Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

One Hell of a Shock

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Satrina, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Satrina

Satrina IncGamers Member

One Hell of a Shock

I know there are worse things, but it's pretty damn shocking to come downstairs in the morning and find that you've been robbed.

Hubby came down first and someone had come in the backdoor, and rifled through loads of things and took off out the front door. Evidently there were like 8 robberies last night in town. At last count anyhow, when the policeman came here first they had been only 5 reported.

One of the oddest things is that none on the PCs were touched, nor DVDs or the player, or any of the 'usual' stuff you'd expect to have been grabbed. Just 2 cell phones, my wallet, and some jewelry.

I tell ya what, I'm alot calmer now, earlier I was right freaked out. But the police found some of the missing things already. And from here it was my wallet. So all baby pics of my kidlet and such are safe. So now the only irreplacable thing is my pentacle and amythyst.

Another freaky thing is that I woke up loads last night, and almost came downstairs to sleep cause Hubby was snoring so loud. Still not sure if it's a good or bad thing I didn't.

Anyhow, dunno why the heck I'm babbling on :). Maybe just to let everyone know that the myth that you're safe in your own home is a big fat fallacy. And that you don't have to be out to be robbed. The ****ers will come right in while you're right there and screw you over.

2. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Glad everything worked out for you and everyone was safely upstairs . I worry about this too as I work nights and sleep like a rock during the day . My neighbors house was busted into about 3 weeks ago in the middle of the day . They kicked the front door in and I didnt even here a thing . Im seriously considering getting a gun but my wife dont like the idea too much . So for now I just keep a tire iron under the bed and lock the bedroom door and turn the alarm system on . Id sure hate to wake up one day with someone standing over me or in the house . Man that would freeek me out ...

3. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

I'm a light sleeper. If there are noises that are not in the average nightly repetoir, I wake up easily. If someone had been in my place, I would have woken up for certain. Even if I hadn't woken up, my dog wakes up even faster cause she sleeps closer to the door and unusual noises set of her 120 decibel "pierce bark" as I call it cause it makes me wince sometimes. THAT would have woken me up.

I won't tolerate someone violating my privacy, safety or space like that. If the'yre uninvited, they will be received as such. I'm not out to shoot someone but if they give me sufficient reason I would. I'd much rather have a live person to let police arrest than a dead body for the coroner to take away.

I'm glad you and your family are safe Sats and I'm glad you got your wallet and pictures back, those things are irreplaceable. Who knows what would have been different if you had slept downstairs but considering how well this one turned out, I have my doubts it would have been better any other way. I'm just glad you guys are all right. :xsmile3:

4. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Yea, i keep a sawed off golf club for my personal comfort
    I had someone break into my car sittin in the driveway just recently...luckily he just tried to pop out the cd player and failed

Glad everyone's safe Satrina

5. toader

toader Banned

whew...

Good thing you didnt go downstairs. It might have deterred them, but you never know what they might have done if they found you, better safe upstairs.

I hope the insurance company treats you well, thats always hard to deal with. This reminds me of something that I put off. I need to videotape my house, all the rooms and closets and important items and drop the video in a safety depost box, been meaning to do that. Maybe Ill do that this weekend, I recommend all home-owners do the same.

6. masterazn

masterazn Banned

At least you're not hurt!
    *hugs Satrina*

7. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

I use a double barrel 12 guage, for sleeping comfort. The rottweiller at the foot of my bed ain't bad either.

NB :D

8. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

They dont have guns in the UK; theyre defenseless remember.

9. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

Damn, you're the second person who got robbed that I've heard about in the past day! :eek: At least you're fine, that's important.

10. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

hmm well.. glad you're ok, i'm a light sleeper as well, so that probably would have woken me up

and there's always my sisters trusty dog.. bart.. :xmad:

11. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

I'm glad you and your family are ok, Sat.
    Yeah, but any sort of melee weapon(pipe, knife, golf club, bat) can make a huge difference. You take what you can get.

12. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

I am sorry to hear that Sats. Glad you and your family is okay.

Also, if you haven't already (you likely have I would guess), can I suggest that you contact your CC company to check if there were any purchases made on your card last night (if it was indeed last night), and get them voided if so. I know it feels early, but it is a good idea.

I hope you get everything back, and they catch the poeple that did this. Though a long prison sentence is too much to expect these days :rolleyes:.

Oh, and Geeno, if you think that UK home owners are defenseless you are greatly mistaken. Lack of guns does not by any stretch of the imagination make that the case.

13. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Glad to see you wearing your good 'tar SZ.

Mad dogs and englishmen, Geeno. Never underestimate the British.

NB :p

14. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I feel your pain Satrina. I was robbed sometime between last Friday and Monday. I went home for the weekend, came back, and found all my xbox games and all my DVD's missing. About 400 bucks worth of stuff. Turns out the roommates had a party over the weekend and can't really remember what happened or just who all was here.

Irresponsible idiots piss me off. Why do I live with so many of them?

15. GIR

GIR Banned

I was living with my girlfriend in her parent's house a while back, and I had a rather unique experience.

I woke up to the dog barking and the front door being opened and closed. Nothing unusual, as it was the middle of the day and her father was usually off to work or something like that, so I rolled over and went back to sleep. About 10 seconds later, the door to our room opened, and I roll over to see who it is, and there's 2 fools in gasmasks coming in. At this point, I'm still half asleep, so I think I'm dreaming, and was half amused. I looked at them and said "hi." Then they tell me to get on my stomach. So, I do, and they handcuff my hands behind my back. At this point was when I actually woke up and realized what was going on. Then one of them pushes my head into the pillow and starts asking my questions. At this point I decide to test out just how much these guys actually know what I'm doing. So, they want an answer, and I just mumble out something. He yells at me to say it so he can understand me. I put my head up, and he pushes it back down, telling me to keep it down. I lift it up again and tell him that if he wants an answer, I have to be able to breathe and that the pillow would muffle anything I said anyways, and I proceded to call him a dumbass. I was waiting for him to hit me, but nothing came, so I figured "alright, let's see how far I can go with this." Then he asks me where the key to my car is. I didn't answer. Then he says that they're not going to steal it, but that they want something out of it. (Now, my car's a mess. The back seat is just full of junk. Yeah, one of those cars.) I told him that if he told me what he was looking for, that I'd tell him where it was, to further expedite his shopping pleasure. He told my to shut up and tell him where the key was. Again, I didn't say anything, and he got all mad and asked it again, only yelling this time. I asked him how was I supposed to answer if he just told me to shut up, and that he needed to make up his mind. This prompted him to yell at me to just do what he told me. So, I told him that the key was in my pants pocket. So he asks me where my pants are, and I told him on the floor somewhere. He tells me to be more specific, so I told him that I couldn't see the floor since I was on the bed and that he was on his own there. (I always had the habit of just tossing my pants into a random part of the room, so they were always in a different spot.) After a minute he finds the right pair, and askes where in my pants the key is. I tell him it's in the pocket, and he asks which one (is this guy completely inept, or what?) so I retort with "there's not a whole lot to choose from there, killer. This prompts another unpleasant "shut up." (Does anyone else see a theme here? He threw a whole lot of "shut up's out there.) So at this point, I notice that the 2nd guy hasn't said anything, so I asked him if he was going to get involved in this at all, or if he was just too busy staring at my ***. (I was on my stomach and just wearing boxers, for all you ladies who are just dying to know about my sexy self) Can you guess what I get for that? Yup, another shut up. So, he gets my car key, tosses the other keys I had in my pocket across the room, trying to play the tough guy or something. So he tells me that they're going to take what they want, and that the key will be left on the hood for me. (aww, how considerate.) So, now it's time for them to leave, but they still have a message for me. He tells me that I have 1 month to get out of the house, and that if I'm not, they'll be back, and "I saw how slick they got in this time. (More on that later.) After that, off to the door they both go. But uh-oh, what did they forget? Yup, that's right, their handcuffs! So, #2 says something about it to #1, (yes, they refered to themselves as #1 and #2) I hear this and I can't take it anymore. Face-down in the pillow, I just start laughing. This get a unison "shut up!" which makes me laugh even harder. At this point I realize that these two are complete idiots, so I go on the offensive. "Number 1 and Number 2? Why are you guys refering to eachother as bathroom codes? Man, you guys have seen 'Fight Club' one too many time, huh?" So now they're pissed, and want to get their handcuffs and go. But guess what? They have nothing to stop me from jumping up and whoopin' their asses once they take the handcuffs off. (They didn't think this out very well, did they?) So, I believe that it was #1 saying to #2, to find something to tie my arms up with. After looking around for a minute, he hits gold. A Playstation controller! He hands it off to the other one, I'm laying there just laughing away, and spurted out another comment about them looking at my *** while he was trying to tie the Playstation controller around me all fancy like. They just kept telling me to shut up, but wouldn't do anything else. They finish, and out the door they go, but not before telling a mythical #3 to "keep watch in the hall until they get out the door." I'm literally in hysterics now just laughing it up after that.

