Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

orb socketing suggestions please

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by sirpoopsalot, May 27, 2005.

1. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

orb socketing suggestions please

I just found a sweet orb for my (eventual) Meteorb sorc (+3 Meteor, +2 FO, +26 life), that has two sockets, and i'm wondering what to put in. Any recommendations (FYI - I'm pretty poor ;))? Are there any runewords that would work in SP (it is not a magical item, so if there's an orb-friendly recipe, it should work - i think)?

The runewords thought brings up another question i've often wondered about. If you create a runeword in an elegible class-specific item, are the inherent bonuses preserved (before I discovered the greatness of ATMA, my necro found a normal 3s/+3 BO barb helm - like a fool, I sold it)?

thanks
    'poops

2. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

no runewords work, maybe some jewels depends on what you have, probably resistance jewels would be best for you

3. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

Resistance jewels or MagicFind jewels.

If you're pretty poor and don't even have those maybe...
    GoldFind jewels instead of MF jewels;
    +stat jewels instead of resist jewels;
    +mana jewels;
    +3mana per kill jewel or a Tir rune.

It shouldn't be long for you to find something better so don't worry too much.

4. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary IncGamers Member

+3 meteor +26 life isn't a very nice weapon for a sorc, at least not in long term, it can't be an end game weapon, for early stages it can be very helpful, but using up some nice jewels in a weapon that you're going to drop eventually isn't a good idea.

Other mods, like +all skills, faster cast rate, +resists, +mana or +to a skill tree is more desirable. You can easily get +meteor or even +skills in other part of your equipment, like amulets or even shields, so save your nice jewels/runes for other good equipment.

If you ever decide to do your sorc, send me your email, I can send you some nice orbs, shields and I think I have an spare skin of the vipermagi (best armor for a sorc IMHO)

5. PyroStock

A lot depends on the jewels available. I have several magicfind and resist jewels gathering dust now because I thought they were too nice to use at one time.

He could post what jewels he has if he's worried about wasting a real nice jewel (such as a +15AllResist jewel).

As mentioned, you cannot create a runeword in a rare orb, but your 3s/+3BO Barb helm would have retained the +3BO. There are no worthy runewords that work in grey orbs, except maybe Strength but that's a waste of an Amn IMO.

6. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

there are no orb rune words
    if going untwinked, it's an OK until you find something better, but a good rare will easily beat it
    runewords in class specific items will keep their inherant mods

7. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

uh.., i don't think wasting a nice jewel will be a problem. My 2 (current) best are probably an 8% res all, and a +%34 Demon damage - not exactly show stoppers :) - but you've got a good point about mothballs. If nothing better comes along i'll drop in the 8res. jewel for sure, and probably leave the other open.

@arreat_merc - thanks, I may take you up on that sometime. She'll be my next char, but currently I'm doing MF runs with my first char, who I want to push through hell before I get another too far along. Since I may come across good sorc gear along the MF way, save that gear for another worthy n00b if they come along before I get around to her.

8. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Under special circumstances, I would have used Strength if it had worked. It doesn´t. The only runeword that works in orbs is Venom.

9. PyroStock

That's why I said maybe. The runeword wizard says Strength works in orbs and Arreat Summit claims an orb is a weapon, but I didn't recall the earlier posts here about if it actually worked.

10. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

If you are lucky, get the red facets into the orb. +to mana to each kill, resistances, faster cast rate and the like are useful too