On this very day...

rikstaker

Diabloii.Net Member
On this very day...

extract from USSLiberty site said:
......During the Six Day War between Israel and the Arab States,on June 8 1967, the American intelligence ship USS Liberty was attacked for 75 minutes in international waters by Israeli aircraft and motor torpedo boats. Thirty-four men died and 172 were wounded.

The attack, which was a war crime, has been a matter of controversy ever since. Survivors and many key government officials including Secretary of State Dean Rusk, former JCS Chairman Admiral Thomas Moorer, and nearly every senior American intelligence professional say it was no accident. Israel and its supporters insist it was a "tragic case of misidentification" and charge that the survivors are either lying or too emotionally involved to see the truth.

Israel claims they mistook our ship for the out-of-service Egyptian horse carrier El Quseir and that we brought the attack upon ourselves by operating in a war zone without displaying a flag. Not so. We were in international waters, far from any fighting, and flew a bright, clean, new American flag. The flag we flew when the torpedo boats approached is on display at the National Cryptologic Museum, Fort Meade, Maryland and can be seen there, or in the USS Liberty Images Archive. The flag we flew during most of the air attack will be permanently displayed at the Cold War Museum near Washington, DC.

Our commanding officer, Captain William Loren McGonagle, received the Congressional Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty during the attack. The Congressional Medal of Honor is the highest award our country can bestow. To avoid embarrassing our attackers, Captain McGonagle's Medal of Honor was presented in a quiet ceremony in the Washington Navy Yard instead of in the White House by the President as is customary.
A warcrime that got unpunished.

extract from USS Liberty site said:
"A nice whitewash for a group of ignorant, stupid and inept [expletive deleted]."
-- Handwritten note of August 26, 1967, by NSA Deputy Director Louis W. Tordella reacting to the Israeli court decision exonerating Israelis of blame for the Liberty attack.

"Never before in the history of the United States Navy has a Navy Board of Inquiry ignored the testimony of American military eyewitnesses and taken, on faith, the word of their attackers."
-- Captain Richard F. Kiepfer, Medical Corps, US Navy (retired), USS Liberty Survivor

"The evidence was clear. Both Admiral Kidd and I believed with certainty that this attack...was a deliberate effort to sink an American ship and murder its entire crew.... It was our shared belief. . .that the attack. . .could not possibly have been an accident.... I am certain that the Israeli pilots [and] their superiors. . .were well aware that the ship was American."
-- Captain Ward Boston, JAGC, US Navy (retired), senior legal counsel to the US Navy Court of Inquiry

That the attack was deliberate "just wasn't a disputed issue" within the National Security Agency
-- Former NSA Director retired Army Lieutenant General William Odom on 3 March 2003 in an interview for Naval Institute Proceedings

Former NSA/CIA Director Admiral Bobby Inman "flatly rejected" the Cristol/Israeli claims that the attack was an accident -- 5 March 2003 interview for Naval Institute Proceedings

Of four former NSA/CIA seniors with inside knowledge, none was aware of any agency official who dissented from the position that the attack was deliberate
-- David Walsh, writing in Naval Institute Proceedings

"I was never satisfied with the Israeli explanation. . . . Through diplomatic channels we refused to accept their explanations. I didn't believe them then, and I don't believe them to this day. The attack was outrageous "
-- US Secretary of State Dean Rusk

"...the board of inquiry (concluded) that the Israelis knew exactly what they were doing in attacking the Liberty."
-- CIA Director Richard Helms

"I can tell you for an absolute certainty (from intercepted communications) that the Israelis knew they were attacking an American ship." -- NSA Deputy Director Oliver Kirby

"That the Liberty could have been mistaken for the Egyptian supply ship El Quseir is unbelievable"
-- Special Assistant to the President Clark Clifford, in his report to President Lyndon Johnson

"The highest officials of the [Johnson] administration, including the President, believed it 'inconceivable' that Israel's 'skilled' defense forces could have committed such a gross error." -- Lyndon Johnson's biographer Robert Dallek in Flawed Giant, Oxford University Press, 1998, pp. 430-31)

"It appears to me that it was not a pure case of mistaken identity."
-- Captain William L. McGonagle, Commanding Officer, USS Liberty, speaking at Arlington National Cemetery, June 8, 1997

"To suggest that they [the IDF] couldn't identify the ship is ... ridiculous. ... Anybody who could not identify the Liberty could not tell the difference between the White House and the Washington Monument."
-- Admiral Thomas Moorer, Chief of Naval Operations and later Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, quoted in The Washington Post, June 15, 1991, p. 14
http://www.ussliberty.org/

-------
Not just that,this is a country which butchers UN peacekeepers.(committed on the same day)
James Banford, writing in Body of Secrets, recounted the murder of 14 Indian U.N. peacekeepers on the morning of June 8, 1967. Quoting from a story in the Toronto Globe and Mail:

