Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OMG Horrible Day!!!!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Metallica4life07, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Metallica4life07

Metallica4life07 IncGamers Member

OMG Horrible Day!!!!

Well today started out very promising. I found a godly Poison and Bone GC and tradded it for a Ber rune. Than I found a 2/2 Seraph hymn, and a SS. These are the best things I ever found. Finally I was doing a pit run and I found a Sup Archon Plate which I socketed and traded for my first ever HoZ. Well Im really happy, its time to build a new Pally. I traded the SS for a Stone Crusher. Now its time to mule. First of all, Ber is gone. Yup, must have been a dupe and it disappeared. Than I create a game, wait 6 minutes using the /time feature and dump my: Hymn, Hoz, Stone Crusher, Gore Riders, Shako, and combat GC in the game (pretty much all my items, I have been saving for a while to make my new Zealot) and then I get my Pally and join the game only to find...GAME DOES NOT EXIST WTF I waited for over 5 minutes, I joined with different characters to mule and now it doesnt exist. All my stuff was eaten by Blizzard. I really don't know what I am going to do. I built up and traded my gear for this pally and in one swoop of evil by Blizzard, its all gone. (well the Ber is my fault, I should know better not to trade for high runes) I have muled in private games forever, and the only time I lost something is when I forgot the game name. I am just so depressed now. Sorry for making you all read my sob story, you may not think its too bad, but to me it is.

2. Liquid_Fire

Liquid_Fire IncGamers Member

wow that sucks, sorry to hear that..
    always try to get a trustworthy friend to have them help x-fer things

3. Metallica4life07

The only problem with that is I don't have any real life friends that play d2, and I won't trust anyone I meet on Battlenet to help me transfer.

4. Malgor

Malgor IncGamers Member

Sometimes you have to trust people. I would NEVER steal anything from anyone as I have a MANY game reputation to upkeep and most people in other games know Malgor.

If you need to mule /msg *whiteoak or *malgrot and I will gladly help you out anytime. I don't have much good stuff since I've only gotten back into D2 the last month, but I do now have a ** hammerdin and 86 sorceress.

With my weird work schedule I play sporatically, but am on usually several times a week, and sometimes all day.

5. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

oh man that sounds really terrible..hope u find some of the stuff u lost thru more MF soon..

regarding the runes..thats one reason y i dare not trade for the runes i need to make egnima..i'm terrified to see the runes i trade for disappear.. :scared:

6. Metallica4life07

I really should have known better for the Ber, but just seeing that rune in the trade screen for the first time gave me goosebumps.

7. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

happened to me once. if you are smart, it will only happen once to you too.

my rules now:
    test the game first before muling. leave the game, then immediately rejoin it.

never drop all the "good" stuff at the same time. do it at least 1/2 at a time.

immediately pick up the "good" stuff. gems, craftables, etc. can wait.

if at all possible, use a mule in the same account.

mule the good stuff second. first, third, and later the risk gets higher.

make high level mules. unplayed mules (even if "burned" in the first 2 hours of the first 90,) have a shorter lifespan than more often-played mules.

high level mules also help if you accidentally make a nm/hell mule game. this has saved me from losing 2 gheed's charms so far.

by using these rules, i have had no muling accidents since my first few months (3 years now.) there is still a chance that the game will outright crash, but i have reduced this risk to under 1%.

8. bacchae

bacchae IncGamers Member

I always wait a lot longer than 6 minutes - more like 10-15, just to make very sure that the game stays up. I let my merc go and kill baals minions and a few other things to while away the time...and you never know - something useful may drop, even if its just a few flawless or crafting runes...

I also, like above, test out the game by logging out and in with a different char to make sure the game is "sturdy", before even thinking about dropping anything. I always pick up the most valuable things first, and do it in shifts. I don't drop all my better items in one go.

It's very rare these days that I lose things while muling like this. In fact, the last time I lost something when muling was when my friend and I were xfering gear, when bnet had a fit and just lost the game while we were in it. I actually often get disconnected during my self-muling sessions (my connection doesn't much like me changing in and out), but still manage to make it back in while the game is there.

I'd definitely recommend you find someone you can trust to xfer with, as even if the game goes down, they can hold your higher end items. There are a lot of trustworthy folk around here - and I'd be happy to help (if you're on ladder) and you're stuck. *feed_the_cs

9. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

Not all the strangers you meet on bnet are thieves. I have met several people that I eventually trusted with high end stuff when muling and I haven't been burned yet. They could have stolen eth botd weapons, wf, zods etc but chose integrity. Don't rush into it, but after you play with someone for a while a friendship can form and you can take a chance.

Btw, if you follow good muling protocols like the guys mentioned above, it's very safe. I've muled solo I'm sure more than a thousand times and only lost things twice.