In the end, they got away though. Why, you ask, when they were so obviously incompetent? Well, I'll tell you. As dumb as they were, they had a genius escape plan. I couldn't have thought of a better one. Remember that Playstation controller that he spent that time doing up around me all fancy-like? Well, after a minute, once I regained my composure, I tried my arms out to see just how long it was going to take me to free myself. HE TIED IT AROUND ONE ARM! I just move my arms, and there it is hanging off my left arm. I lost it completely. I was done. I laughed so damn hard that I fell off the bed onto the floor, and remained there, unable to move for about 5 minutes I was laughing so hard. Tears in my eyes and everything. I'm sitting here now laughing about it as I'm trying to type. I keep messing up. Oh man...

What did they take from my car, you ask? Well, this is the thing I've never been able to figure out. They took my wallet, and nothing else. I had CDs and a digital camera, and all sort of other stuff in my car but they took my wallet. (Leaving work at night, I used to get lazy and just throw my wallet on the seat of my car.) There wasn't even money in it, as all that was in my pants. (Again, the whole lazy thing.) I've never been able to figure out why they only took that.

Remember how I said I'd get back to the think where he said they got into the house "all slick?" They came in the unlocked from door and woke up the dog, which woke me up. Real slick, chumps. It was all my girlfriend's parents doing, finding to morons to do that and all. I'll tell you why. First, both of her parents were gone at the time. Together in the same car. They never did that before in all the time I lived there, except on holidays and such. Second, it was about 12:30 in the afternoon. Her mother was never up before 2:00. I work nights, and she constantly slept later than me. Third, they front door, was, in fact, unlocked. They always locked to deadbolt whenever they left, because the doorknob was horrible and the wind always blew the door open if the deadbolt wasn't locked, and the cats would escape. I used to go down and check the door whenever someone left if I was awake, and I always found it locked prior to that. Fourth, they said they went out together to eat. This was when they were having trouble just paying the bills, and rarely had any food in the house except for what I brought in.

So that's my story. Long, I know, but at least you weren't the one that had to type it out, right? Oh yeah, and do you think I was out in that month time frame that our two gas-masked friends gave me?

Nope. I stayed there for another 9 months or so, when her parents got divorced and sold the house. Our friends never made a return appearance.

16. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Awesome story man! :lol:

17. Satrina

Satrina IncGamers Member

:lol: thanks for making me laugh GIR. Not that it's funny you were robbed of course, but lord, talk about dorks.

And thanks for all the support guys too *Huggles* I'm alot calmer than before, although I still wanna kick some butt, and probably won't sleep worth a crap for a long while, even worse than usual.

That's the really freaky thing, well, one of, I'm a really light sleeper too, unless I'm knocked out, and I wasn't. So in the three nonconsecutive hours I did sleep last night they must've done it extremly quiet.

And they obviously although dumb, weren't too dumb, they wore gloves at all the houses they did last night (they CID guy did the fingerprint checky thing).

I am hugely relieved we're all OK, and the first thought we all had when we came down was if the Kitties were safe, which they were. Blasted Tinki prolly tried to get lovies and food off them :). And I got the photos back (baby pics of Emmy, my son, my neice, all beyond irreplaceable).

But I don't think I'll ever get over how they just ignored hundreds of pounds worth of pain meds, and all the PC and DVD and Digi cams and all that crap and yet took two crap cell phones, a wallet with all of £5 in it, a belly bar worth £6 and my pentacle (maybe £30 total w/chain). It's just stupid. Not that I'm argueing, mind. But it's just freaky.

Oh, and when my wallet was found the policeman brought it right over, bless him. And all my credit cards, bank card and all that was still there. The only thing missing was the change. Freaky. But we'd already cancelled all the cards anyhow, like by 7:30 this morning. So if any odd things come up we're covered on that.

Anyhow, enough rambling from me. Thanks again everybody for caring and all that :) *Huggles*

18. Nova_Dust

Nova_Dust Banned

****ers ****ers ****ers, god I hate thieves... I hate people who steal. I hate it YO!

*steals beautiful OTF women's hearts*

19. Captain-Dorf

Captain-Dorf IncGamers Member

I once had soemone break into my room, steal all of my dirty laundry and then return it, cleaned, to my closet. Talk about odd...

20. Akira

Akira Member

Attack monkeys are the way to go, nothing deters robbers more than several handfuls of feces being flung at them upon entry of the premises.