Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

optimal level for cold mastery in pvm?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by b2p, Mar 1, 2004.

1. b2p

b2p Banned

optimal level for cold mastery in pvm?

whats the best level skill point cost effectivewise since i dont have enough. at which level does it start to level off since resistance can never go into negatives now?

2. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

They can go into the negatives, are capped at -100% though for monsters as well as players. That'd be lvl17 CM assuming that the monster has 0% cold resistance, so lvl17 after +skill is generally considered the level to aim for if FO is used as a secondary spell.

3. Boddah_khan

Boddah_khan IncGamers Member

Get to level 17 Cold mastery. That's all you need to get to -100% cold resistance, and any extra points won't affect anything. Cheers!

Edit: Wow I'm slow. Same information as above...

4. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

That's a common misconception. For monsters with cold resistance greater than 0% CM above lvl17 will be effective. Actually the highest effective level of Cold Mastery would be 36, which would lower Diablo Clone's Cold resist from 95% to -100%

5. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

But if you are going dual tree then you probably won't have enough points to get to a high level CM (reasonable guess since the original poster says PvM). There are only about 1/3 to 1/4 of all monsters that have cold resistance, hence getting CM over slvl 17 have no effect on the rest of them. But of course, if you are single tree sorc then you would naturally want to max out CM for those odd cold resistance monsters/unique bosses.

6. wind

wind IncGamers Member

If the build goes FO as a main attack and it's synergies, it's a lot easier to achieve a high level CM. Since you won't be spending points in fire synergies. Otherwise the sorc will be relying on another elemental tree, which makes CM less important.

Just keep in mind that the "1/3 to 1/4 of all monsters that have cold resistance" are some of the more troublesome kind.

7. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

that leaves you with about 40 skills pts and what kind of effective attack can you make out of it?

usually FO is the secondary attack because it takes fewer skill pts to be effective even in hell

8. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

The only rule needing applied here:

If you go pure Cold-single-tree you will want to max CM, so that you get it to lvl32 with items +12 skills is possible.
    If you are using a dual build lvl17 will be enough with +skills since you can dispose of monster with +cold res with your secondary tree.

Singletree FO-Sorc works just fine with its synergies and CM maxed. A good Merc can take care of the rest, though ofcourse like any single-tree build it can get tedious....

9. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Ive tried both...

I made the lvl 17 CM and the max CM (lvl 32) meteorb sorcs. I personally like to cast orbs a lot more than meteors, so I prefer the max CM sorc - very deadly against all non-immune monsters. Also I wanted her to be the one ready for DClone if I ever meet him again (only fought him once with the lvl 17 CM sorc and it took a long time with help. damn that was fun, but he came to me around 11pm, and trying to sleep after that fight was hard :D)

10. wind

wind IncGamers Member

Meteor/FM just cut back a little on Ice Bolt, works very well especially with a good merc to land those meteors on.

11. b2p

b2p Banned

actually wasn't there something about 1.10 cold mastery in which it can never be negative? i read this on something about pvp. this is different from 1.09 since it can be negative.?