Opinion on Auction House type system

DeckardPain

Diabloii.Net Member
Opinion on Auction House type system

I know they have talked about doing something like this before and I'd like to see something along the lines of an auction house. Im sure some of you have played WoW (I know the worst game ever) but being Diablo kid growing up, and only playing a month or two of wow,the one thing i thought was great was the auction house. If gold is actually worth something in D3 instead of wasting your time spamming in channels or joining trade games with a few people who probably don't want or need what you have you can spend time playing the game. If you only have an hour to play each day i don't want to waste 30 min trying to sell or buy items.

I think a good idea would be sort of a Classified ad type system where if you have something you want to sell you can post the item on a list and while your online it will be displayed and anybody interested will have a direct way to message you and can meet in game. This way it still has that real trading feel which i think the wow auction house lacks.

What does everyone else think about the trading system. Keep it like it was in D2? or do something different

Adree

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Opinion on Auction House type system

They have discussed that system briefly and vaguely. I think the end goal is to have a place to buy/sell/trade D3 items with ease and security. I'm curious how they'll create it, but I would definitely expect to see some kind of formal auction house/trading system. And I think that as long as they implement SOMETHING of that nature, it's going to be far superior than D2 trading.

DeckardPain

Diabloii.Net Member

Ah good to know they're seriously thinking about it. I agree i don't care what system they decide on just something.

Glass

Diabloii.Net Member

Keep it like it was in D2? or do something different
Jay Wilson has said:

we want a better trading system than the one in Diablo II

So no, it won't be staying like D2.

I like Bashiok's take on it:

I think trade channels usually suck because of the requirement to spam. The amount of time and effort spent just to get your items noticed borders on brain-explosiony.

TheMythe

Diablo: IncGamers Member

How about a serverside game controlled 24/7 by B.net itself. People can log on/off and go to various merchant who'll put their items for sale. At one point the item gets sold and X gp is deposited in your inventory and the item is gone.
PROS:
1) You won't sell crappy items because your inventory will be full of crap.
2) You don't have to waste time shopping/waiting for items.
3) No channelspam.
4) Reduced lag overall.
5) No duping/hacked items possible because you are facing B.net directly.

Glass

Diabloii.Net Member

How about a serverside game controlled 24/7 by B.net itself. People can log on/off and go to various merchant who'll put their items for sale. At one point the item gets sold and X gp is deposited in your inventory and the item is gone.
PROS:
1) You won't sell crappy items because your inventory will be full of crap.
2) You don't have to waste time shopping/waiting for items.
3) No channelspam.
4) Reduced lag overall.
5) No duping/hacked items possible because you are facing B.net directly.
Jay Wilson said:

it could take the form of an auction house or it could take the form of a new trade system that is easier, facilitating trades through Battle.net. That could be another way that players could trade items without having to actually go into the game.

That was at Blizzcon last year, when they hadn't "made a decision on any of that". I reckon a year is enough time to make a decision on it, so hopefully in 2 weeks we'll have an answer :thumbup:

TheMythe

Than why not put up a flag system. You can flag your item X for price Y and it will be posted into an item channel (each gearslot has his own channel).

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

Diabloii.Net Member

I think AH's will be both good and bad.

The only way they make it work, is if they make gold the common currency.

At this point, it doesn't sing to me. But, we'll see how it ends up.

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member

Than why not put up a flag system. You can flag your item X for price Y and it will be posted into an item channel (each gearslot has his own channel).
How is this functionally any different from an Auction House? It does the same thing. Just sounds more confusing.

TheMythe

How is this functionally any different from an Auction House? It does the same thing. Just sounds more confusing.
It's actually more simple. If you are in a game and have an item you want to sell, you rightclick on it (or hotkey) for the flag dialogbox. It will put item X automagically in itemchannel (gearslot) and gives you the dialog for saleprice. You fill in the saleprice and you click 'OK'. Than you GAME ON!

If players want to go shopping instead of playing, the login to the 24/7 B.net (gearslot) channel and browse through the items that are for sale.

Good point are:
1) Gold is the only currency.
2) If you put the sellingprice too high noone will buy from you, so it will regulate prices to stay in normal price-amounts.

Glass

Diabloii.Net Member

Given that they've managed it in WoW, and the amount of times Bashiok has talked about fixing Diablo 2's economy failures on the forums I can't see how they could possibly screw it up.

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member

It's actually more simple. If you are in a game and have an item you want to sell, you rightclick on it (or hotkey) for the flag dialogbox. It will put item X automagically in itemchannel (gearslot) and gives you the dialog for saleprice. You fill in the saleprice and you click 'OK'. Than you GAME ON!

If players want to go shopping instead of playing, the login to the 24/7 B.net (gearslot) channel and browse through the items that are for sale.

Good point are:
1) Gold is the only currency.
2) If you put the sellingprice too high noone will buy from you, so it will regulate prices to stay in normal price-amounts.
This is exactly what an auction house does. It's just more confusing because you're decoupling it from the physical idea of an auction house.

blackbisket

Diabloii.Net Member

The WIW AH was great for trading cause u just put it up and moved on' I see no down side at all since gold seem like it will be a bigger deal in D3.

MLVII

Diabloii.Net Member

An auction-house is a double-edged sword and depends on other factors economical factors as well.

