Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Opinions, most fun paladin build?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Vespar, May 7, 2008.

1. Vespar

Vespar IncGamers Member

Opinions, most fun paladin build?

I was just curious on which paladin builds people found most entertaining in PvM.

I hear that hammerdin is powerful, but really boring.

What about a charge build? I've heard useful for PvP, but would it be any good for PvM?

All opinions on the matter are welcome. Thank you.

2. 2TheMongoose

2TheMongoose IncGamers Member

Re: Opinions, most fun paladin build?

Charge is usually built for PvP, since attacking 1 monster at a time isn't the most effective way of doing things. I'm currently making a Dreaming Orbadin, or Riftauradin, or Teleorbadin. They are based on the Rift runeword that gives On attack chance to cast 21 Orb, which, combined with Conviction, provides a powerful AoE thats different then your normal Hdin. Dream runeword based Zealers are fun and effective too.

Chargadins run their mana bubble down far too fast in PvM, correct?

3. mynamesucks

mynamesucks IncGamers Member

I dont think the chargadins would run their mana bubble down if using insight though I'm not sure. Right now I'm making a vengeance pally for the most part using insight not sure how its gonna turn out though max prayer and cleansing and then 10 in vengeance and synergies to vengeance

4. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

Zealot is the most fun build in PvM and PvP imo:rolleyes:

5. crazygun

crazygun IncGamers Member

Agree.

My first char in D2 is a zealot. Anybody still remember the number of hits was not capped at 5 in the old days?:grin:

Any time when I was back to D2, I made at least one zealot.

6. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

So, you haven't tried a hammerdin yet? I don't find it really boring, people dislike it because they consider it overpowered, but if you haven't made one give it a try.

7. koeraokse

If you play hammerdin by doing quests and fighting yourself through the acts then its fun, but when u buy enigma and get rushed to hell act 5 then it sux hard, its nice char when u want to play untwinked or so, doesent depend on eq so much

8. litokrn

litokrn IncGamers Member

iono from personal experience but...auradins seem like they'd be fun
    i mean what pally hasnt dreamt of having like 6 of his auras on at once rite?
    now with the new runewords u get a chance...expensive but i mean if ur rich it seems like a really cool build
    the "best" auradins seem to be dual dreams or whatever iono but given how many runeword auras there are, they seem to be really customizeable...i wish i were rich enough to make one >.< lol...

9. Jednowlosy

Jednowlosy IncGamers Member

Dreamer zealot seems the most fun to me, but oblivions pwn him so hard it's almost sad, as you kill yourself with one swing, and there is so little you can do about it. So if you don't like dying every game due to IM, I don't recommend this char.

Auradins are cool, but their troubles with refilling their life annoys me to hell ;) Otherwise they are really powerful and can do many things, including ubers, they also don't kill themselves instantly when IMed.

Hammerdins are standard, but if you want a pure, relaxing ownage, hammerdin is your man.

10. crosser

crosser IncGamers Member

I strongly disagree with Jednowlosy (bez urazy stary :p). Dreamers (generally pallys concentrating on elemental dmg) are nigh invulerable to IM if played with a certain caution. the only thing you need to do when you face folks using it is hit your weapon switch, where you keep your low physical, high magical dmg wand (yes, WAND. phys dmg 2-4, blue ones can have high ligtning dmg). Idea is simple: IM returns physical dmg ONLY. so when you use a wand and turn off dmg-enhancing auras (some people dont use them anyway and prefer conviction or holy freeze... then it's really a piece of cake) you take nearly no damage at all (compared to the amount of life a meele char has). Of course it takes some time to bring them down that way, but you definitely don't have to worry about oblivions, which are not all that common anyway... and redemption should solve any problems with life/mana for auradins

back to the topic :) I've played most of the meele pvm builds and i find the wide array of zealot sub-classes a nevernding source of fun. chargeadin is also viable option in pvm, but it takes a lot of concentration and specific tactic to be efficient, and you are not goin to be quite as effective as zealot anyway. smiters are killers, but not so enjoyable IMO (and not very good in crowd control department, correct me if I'm wrong). avenger (vengeance/conviction combo) is perfect for teamplay - even if your pally himself ain't that strong, your teammates gonna love you (especially elemental casters). hammerdin... well, nothing new here - he is overpowered and he IS cheap (I mean, fishy-like :p). and not that great if you can't afford enigma (many legit players can't... if you play for fun you aren't that keen on thousands of mf and rf runs) and generally good caster stuff. it is possible to run around with spirit, peasants crown and stuff like that, but you won't "own" at all and since you can do better with relatively cheap meele pally (if you have some way of dealing with immunes... e.g. team mates) I find untwinked hammerdins to miss the point.

