Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Open bnet/Multiplayer "singleplayer"

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Smorter, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Smorter

Smorter IncGamers Member

Open bnet/Multiplayer "singleplayer"

I ventured on Closed Bnet the other day and experienced the thrill of adventuring with parties.

I still enjoy Single player but would like to experience some multiplayer action with my SP characters as an occasional special treat. I tried open bnet, the only problem is theres like 4 games on Open battlenet and for some reason I can't join any either. I assume people must be discouraged by all the hacking, and it also looks really dodgy.

I was wondering if this forum facilitates adventures single player people play with our single player characters on open battlenet (on an occasional basis). I looked at the tournament section, but that seemed to be more about item runs by yourself

2. Tigereye

Tigereye IncGamers Member

Look in the stickies, the thread Monthly Multi-player Thread is number 3 from the top and is probally the place to look.

3. Smorter

Smorter IncGamers Member

Sorry I feel so stupid

I would delete this thread but I feel my stupidity needs to be disclosed lol

4. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

Just a small warning:

If you joined games on open BNet chances are big you have modded / hacked items.

People here don't like these with Trading / MP games here.

Randall

5. Smorter

Smorter IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice

I couldn't actually join any games for some reason there was a "cannot join game" message, and all the game names were weird like "sfarfasfasfsafafsafa"

It was more of an experiment just to see what it was like, I'd heard all sorts of horror stories about people hacking you and stealing your items and corrupting your save files (so I used my sister's computer :)) No way I want my characters that I've worked hard to build destroyed by hackers and stuff so I created some new cannon fodder.

I guess trading for me isn't an issue cause I'm overly sentimental and like to keep all my items anyway. I'm trying to go for the grail without trading though it'll probably take me a few years. (almost got all D2C uniques/sets so far)

thanks for the warning :)

6. Smorter

Smorter IncGamers Member

I was looking at the Multiplayer thread and was wondering, if you join games that use that RRM/RRVM or something mods, does that change the integrity of your own game/save files (besides damaging your trading reputation etc.)? (i.e. any "technical" changes to your diablo 2 program and/or save files)

7. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

Not unless you get/make ladder only runewords, and really not even then. You'd
    end up with an item you couldn't normally get, but it wouldn't affect anything else.

You (that char and everything he/she touches afterwards) would be 'tainted', but
    that's what you meant by reputation, I guess.

8. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

I presume you mean RRM / RWM (Red Rune Mod / Rune Word Mod)

Nope, these are 100% compatible with "vanille".

9. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Compatible yes as in they can both join the same game. However as stated before that "taints" the vanilla character so they are no longer considered vanilla anymore. Best to join games that have the same Mods (or lack thereof) to avoid this problem/confusion.

10. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I just thought I would clear up the real life implications of mod "taint."

-It has no effect on your save file.
    -Once you join a modded game, then you may not join Vanilla games with that character or any characters that got items from that character. (The game itself doesn't stop this, so we rely on everyone to be aware of their mods status when MPin and trading. You can have a RRM/RWM status and not have any mods installed at all. It's just a trading/MP classification used by our forum.)