"A convoy of Indian peacekeeper soldiers, flying the blue United Nations flag from their jeeps and trucks, were on their way to Gaza when they met an Israeli tank column on the road. As the Israelis approached, the UN observers pulled aside and stopped to get out of the way. One of the tanks rotated its turret and opened fire from a few feet away. The Israeli tank then rammed its gun through the windshield of an Indian jeep and decapitated the two men inside. Then other Indians went to aid their comrades, they were mowed down by machine-gun fire. Another Israeli tank thrust its gun into a into a UN truck, lifted it, and smashed it to the ground, killing or wounding all the occupants. In Gaza, Israeli tanks blasted six rounds into UN headquarters, which was flying the UN flag. Fourteen UN members were killed in these incidents. One Indian officer called it deliberate, cold-blooded killing of unarmed UN soldiers."
http://www.usslibertyinquiry.com/news/peacekeepters.html
---------
American soldiers lost their lives for nothing,no one is held accounted for instead the friendship & steadfast support of Israel continued like nothing had happened.Of course,it was worse in the case of Indians,the story never got the attention it deserved.

Shifting focus to current issues:

So much for the friendship of a nation like Israel,why? because its a democracy? I think not.How much has the staunch support of Israel cost the U.S in terms of strained relations & lost goodwill?We may never know.

This will give you an idea of how much the support has cost Americans financially:

http://www.wrmea.com/html/us_aid_to_israel.htm
Summary
Benefits to Israel of U.S. Aid
Since 1949 (As of November 1, 1997)

Foreign Aid Grants and Loans
$74,157,600,000

Other U.S. Aid (12.2% of Foreign Aid)
$9,047,227,200

Interest to Israel from Advanced Payments
$1,650,000,000

Grand Total
$84,854,827,200

Total Benefits per Israeli
$14,630
Cost to U.S. Taxpayers of U.S.
Aid to Israel

Grand Total
$84,854,827,200

Interest Costs Borne by U.S.
$49,936,680,000

Total Cost to U.S. Taxpayers
$134,791,507,200

Total Taxpayer Cost per Israeli
$23,240
http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=831
http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/1209/p16s01-wmgn.html

bring on the flames!

Rik :strong:

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
It's a strange incident. I'll watch the documentary (in Holland) on it tonight...

But what I can say right now is that Israel did some dirty things in its time....
and still does them today, what with the palestinian conflict and all.

So I wouldn't be surprised if it was a deliberate attack.

The only question is why?

David.

EDIT: Nice, nrabbit.... you're easy to persuade.... :uhhuh:

rikstaker

Diabloii.Net Member
DaviddeJong said:
The only question is why?
Here is...

http://www.ussliberty.org/why.htm

That could have been

1. The planned invasion of the Golan Heights which was set to start a few hours after Liberty's arrival in the area. When Liberty arrived, the invasion was postponed for 24 hours, Liberty was attacked, and the invasion took place the next day. Did they postpone the invasion until Liberty out of the way and unable to report on the war?

2. It is possible that they were afraid that Liberty might learn and report to the United States that Israeli forces were executing up to 1,000 Egyptian Prisoners of War at El Arish at the very moment that Liberty was just 13 miles off shore.

3. It is also possible that USS Liberty was attacked to prevent the ship from reporting a deliberate massacre of 14 Indian United Nations peacekeepers that took place in Gaza shortly before Israel's attack on USS Liberty.
Rik

DaviddeJong

Diabloii.Net Member
Strange stuff.... I don't know what to say.... Attack Egypt AND kill UN- and US-soldiers in the process!!!

Harsh, to say the least.

I always thought the US were OK with the war.....

David.

DrunkPotHead

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm at work right now and don't have much time (which is why i haven't responded in the other thread yet) but upon a quick search, i came up with this: http://hnn.us/articles/369.html

Apparently, the US told the UN that it had no ships in that immediate area two days before the attack.

He completely ignores that the United States had publicly announced to the world at the United Nations Security Council only two days before June 8, 1967 that it had no warships within hundreds of miles of the combat zone.
Some other very interesting things there as well.

rikstaker

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkPotHead said:
I'm at work right now and don't have much time (which is why i haven't responded in the other thread yet) but upon a quick search, i came up with this: http://hnn.us/articles/369.html

Apparently, the US told the UN that it had no ships in that immediate area two days before the attack.

Some other very interesting things there as well.
I hope you have read the whole thing & havent concluded that there was no ship in the area.

So what if the US told UN? It was a spy vessel,emphasis spy,so no wonder UN was kept in the dark.That, Israel didnt knew there was going to be as US vessel since UN was told so is a pathetic excuse...

..guess you havent read all the testimonies above,they flew the American flag,have intercepted communication in which it is evident that the Israelis knew what they were doing.

The author of the book of which there is an extract in your link is Ahron Jay Crystal who is a zionist & his soul purpose is to wash up the incident.

http://www.rense.com/general47/psor.htm
http://usa.mediamonitors.net/headlines/did_israeli_general_moshe_dayan_order_the_attack_on_the_uss_liberty

His attempts arent enough to discredit the overwhelming evidence against Israel,go through the various documents on the ussliberty website.

Rik