Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

One playthrough, which game D1/D2/D3 and why?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Vang, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Vang

Vang Diabloii.Net Member

You get one final play through of the game. Which and why? Feel free to list all three as well and the reasoning behind the placement on each.

1. Diablo 1, Warrior
    2. Diablo 3, Crusader
    3. Diablo 2, Assassin

I picked Diablo 1 as I still do an annual pass on it. I simply love the way the game plays and the thrill and heart pounding catacombs if spitdogs arrive to smash my face and I'm unable to do anything about it. The warrior just simply is amazing in that game to me and short of it being upgraded to newer specs to play easily I might play it more often. Hell I still remember my first weapon I killed Diablo with some 18 yearish ago: Meteoric Large Axe of something, ok I forget the last part but it was awesome.

I picked the Crusader as I feel without a doubt that class has the ability to be a revamped warrior and the feel very close if your going a melee route with shield bash and the like. Except AOE everything, compared to single target walk a hell witch in a specific pattern in order to whack her dead.

Last and night least is Diablo 2, Assassin. I love her attacks. She does everything I want to do right early on. She is fast and furious, has summon help and can do a variety of things with some mean claw attacks.

Thats my take on the little question I posed, look forward to reading other people's thoughts on it.

2. Cyrax

Cyrax Diabloii.Net Member

Wait, this is about which char to play through each D1, 2 and 3 if you could play it once? Reading the title i thought you meant i would get 1 playthrough and had to choose between playing D1, 2 and 3.

In case of the latter, D3: no. Never played it to start with because i don't find it appealing. A bit torn between D2 and D1. I really, really liked the atmosphere of D1, but if you get only one playthrough i think D2 (LoD) would take longer to play through. Still, i think i'd go with D1 in that case. As you also mentioned the thrill and sheer terror when playing through were (and still are) unsurpassed imo.

3. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

D1: Ironman run with a bowless Rogue. I love this challenge, and I do a lot of these runs. It's so fascinating, you always get lucky with some things and unlucky with other things. Choosing what (and when) to ID is a major challenge, durability issues is another. Keeping track of shrines for later use, etc. I like the rogue as a meleer/magic user because the challenge level to get through Normal in an Ironman run is "just right", really hard but not impossible. I am succesful about 5% of the time. Furthest I've reached is DL 13 (early Hell) in Nightmare difficulty.
    (Warrior is slightly 'better' at it, though, but I think he's less fun to play because he is worse with magic and the durability challenge almost goes out the window. A Rogue that can use bows is probably even a bit better than the Warrior at this challenge. Sorcerer seems impossible. Furthest I've reached with him is dungeon level 10 (almost halfway through the lava caves)).

D2: I'd play my favourite build, Assassin, Phoenix Striker, going with the rule set of the Envious of the Green and Gold tournament (untwinked, single-pass, only green/gold items allowed (non-magical items allowed in a slot until the first green/gold for that slot drops), sockets can only be filled with emeralds, topazes and jewels with green/yellow graphic).

D3: Have not played it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  4. Nightfish

Nightfish Diabloii.Net Member

Diablo 1: Monk.
    Hum, actually reading this thread made me realise I actually need to play Diablo 1 again. Okay, you win, as soon as I find my Diablo and Hellfire CDs I'm going in. Wish me luck.

I remember really liking the monk for some reason. Couldn't he attack multiple enemies at once if he was using a staff? There was something along those lines if I remember correctly.

Diablo 2: Cannot pick.
    I actually cannot decide on this. There are way too many builds I love playing. From my patented necromancer to all the characters I used the ribcracker on, to various amazons (Fend with Kelpie Snare, FA/LF/CS) and then all the other oddballs I had a good time with, such as the Dual Fleshripper Whirlwindbarb or the Dual Vile Husk Frenzybarb... Or just the plain old Meteorb sorc... Or a FA/CL Sorc.

I fully intend to at some point get back to D2 and play all my favorite builds again... All 17-ish...

Diablo 3: 1/10 would not play again.

Not too long ago I was so bored that I actually went and picked this one up. People were giving it glowing recommendations after what they called "Loot 2.0" or whatever and the auction house was removed. At this point my assumption is that the glow was radiation and their brains had melted or something.
    Either way, to me, this game is horrible. There's no choices to make, the graphical effects are overdone to a point where even when I play solo it's hard to see what's going on. The best I can say about it is that the cutscenes are nice. Although once characters start talking and trying to explain the "story" even those lose me.