10. funnelweb2

funnelweb2 IncGamers Member

I thought I had this problem solved. With 2 computers you don't need friends, you just transfer direct between characters - via the trading window for really valuable stuff.
    However, even this isn't foolproof, as I discovered to my cost the other day. I wanted to do a complicated transfer involving 2 Annihilus charms and three characters. (btw I picked up both charms myself from DC, so I knew they were absolutely legit. They also had different stats, so even the dumbest server couldn't possibly have thought I was duping - or could it?)
    Anyway, I have two characters in the game, both carrying an Annihilus. They both drop, and one picks up his new charm. So, one transfer successfully completed. The transferor saves and exits, and I go to load the second transferee. 'Failed to join game'. What? I rush over to the second computer. The other character is still there, and so is the charm, sitting there on the ground, but of course he can't pick it up because he's already got one. I try loading another character. Failure. I try again and again. Nothing works. I keep the character on my second computer in the game throughout. I don't seem to have lost my connection, because I can still do things with the character still in the game - I just can't pick up that charm. Finally, not being able to think of anything else, I save and exit with my one remaining character in the game. I try reloading. 'Game does not exist.' Are you kidding? How did that happen?
    I already knew I'd lost that second charm, but I could still hardly believe it when it happened. Perhaps I should count myself lucky I didn't lose both of them. Thanks be to Blizz!

11. disci

disci IncGamers Member

When I want to mule some stuff and got no friends online. I just join in a game wheres atleast 2 ppl and max 4 around. Then I just drop a few of the items I need to transfer and mule 'em. Rinse and repeat. Works all the time. Best possible game is where ppl are doing quests few acts lower where Im dropping stuff.

12. EndTheory

EndTheory IncGamers Member

If you need help muling i'm trustworthy and if i'm on i'm usually glad to help. Just give me a shout at *EndTheory. My experience is it pays to be a helpful, trustworthy member of bnet. The more people you help you the more people you have that will help you. Anyway sorry you lost your crap. It sucks i've had it happen too.

13. krmetal

krmetal IncGamers Member

Dont forget to password games you make to mule, but make the password different than the game name. I was in the habit of making the game name like asasas and the password as. I was muling and surprise!!! Someone entered my game! I couldnt pick up stuff fast enough and he started picking stuff up ! I told him I was muling and the stuff was not for giveaway. So he left..... with my stuff! The only other time I have lost stuff is I had dumped gems and skulls to transfer to a mule. When the mule entered the game to pick up, the three perfect skulls were gone. :scratch:

14. reese101295

reese101295 IncGamers Member

Everyone I have met on THIS forum website is VERY VERY trustworthy. Just post a thread, name the game and password, and you should be all set. and FYI, you can always ask me. I will not steal your stuff (i have been ripped off in my time too) Just message me, or leave me a PM here. I play pretty much every night. My acct is *reese101295

15. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

O.K. ... You hade a really lucky day ... But you´ve lose it by your stupidity.... Mmmm ... just don´t care. The game is about to have a FUN so... just forget it.... And the next time trade with someone else (like me :lol: ), who you can give you garantee for not cheati**. not ****i** - just trading. :uhhuh:

16. SoCal44

SoCal44 IncGamers Member

I ususally look for normal games where people are in act1 or something. A lot of the time I'll go to a WP and drop around there, not killing the monsters. Go with my mid lvl mule and Im fine (for the good stuff).

My rule is only drop what you are willing to lose.

Im on USWest if someone needs help muleing /w *DarkKarma and I dont charge a commission :thumbsup:

17. ArcaneLegend

ArcaneLegend IncGamers Member

ouch...i feel ya.

back in .09 i was doing a little self-muling. the game was already there for at least 10 min and i successfully xfered a ton of loot. but there was still a lotta stuff left on the ground, including tals armor, doombringer, .09 valor, perf guardian angel, a couple of shakos, a couple of gazes, an ss, and a whole buncha other random goods. when i clicked on my doombringer, i walked over there, but didnt pick it up. i thought maybe it was lag or something, so i tried rejoining...[Game does not exist.]

i estimated that the total loss was an equivalent of ~25 hexes (currency back in those .09 days...).

well...my loss was greater than urs, but i understand how much it sux to fall victim to such a bnet bug that caught us when we least expected it.

18. Sopper

Sopper IncGamers Member

I do quickmules nowadays.
    Make game, throw items on the ground (not to many at once), leave game, join game with mule within 1 minute and thats it :)
    Never went wrong....

19. PikeyPriest

PikeyPriest IncGamers Member

I've got a pretty good method of moving items without loosing them.

Firstly, you really need to have Act 1 for it to be useful.

Join game:
    (anything that people call act 1 normal games)
    ie. New, Start, Start new.....etc

You will then join a game with your elite character and just go to a WP (i like world stone keep lvl 2, due to the anchients + level requirements). Everyone in the game will be <lvl 10 and be unable to get to the WP. The game will stay open because people are there, but they won't be able to get your stuff :). Enter with the new character, grab your stuff, leave.

I think it also goes without saying that you do *NOT* party, as that would tell them where you are going :uhhuh:, i've yet to have a problem with this method :thumbsup:

[just make sure the character you want to trade to has this WP]

20. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

^_^ j/k.
    If they steal your items, it's at least better then the item disappearing into the void.