Seeing DIII's crafting system, I'm in for an auction-house; specially when it comes down to buying and selling crafting materials. Although I'm careful with my enthusiasm towards this idea because of the said implemented crafting system.

Whether or not the AH will be able to regulate prices to normal standards depends on a lot of other factors as well. Below some things to think about :scratchchin:

The droprate of crafting materials & amount of crafting materials needed for 'decent' gear

If the droprate for crafting materials is to low, then in no time, you'll have a problem of high inflation if the crafted gear is any good. 'Farmers' of online goldselling companies will invade the game and having learned from previous games; unpatient players will gladly make use of their services, while the farmers either hog the materials or flood the AH with them.

Most players that have any experience with high-lvl crafting in other games, know that high-lvl crafts are requiring insane amounts of materials; time and monies.

I hope Blizzard won't go this way because this is something typical for an MMO and in my eyes DIII should avoid any MMO influences as much as possible.

The importance of crafted gear VS dropped gear

If crafted gear; no matter what 'tier' sucks VS dropped gear by example from bosses; people in the end will do no effort to craft anyting except besides starting gear and off course their are always some exceptions :p

I'm curious how Blizzard will handle this. In to many games with crafting systems I've noticed that by the time you're able to craft something decent, you are either already way above that the required lvl and the gear you've managed to gather from drops is way better then the crafted gear.

I'm excited to see how end game crafted gear will be VS the top gear that will only be available by players through drops from mobs and how Blizzard will tackle this problem.

Gold currency

The importance of Gold as currency in the game. What will you be able to do with it in the end? In MMO's mostly you keep enchanting your gear (trial and error) or you're saving up for some pet or only god knows whatnot. Goldsinks are needed in every stage of the game to prevent inflation.

I'm open for new things in DIII but on the other hand I'm against turning DIII into some kind of semi-mmo but and stick true to it's roots which is easy lvling, item hunting by killing. Diablo isn't a game in my eyes where you need to spend hours at the AH to make a coin or invest hours and hours to craft some new piece of gear before you can go out again into the killing fields.

So yeah Blizzard. Surprise us.

The ball is in your camp :thumbup:

(time to sleep now :wave:)

Toetag

Diabloii.Net Member

I think AH's will be both good and bad.

EXACTLY!!!! Thank you! Someone finally agrees with me. Make currency the currency of the realm. Dont make it meaningless. No more X amount of SOJ's for ItemX. I hated that.

IMO, trading breeds duping. Now, I understand that we've come a ways in security in the last 10 years, but where there's a will there's a way. And, yes, if you get rid of that, then there will be gold farmers. I know. But it's a lesser of two evils thing.

TOE

Toetag

Diabloii.Net Member

I hope Blizzard won't go this way because this is something typical for an MMO and in my eyes DIII should avoid any MMO influences as much as possible.

Good post, however, I have to disagree with this slightly. WoW (and I think that's the MMO we should be comparing to) is a very successful game. Yes, it's an MMO. D3 is not. It should definately steer clear of certain MMO characteristics, true, but certain other things in that game are tried and true and I think would fit very nicely into D3, such as a mail system and a AH.

Stash size, non-tetris inventory, abilities instead of pots on the belt. These things are taken from pages right from WoW's script. And you know something...it's going to make our game better.

TOE

Dahmer

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm open for new things in DIII but on the other hand I'm against turning DIII into some kind of semi-mmo but and stick true to it's roots which is easy lvling, item hunting by killing. Diablo isn't a game in my eyes where you need to spend hours at the AH to make a coin or invest hours and hours to craft some new piece of gear before you can go out again into the killing fields.

So yeah Blizzard. Surprise us.

The ball is in your camp :thumbup:

(time to sleep now :wave:)
Something tells me you're not a serious/hardcore D2 player if you have no problem saying Diablo is not a game to spend hours trading...

If you ask me adding an auction house to Diablo will make us spend LESS time trading resulting in more time spent in the killing fields.

@TOE :
Learn how to edit and quote...please.

Glass

Diabloii.Net Member

IMO, trading breeds duping. Now, I understand that we've come a ways in security in the last 10 years, but where there's a will there's a way.
No. Incompetent developers breed duping.

Monster

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't see why people are so against the AH system. It works really well.

Maybe the people who are so against it haven't used it? To this I say: Give it a try! Go download the WoW free trial for the sole purpose of investigating a really good AH system.

Maybe there are people who don't want it in Diablo, because it's in WoW? To this I say: Grow up!

Finally, I'd like to add: How do you think they're going to force a gold driven economy on us without the use of an MMO style AH system?

itisquitesimple

Diabloii.Net Member

The importance of crafted gear VS dropped gear

If crafted gear; no matter what 'tier' sucks VS dropped gear by example from bosses; people in the end will do no effort to craft anyting except besides starting gear and off course their are always some exceptions :p

I'm curious how Blizzard will handle this. In to many games with crafting systems I've noticed that by the time you're able to craft something decent, you are either already way above that the required lvl and the gear you've managed to gather from drops is way better then the crafted gear.

I'm excited to see how end game crafted gear will be VS the top gear that will only be available by players through drops from mobs and how Blizzard will tackle this problem.
They have mentioned a couple times around when crafting was revealed that they want to have it so that one type of item doesn't dominate the top tier. So like maybe the best shield can only be found while crafting gives you the possibility(through random affixes) to get the best helm, etc