GooberGrape and SunsetVista like this.
  5. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

It's in Hellfire (the unofficial expansion). Monk with a staff, Barbarian with an axe and Bard with two swords will do an additonal 1/4 damage on the two squares next to the one you attack.

6. Vang

Vang Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah its listed as your choice, but I I figured some and myself would like to list in order and why. I'd play D1 before the others if it was my last time to playthrough. If Diablo 1 somehow was unavailable I'd got to #2, and then #3. If Hell froze over and none was available, I think the end is near.

Yep. He also got bonuses based on his lack of armor as well. Very fun class. Basically took a Holy or Godly Full plate of Whale to make him use a full plate over light armor (I am not sure if Godly was spawnable in HF, but I know HFPotW was)

I find it a bit funny, we have four votes and all are Diablo 1 so far. Its funny how a 18 year old game has many memories attached to it.

7. Nightfish

Nightfish Diabloii.Net Member

Yea, I knew it was from hellfire, but I was not aware this was an unofficial expansion. I knew it wasn't made by blizzard... Wasn't it sierra that did this? As I am typing this, I realise I could easily look all of this up on wikipedia but I like remembering things better than I like looking things up. Because one is more work than the other and if I run out of remember I can just make things up.

Also, I just really like eastern monks. Funny enough, didn't try one in D3 because after playing the game once on a crusader, I just could not take any more of it. That I took as much as I did marks me as a glutton for punishment in my book already...

Really, really wish there were a few decent asian themed arpgs or just plain rpgs out there. (Oh Jade Empire, I love you so. Where are your sequels and spin offs? :()

Well, I just went chronologically and listed my choice for each game. If I could only play D2 or D1, I'd definetly play D2 again. It's just that in D2, there are so *many* fun builds that I simply cannot pick only one.

The only thing I'm really sure about is that I am *not* going to play D3 again if I can only play one game again.

8. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

I don't have a lot of experience with D1 or D3, I just wanted to state how glad I am that Nightfish is posting in the SPF again ^_^

D2: If you allow lots of extra runs instead of just single pass, then Blizz sorc for sure. She's by far the most fun to do Meph/Pindle/AT/LK for me. I enjoy having blatant strengths and weaknesses, much more exciting than a well rounded character. EDIT: although I might find a way to fit 20 Static Field on her just because I feel like trying it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  9. thefranklin

thefranklin Diabloii.Net Member

D2 with a necro. It is so much fun controlling monsters, minions, and using the right curse in the right situation because all of them are useful.

D3 is a horrible game to play through from start to finish. It does have playability at max level optimizing each classes builds, but that is not something you can even think about enjoying starting from lvl 1. You don't even have the stash space for fun twinking weapons :(. And even then most good mods are restricted until you get above level 50. So many lame design decisions...

10. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

I think I would play hellfire again, Played it the least and don't remember it that well.
    I don't really play now .

11. UntwinkedPatriarch

UntwinkedPatriarch Diabloii.Net Member

Actually, Blizz and/or Sierra developers messed that part up. The enemies on adjacent squares were supposed to take only 1/4 dmg but in actually game play, they took the full damage. As a result, the three new Hellfire characters really made the original Warrior pointless. But besides that glaring bug, I found Hellfire to be quite enjoyable.

As for the poll:

D2/LOD: Untwinked HC - Necromancer (Max: SM, RS, RSM, CE. 1 pt wonders: Revive, Curses, etc...)
    • He's the only character that can walk around in Hell identifying items while surrounded by Aura Enchanted mobs.

D1/Hellfire: Bard
    • She has enough STR for all types of gear, enough DEX for decent chance to hit, & enough MAG to max out all spells
    • A- in melee, A- in magic = powerful, yet well rounded character.
    D3/ROS: Haven't played it. While D2 added uniqueness to each character, D3 removed it.

12. SunsetVista

SunsetVista Diabloii.Net Member

It's been a long time since I played D1, and I never tried Hellfire. I'd like to play that.

D3... haven't played it, don't care about it. Sure, if it was free and worked on my computer and I had nothing else to do, I would try it.

Just one more playthrough of D2? I'll finally build my armageddon wolf druid. That should take a good, long time!