Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

One life to live: Chasing death in Diablo 3 Hardcore

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Xanth, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Xanth

Xanth Diablo: IncGamers Columnist<br>Clan Officer - US N

Xanth Submitted a news story

One life to live: Chasing death in Diablo 3 Hardcore

[caption id="attachment_380828" align="alignright" width="306"][​IMG] Death awaits. Well, not so much...[/caption]

Death, The ever looming spectre over our characters lives. At any moment we could lose our character and yet that spectre has felt absent as of late, death forgotten about, and almost entirely avoidable.

Now lets first say that death was a very real threat at the start of the season. My clan was littered with death notices from characters ranging from level 1-69. After that first week rush the death notices stopped, and only on occasion does the epitaph of a fallen comrade blink on my screen. Usually it’s followed by a lament, and a curse about lag, and only on rare occasions acknowledgment of pushing too fast and too hard in grifts.

So why are we not dying as much? Because it’s too avoidable. As we leveled we faced death with each fight as we rushed to 70. We were ill equipped and ill prepared, but we soldiered in anyway to progress. As we accumulated our gear in torment, we developed a cushion, and a level of comfortability only lag could take away from us. Now we can stay in relative comfort in T1 gaining the same rewards ( with lower drop rates) while missing out on the rush of fighting for our life.

That isn’t to say everyone chooses to play it safe, many are pushing t6 content and higher level grifts but it’s far too easy not to, and there is no real reason to stray into them outside of personal preference. In Vanilla there was only one torment, and in the earlier iterations it was a foul beast determined to reap the soul from your character( see what I did there?). Each passing patch neutered that challenge, and while I don’t long for the days of being one shot by wasps in A2, I wouldn’t mind the challenge either.

I distinctly recall the rush of hitting paragon 100 on my HC WD, even at paragon 90+ I was hesitant in torment on a low monster power knowing that the wrong pack could seriously end my trek. Now with forty different difficulties(hyperbole!) I have to be cognizant of the lack of death and actively pursue it as opposed to fearing it. Hardcore works best when death is a part of the equation, I was excited for the greater rift ladders and seeing the names fall of as they encountered the perils located within. However, as the season has progressed that hasn't happened.

Now is it all doom and gloom? No far from it, in fact I've found myself playing now far more than ever(and writing far less); Hardcore simply requires a shift in mindset. No longer must we run from death but chase it more consciously, when we push our limits in upper torments and greater rifts we can feel that rush again. So choose to chase death, seasons will end, starting over isn't too bad, and damn if it isn't fun.

How has your season gone? Are you chasing death or is it chasing you?

One Life to Live covers the Hardcore play and life style in the Diablo community. It is written by Xanth and is now back to being published weekly. Post your comments below, Follow me on Twitter @HCXanth or contact the author directly.
    Continue reading the Original Story

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  2. Charons

Charons Diablo: IncGamers Member

I for one think GRifts are the great killer. If you have any inclination at all to push higher, death is a very real threat. In IncHC-North I have seen plenty of death notices. Otherwise, I agree with you. Death is very avoidable especially with the cheat death passives. As long as you don't push, you should be fairly safe.

3. Turbojugend

Turbojugend IncGamers Member

I have lost four 70's during the season so far, once b/c of elite proc clutter, once, because of evil bad terrifingly horrible elites, once because i didn't have the revive skill on my wizardette and once because i was humongously stupid and it didn't have to be.
    one lvl 69 toon and another lower lvl char because ... it could've been avoided.

but besides that, and honestly, death is a lot less of an issue anymore. i play rather reckless and as i've been mostly playing barb (in total), i'm almost always in the middle of it all and up front pushing to the limits and therefore my deaths don't really count because moar careful = moar survival.
    but it's just so much fun.

practically, the only elites i really fear are anarchs et al with teleport, vortex, fire chains and frozen.
    when i see those affixes on them i bail, hide and just try to stay out of their reach.

i intend to try to find out what my death count is because, since i only started playing hardcore with diablo 3 in oct/nov 2012, i believe i possibly am in the top 1 toon killers in the world.
    i used to just play instead of really taking notice of res all and stuff.
    like one time, i had a wizard with (d3v) 1.+ mil. life, ran over a firewall in torment -> deeds.

come ros my death tool drastically decreased, not counting dcs.
    i see death only as a factual possibility in torment 4+, not really in lower torments if you're fairly well geared/gemmed.

but now in seasons, i've a full stash tab of 1-69 legendaries to quicken the rerolling and i already cleared most of y live stash to accommodate the future season end item transfer.

*spam*

4. Steven Hazani

Steven Hazani IncGamers Member

That's just how the game is structured. Any remotely dangerous attack is also avoidable, so getting hit by them means chain cc or lag, and being in danger anyways means being severely outclassed by things you barely kill.

It's not a game that supports legitimate challenge, particularly not in any new system (how many months was it before MP or Torment was worth it? GRs aren't there yet.)

So what happens is the people that understand Blizzard is not capable of even understanding risk vs reward, and therefore avoid the risks that aren't worth taking don't die very often (though you still see a lot of deaths because the servers have been unstable for over a month). The ones who don't, or don't care and go chase Conduit Boards? Yeah, it often doesn't end well.

It'd be nice if things worked as you suggest, where the BS is removed and the legitimate threat is increased. It hasn't happened and probably never will. So the unfortunate truth of the game is that because few risks are actually worth taking, you shouldn't take many. Rofflestomping T6 gives more everything than even GR 40. Backwards as hell, and clearly balanced for SC and its death zerging but true.

5. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

GR's are so tempting for many. I've seen many, many deaths in my clan channel, far more than before v2.1.

As I'm slowly climbing the GR ladder myself (next up is 33 with my monk), I've stared death a few times in the eye in 2.1. In the end, everybody chooses their own challenge, just like the MP1 P100's before did vs. the MP10 players.

Group-stomping T6 rifts <5 minutes gets boring pretty fast, so GR's is where the excitement is for me!

6. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

Right on spot.

7. Cymra

Cymra IncGamers Member

Lost my first on Saturday night. Pushed to T3, did an Act 1 cache with no problems and then decided to do a rift. Got perma-locked in by waller-fire chains-extra health pack. Not fused about re-leveling because you just stick a really big ruby in a weapon socket and hit T1 (and I found the plans for Cain's at level 22 which was nice) but I was bothered about loosing the perfect emerald. That sucks because I'm still poor - both in cash and in emeralds to re-cut a new one... The three piece Roland's and seasonal crusader shield were nice as well... Ah well... Viva hardcore!

8. ConDorr

ConDorr IncGamers Member

Death component is really the fun factor of HC. Never lost char from DC's only by my stupidity or "i will do this later just to clear this area". My last death was so depressing but with little sweet at the end.

My crusader without Akkhan set finally found very nice Ice climbers boots (was very happy),TP to town,stash it and said to myself: "i will wear it LATER but...just to clear this area.... " (

3 minutes later my akarat champion was down, my indestructible passive was on cooldown , engaged 2 elite pack of Wood Wrath with frozen...frozen orbs in chain reaction killed him..... 10 seconds a could not move and watch how death is approaching to him....

I will never found a good reason why i did not put those damn boots on him....never....

meh.... powerleveled new one, with full akkhan,BoP....steamrolling T6...