Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

One of the unannounced classes? (Dervish)

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by geshi, Jan 1, 2009.

1. geshi

geshi IncGamers Member

Re: One of the unannounced classes? (Dervish)

Erm, I guess my original post wasn't very clear. I didn't mean to say they were going to add a Dervish class. I was more trying to suggest that they were going to add a "Dervish-like" class. Frankly, I'm still not entirely clear as to what a Dervish is but I think that's exactly why Jay Wilson was trying to stay away from that class.

I also agree it probably won't be a monk since that would in some regards be a "returning" class. Someone else suggested that they were under the impression that a dervish is a kind of beggar. Well, what about a kind of ... say pickpocket? That would sound like maybe a rogue to me. Of course WOW and D1 both have rogues, so maybe there's the possibility of a thief.

Personally I was thinking the names they could possibly go with would be something along the lines of Monk (sort of a repeat, but, then again, Hellfire was made by Sierra, not Blizzard IIRC), thief (rogue seems like a bad choice), ranger, or something else. To me it seems Jay Wilson wants to ensure that people hear the name of the class and instantly say "oh, I bet it'll play/feel like this."

As far as I can tell from the quote, it's a very vague "lead" as to what one of the two other classes will be. A lot of people on the forums have been suggesting a kind of "holy person" type. I could see the initial thought a dervish being morphed into a holy person type. I could also see it bent into just a "simple" fighter like a thief who specializes in daggers or a ranger with bows.

Now, let's go with an outlandish leap here:
    Street performer you say? How about a bard ...? We all know Blizzard's "april fool's jokes" usually end up a reality somewhere. I believe last April they announced the new WOTLK (newest WOW expansion for you non-WoWers) class was going to be the bard and you were going to use a guitar hero controller to control your actions. Of course we wouldn't actually be using a guitar hero controller, but why not the newest class being a bard? I could easily see a bard being a "simple" weapon wielder who chants prayers and songs of encouragement to aid himself/herself in combat as well as his/her allies. Could be the cross of a paladin and a monk (I know that's not always exactly how a Bard goes, but bare with me). Blizzard seems to like "morphing" classes and gameplay mechanics to better suite their games. So instead of auras, the bard has songs. The bard could use fist weapons and staves and maybe maces. They could be proficient in light or medium armors. The bard songs could of course be "holy songs" about gods or angles or what not. Obviously total speculation and probably a bit far of a leap from the fact that Jay Wilson mentioned "dervish" was used as a soccer ball during a dev meeting, but why not?

Edit:
    According to wikipedia's article on Diablo (I), there was allegedly a bard, barbarian and monk all added in Hellfire. Also, they say it was started by Blizzard and passed on to Sierra. I never actually played Hellfire; can anyone confirm that all 3 of these were added in Hellfire? (I was under the impression it was only the monk)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. peasant

peasant IncGamers Member

Don't really see the problem. If he deserves Whirlwind more, then the Dervish would simply get it with the Barbarian getting something else instead. At this stage of game development, skills are constantly being swapped anyway.

3. DemolitionSquid

DemolitionSquid IncGamers Member

At this point, I'm seeing the best easily-recognizable name being Thief. Which a) hasn't been in a Diablo game yet, and b) has a solid skill list to work from from other games.

4. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

Thief and Assasin, aren't these 2 in one way or another the same?

5. peasant

peasant IncGamers Member

Nope... one's a person who steals things while the other's someone who kills people.

6. Doctor Salvador

Doctor Salvador IncGamers Member

Remember that this character should be capable of killing hordes of the Legions of Hell. And remember that this game is serious, and not to be treated as a joke.

You kill minions of the Burning Hells with axes, magic, and bows. You don't kill minions of the Burning Hells with a staff wielding guy who's too pious to wear metal armor.

The only viable thing this class has is auras, and that doesn't make a character.

Moving back to martial arts, remember the Assassin? The only martial arts she used was kicking, kicking with a bit more oomph, and tele-kicking. Don't forget the elemental claw slashes. Those were the only martial arts 'moves' that the Assassin used because anything else can't be implemented into the fast paced slug-fest that is Diablo.

Martial Arts = Not Diablo

7. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Martial Arts = Systems of Combat = Melee Fighting with Weapons is a System of Combat = Barbarian/Paladins = Diablo.

8. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

I think they would have to be careful with singing, as that could end up nice or rather silly (especially if he pulled out a lute).

Personally of all the thoughts put in here, I like the idea of the desert warrior the best. I imagine somebody who would rely on fast-paced attacking and dodging. As for his armor, instead of not wearing it because he's too pious, it's because it's too heavy. You can't really perform acrobatic moves if your wearing plate armor. Also I don't see why some of the moves mentioned couldn't be used (I *think* I follow your thinking though in that they would have too much finesse and 'what if' situations tied to them). Plus we don't know what all D3 is capable of yet.

Also, why a staff? Everyone knows desert warriors carry scimitars. :smug:

9. Tanith

Tanith IncGamers Member

Not necessarily. I'm a Guild Wars player, and one of my characters is a Dervish from the Nightfall campaign.

Their combat animation often makes it appear that Dervishes have a whirlwind-like attack, but they don't. They simply spin around while wielding the scythes which are their natural weapons. As another poster mentioned, they are nomadic holy warriors, robed and hooded, and capable of delivering some of the most devastating melee damage in the game.

I see from the DiabloWiki article that Blizz appears to have rejected the class, though. Have we heard anything reliable to the contrary? This is interesting.

:)

10. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

11. Doctor Salvador

Doctor Salvador IncGamers Member

When I was talking about martial arts, I was referring to Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan/Jet Li, not all forms of melee combat.

Someone mentioned doing spin kicks and flipping his staff around like a ninja. Fancy acrobatics don't belong in Diablo.

But, keeping an open mind, I guess a 'fast/lightweight' character could be in the game, but unless he's packing some auras and whatnot I really don't see him being anything but a slightly weaker/faster Barbarian who's not as interesting.