yeah, but now to the main dish: zealots. plenty of options, auras combinations, equipment choices. you can go for tesladin (holy shock), you can go holy freeze (holy fire HIGHLY discouraged), pure meele fanatic mowing through the foes at stunning 4fps, or you can use some powerful runewords (say dual dream + crescent moon phaseblade and conv/freeze of your own) to create a riddiculously powerful killing machine. oh, and dont forget you mercenary... if you have loads of cash, it's not all that hard to run around with 4 or 5 auras active non-stop, breaking all the opposition. but if you play untwinked it is also possible to do well with relatively cheap and affordable equipment. check it our yourself :)

in a nutshell:
    1. zealots (especially elemental-oriented) for the all-around fun
    2. avengers for their great usefulness in any given team
    3. chargers if you'd like to try something more challenging than the usual "click till it dies" tactic ;)

11. koeraokse

I totally disagree with you here

I had a dreamer zealot, you dmg is insane and u kill everything easily, when u go to cs just use low dmg wep like cresent moon made in normal wep or just run around, u can kill them just running around and using ur pulse dmg with conviction, my paladin didnt have a problem with life leeching either. If I remember correctly I used cresent moon in elite weapon and I didnt die with IM, there are gloves called draculs too u know and ofcourse u have 2k+ life...

-Priit

12. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

if you are rich enough try the whateverdin (see stickies) and you will have no worries about IM

13. Jednowlosy

koeraokse: try proof reading next time, I'm tired of explaining my posts every time. auradin =/= dreamer zealot. Auradin = dragon+hand of justice+dual dream. The life refilling concerns auradins, not dreamer zealots.

Killing oblivions with pulse damage takes ages, especially on uber izual's level, and it's like 100% certain that you will lose merc while doing so, cause within those 15 seconds needed to fry an oblivion he can cast like 3 different curses, there is high probability one of them will be IM, which will kill your merc instantly.

and fana>conviction since you can get conviction from your merc (4 fpa is more useful than -70% resistance you'd get from using conviction urself).

Low damage weapon doesn't help in my build, I die anyway. I don't use a single aura guy with low physical dam, I go for high physical damage + dual dream as addition, so IM kills me instantly. Besides, I have no room for extra weapon, I need cta on switch and my cube is to carry stuff I find, not to carry extra weapons tt

14. koeraokse

well...

first, I never said anything about auradins, you talk about dreamer zealot and so do I.

second, I was talking about CS, not Uber trist, uber trist is a whole different song (since this thread is about fun build not a good char for ubertrist/cs runs) ofcourse when I would go into uber trist I would change my equip.

Third, I used no merc, so I used conviction, and that pulse dmg kills faster than u think, btw we arent looking for a cookiecutter hammerdins here, this is a fun build I have to say again

Fourth, that low dmg weapon was only an idea for CS.

Also I am not telling you do make like I am saying, I just disagreed with you.

It seems that only a cookiecutter hammerdins and other boring builds are good enough for you and you only took the parts from my text that you could say something about and ignored that fact why I said it first place.

Also there is much longer post before me explaining u everything more clearly.. If u ignore thing that u dont like or when ur wrong then please dont argue

-Priit

15. Jednowlosy

Proof reading, man. Do I have to quote myself?

No, I didn't speak about auradins. Nope. Never. :rolleyes: You never said anything about auradins? Yes, but you refer to my statement about auradins in

Did I say dreamer has life leeching problems? Read again. Carefully ;)

Another guy that thinks I never played this game and that I do not have eyes on my own. Geez. Yes, for your information, I know how fast pulse aura kills. And it takes long enough for your merc to die. If you don't use merc, it's a different story. I do. And I hate reviving him all the time.

It seems you like to imply things that are not true. Many builds are good for me. Where the heck I said only hammers rule? Try not to "guess" what I am thinking next time. Just ask. If you want to know, I dislike cookie cutters. Yet they are relaxing to play.. from time to time..

