Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Online games & the future

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Throttle, May 13, 2005.

1. Throttle

Throttle IncGamers Member

Online games & the future

The other day I came to wonder what will happen to the various online games in the future. Especially the ones with monthly fees, such as Everquest, DAoC, WoW etc. - Will these games still exist in, say, 10 years? Do you think anything similar to the internet will "evolve", replacing the WWW as we know it? Games like Ultima Online are still running even though they are like 10 years old, and it would seem odd to me if they just shut down games that people had been loyally paying their monthly fees for, for years. Obviously, new online games will arrive, some of which will be unsuccesful (SWG anyone?) and some of which will steal alot of people from the older games, but do you think they will ever just shut down the servers of some of the larger online games? Everquest has been around for what, 5-6 years, and is still rather popular but do you think it will still be running in year 2020? It really got me wondering.

2. VaN_haMMerSteIn

VaN_haMMerSteIn IncGamers Member

When it costs more money for them to pay for their servers then what they bring in from monthly fees... that's when it's shut down...

3. Echod16

Echod16 IncGamers Member

WoW may die

EQ may die

Starcraft will live

4. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

Eventually were going to want to do something that exceeds the limitations of what we've got now. And then something new and fandangally (is that spelt right?) will come along.

Probably when you end up with these pay per month games not earning enough, you end up with individuals buying the rights to run servers, and mini-communities of old school game players paying a fortune to still play their favourite game of all time.

Less than a year old, already I've managed to describe WoW using old school, excellent...

5. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

all internet should be wireless

like when someone says wires, someone else should say wtf

6. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

I think the future of online games depends more on what genre your talking about. I don't think that either RPG's or MMO's have yet to have the Quake moment that FPS have. Where as the FPS genre has already hit the peak of its power, and new games are more a variation on a theme (better graphics, more refined controls, bigger environments), than ground breaking in anyway.

Eventually someones going to release an online game that blows the world away, and then who knows. Of course this is just my opinion, you may already have been WoWed (poor pun really, but I couldn't resist) by an MMO or RPG online, what can I say, I'm a cynic...