant
    And then there's Achmel the Cursed (at 66% resist) who if you don't kill fast enough will start raising "any" undead in the Throne Room. Very annoying when he starts raising Black Souls.

6. Jedi

Jedi IncGamers Member

hmm and what is your suggestion in my case then? do u think that those monsters are worth maxing coldmastery or go for the extra damage better?

i have base energy. i used warmth points when i felt it is necessary to not lose mana anymore. those +6 guarantee me a full purple in combat.
    for the teleport.. i build a mf sorc that should teleport blind to meph-baal-andy. after getting the gear togehter for maximum safety plus good mf% etc i faced the last problem-> the mana-burn boss monsters. maybe 10 points in tele would have been enough but the effect is good in my eyes. when i tele into a manaburner pack i still am able to teleport one chamebr further to set new ES-Mana and continue. it would be a lot harder if i wait until 20+mana is regenerated. its just a matter of seconds immo but enough time to miss the frame to teleport on and to get a critical hit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

thx for the input here.. guess i am 90% decided now :)

regards
    Jedi

7. wind

wind IncGamers Member

How much CM depends a lot on how many plus skills you'll have and where you spend most of your time playing.

You see with more plus skills, the boost CM gets will achieve the same - to cold resist as another sorc with less skills. That enables the player to invest more in FOs' synergy, especially useful when going duel tree.

I've left my CM at 17 invested points not because of -100 to monsters cold resistance, but with plus skills eventually it should be around -150 or more hopefully. But as it sits now (+6) all I need to do is cast just 1 FO anywhere near a Black Soul or two and they're toast. :drink: Very useful when you get the urge to see what Baal will drop. Other monsters with less resistance drop fairly quick too even without more damage.

8. Jedi

Jedi IncGamers Member

i didnt mention my plus skillz because i calculated with the numbers already.
    -100 % resi with plus.

i used my points and decided for -135%. i checked a few monster resi in hell mode.
    its most often zero, 33, 50 or cold immunity=100+
    i took the middle as u can see and spend the other for more damage which is actually a compromis.

33 and Zero resi monsters i cant lower more than 135% anyway so damage kicks in. for the 50 i gain the more damage mod.bit lower than the CM advantage but a good compromiss.

thx for help though. i got a bit infos from a friend too.

regards
    jedi