Nice advice, I'd try applying it to myself first before giving it if I were you.

crosser, none off taken. :) But there are two things that slow auradins' redemption down, their naturally low skill levels (you'd have to put a lot of points in redemption to make it effective, which feels like a waste) and hand of justice, which, thanks to freezing attack, shatters a lot of enemies, greatly decreasing the ammount of corpses. It's still the only way. Btw, I have cta as switch weapon, as most of the guys out there. Drawing a wand from my cube, swapping weapons, attacking and swapping again is.. well.. annoying. Certainly not something that makes the game fun.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  16. koeraokse

Again u take only half of what I said, I was more talking about the IM, and thats what u said about dreamer, oh my god

17. Dorfoumous

Dorfoumous IncGamers Member

Smiters and FoH'ers are always fun and kind of a challenge.

18. Jednowlosy

You don't want me to comment every of your word, do you? :azn: I only comment what's vital.

With my dreamer build what I said is true. Never mind man, peace :flowers:

19. crosser

crosser IncGamers Member

um, pardon me, but are we talking about the same character? naturally low skill lvl? I mean, I thought that we were discussing guys that are using their aura dmg in the first place and THEN physical dmg... and who need high slvl to be ffective anyway, even while not usind redemption at all... well, I guess that it depends on the particular build, but still I see no reason why auradin would have "naturally low skill lvl"...

as for redemption's effectivness, pumping skill points into it changes 2 things: how fast is a corpse redeemed (as it HAS TO become redeemed sooner or later, just a matter of how many "ticks" of the aura it takes) and how many life/mana one corpse restores. the difference between slvl 6 (something I honestly think anyone can achieve with just 1 "hard" point invested) and, say, 16 is... 50 points. not very impressive for 10 skillpoints IMO. well, allright - it definitely makes things faster, but between number of bodies on the ground at any given moment, you armor, shield, resistances and high HP you REALLY shouldn't be in a constant need for refilling anyway... and when things go south all of a sudden, it really doesn't hurt to suck on a purple ocassionally.

the Hand of Justice point is right... if you ever happen to use it. please note that in my first post I discouraged using holy fire. that's because it cannot offer neither high damage (light) nor chilling effect (cold), and virtually any monster in the game (save for Andy as the only notable exception) has really high fire res. but I would't like to go into the details here because it IS very specific and depends a lot on your equipment choices. I can only say that while I was using holy freeze as my main aura I still didn't have any trouble in finding enough bodies to refill my orbs when needed.

switching weapons: well, the wand was only an example as it has the greates potential (as mentioned before: mediocre phys dmg and potentially very nice elemental bonus), but many other weapons will get the trick done as well... and if you state that call to arms is SO common... well, I gonna disagree again. sure a lot of people carry it and even more would like to, but mal-ist-ohm arent exactly what I call cheap for support gear of minor significance. yes, you read that right - CTA is surealy useful, but you can do very well without it. I know it may sound crazy, but this game really worked before everyone could tele around and change into animorph of his/her choice... pardon the sarcasm but we're talking about FUN and it is perfectly possible to have fun without uber gear (and please don't try to make me believe that CTA, ENI and other stuff like that is essential for any build. they are not. for most builds its only icing and somethings that allows you to amaze newbies).

one more thing: the question was about the most fun build to play, not the most efficient build that kills everything. most people can have fun without owning uber tristram, diablo clone and the hell ancients alike... it's simply effort-and-cost to fun ratio for me and therefore I'm not going to go as far as to discuss whether changing CoA to Andy's visage is going to totally screw you up or not. have a nice day ^^

P.S. and guys, please stop flaming. don't make it all personal.

20. Jednowlosy

What I meant by "naturally low slvl" is that he doesn't have many items that give + all skills or at least + pala skills, meaning 1 point in redemption will result in lvl 7 redemption, while a hammerdin would have lvl 18 redemption.

Well, the "classic" auradin uses holy fire, and when I was playing it, i shattered almost every monster. It was quite painful in the end :D

I agree that you don't need uber stuff for a fun character, but I find it not very fun when you get killed repeatedly by some stupid oblivion knight casting IM the moment you took a swing.. Also I don't find it funny when a couple of bone fetish guys kills you because you failed your block check three times on amp damage. CTA helps in such cases. It's not the "uber leet gosu" stuff.. I'd say things like CTA are not optional, but required. As for the price factor, well, I am rich on bnet, so I don't care that much for the price ;)

I also agree that it was about most fun build, but since the builds that give me most joy are those that obliterate the whole crowd of monsters in 2 seconds.. uhh, forgive me, I'm a power gamer, you know :laugh:

There are many cheap and efficient chars, though, that satisfy my battle hunger, like, say, trapsin. Not too "gozu" yet very fun and FAST as hell in killing.

cheers.