Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OMG, a new topic! With a poll, even! (Iran)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jmervyn, Jun 16, 2005.

?

Accident or in retaliation to fake photos...

1. Accident of course

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Retaliation for the fake photos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Chili Cheese Fritos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Durf, Boobies, Beer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

OMG, a new topic! With a poll, even! (Iran)

Yet again, we Americans don't seem to pay much attention to events outside our borders, at least until we are led by the nose to doing so.

There is an election in Iran in the immediate future. This election is being practically rigged by the establish theocracy, but at the same time they are panicky that the populace is simply going to boycott the election.

Send in Sean Penn to find out "the real deal"...
    Sean Penn: Our Man in Tehran

So are we seeing yet another media-enabled whitewash of despicable activity in progress, or what?

2. skihard

skihard Banned

I vote for Penn is a dumb ass that is a crappy actor and has to find some way to get butts in the seats at his current/future movies

3. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

At first I thought you were talking about Penn...as in Penn and Teller.

Meh...a rose by any other name is still an idiot...right?

4. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

Jeez that was fairly crap reading.

What was the point? Prank phone calls? Screaming down the phone at someone isn't very funny. And what's the deal with throwing in a French person from 1978?

"At this crucial moment, what Iran does not need is another Sean Penn"

I think the communication industry has changed alot since 1978.

"It remains to be seen what Penn will make of the election, but left-wing radical groups like A.N.SW.E.R. and Global Exchange already have their story: they hope to legitimize the elections in Iran as popular and fair, and to condemn the support for the anti-regime movement given by President Bush and his administration as yet another imperial attempt to expand American influence at the expense of an elected government."

It's not like there won't be a radical right group reporting on issues over there aswell. Should they get all the fun?

"If a movie star of the caliber of Sean Penn is in Iran, the young Iranians figure, this means that Iran is important; the eyes of the world are on Tehran. This is a great chance to let the world know how despised the ruling clerics are."

Yeah that is terrible isn't it :lol:

I don't think anyone will seriously take what Sean Penn has to say to heart. There are other media sources out there.

5. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Not sure that I understand where you're coming from - the article was recopied on a far-right site, but the author is an Iranian nationalist. Seemed to me that he dislikes <any> foreign version of the "White Man't Burden" attitude.

6. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

Excerpt from Molavi's Blog:

"It‘s time the left and progressive forces in America woke up from their anti-Bush stupor to see things for what they are, rather than using countries like Iran as a backdrop to score domestic political points against their opponents. I‘m glad Sean Penn is in Iran. I hope he reports things as he sees them, in all their multi-colored and even multi-hued complexity, rather than taking shots at Bush by defending the Islamic Republic of Iran. His presence ensures that many more Americans will learn about Iran. That‘s a good thing. He has a heavy responsibility on his shoulders. Indeed, simply reporting truthfully on Iran as it is today, with a young, largely pro-American, post-Islamist population, hungry for democratic change, is actually a better tool against neoconservative visions of war than manning the barricades with some of the unsavory figures of the IRI."

I pretty much agree with Molavi's take on the whole situation.

7. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

He should stick with what he knows best...something he calls acting.

8. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

If you think Penn's a crappy actor, then you are a *censored*.

9. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Him going to Tehran only makes me wish for him to take 444 days to find out they're not nice people.

I'm not convinced the Iranian election is going to go the way the clerics think. Plus we just happen to have them outflanked on both sides... Perhaps a little "assistance" is in order. :thumbsup:

10. CyberHawk

Heres why...I cant think of a movie he was in,

I asked someone in the room..and they didnt even know who he was.

The only Penn I know is his brother who plays alot of B,C roles in pretty good movies.

To sum up..if hes so good....why doesnt people know him?

Edit;
    Just asked 3 mor people..........dont know him.
    So whose "censored" now.

Edit, Edit;
    The Thin Red Line
    Were no Angels
    Those are the only ones I know of, after checking his profile .

And ya..still crappy to me.

11. farting bob

farting bob Banned

That wouldnt surprise me at all. :uhhuh:
    And sean Penn has done some good films before, its just that he's not in the uber celeb status, but thinks he should be (as can be seen by him producing and acting, like so many actors fail at doing)

12. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

Latest news seems to be the Iranian election is very close. The clerics are being given a run for their money. Good prediction Freemason.

Just what the world needs .... USA invading another country. We've seem what US assistance did in Vietnam, various African countries, various South American countries, Somalia, Afganistan, Iraq. Your track record isn't so hot. Do you really think you can do a better job in Iran ?

Freemason you old warmonger ... give it a rest.

Regards
    Syxx

13. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

It did wonders in Iraq. That place used to be a violent country where you could lose your life just for being in the way of the armed forces in charge of the country, and the place was filled with people who hated Americans. Just look at it now!

A good thing to do about Iran would be to send thousands of rich Americans over there to talk to people and make friends and just generally flaunt their wealth and internationalism and comfort. (And hey, maybe some of the ones you don't like will prefer it over there and stay. I hear they have great cafes if you like playing backgammon and smoking a hookah.) I'm thinking that would be a better way to win young people's hearts and minds than invading and killing a bunch of them. But Freemason will probably ignore that sort of pinko thinking. Lock and load, baby! :teeth:

14. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

'Droll' much? You're talking about a number of countries, who we haven't even started invading yet. At least Baghdad isn't a terrorist resort any longer...

The initial article pointed to exactly what you're talking about - that a good number of the Iranians are extremely pro-US/pro-democracy, but that they don't particularly like Americans coming over & yelling about how to do it (or rubbing dollars in their faces).

As to the election being fair, I'm amazed at the disinformation so far - even FOX failed to really look at the issue, and I would have expected them to be all over it. The clerics have picked each candidate, and have killed staff on the candidates who have not been in line with their choices. If this isn't talked about, it will be a major media malfunction as far as I'm concerned.

Some coverage
    Some rightie opinion
    There's plenty more...

15. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

it wasnt before but now it is.

Rik

16. CyberHawk

I think me means..a place where terrorist fell back to in rest, regrouping. Not worring and such. This is not the place today. Iraq is becoming a close system for these terrorist, and even with news of groups growing in anger of cilvilian deaths...alot of tips are coming in that are helping the Iraq governments and of course US nap some big labels.

Link

Most of this is explained towards the middle down in that link. But I think its correcxt to say..Iraq is not a "resort" anymore. There are of course cells...but hiding ones, that are being crushed ever week.

17. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Correct, and Rik has completely misinterpreted (or disregarded) the truth of my statement. Iraq used to be one of the better R&R locations a terrorist could have; Syria and Iran are the only ones remaining and I bet they're by invitation only. Iraq is a hostile battlefield for them, not a resort - but if they don't win in Iraq, they'll suffer a crippling blow.

In this way, Shrub's administration chose the battle well - if the showdown for Al-Quaeda's brand of terrorism had been Afganistan, Islamists wouldn't have cared, and their credibility wouldn't have suffered on the Islamic world's stage.

18. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

I misinterpreted the resort meaning there. :eek:

even so,from a terrorist regrouping center (which I am not convinced that it was-before the war,the Iraq-Alqaeda linkage theory stinks) to a terrorist recruitment & deploying center isn't an improvement,could very well be the opposite-whats more they can regroup elsewhere,lots of places to hide-Iran for e.g-so it isnt a big setback for them & hence in no way can be classified as an achievement of the war.

Rik

19. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

The Al-Quaeda/Iraq linkage is as certain as intel can be; just because it can't stand up in court doesn't mean it isn't true (Jacko). Clinton wasn't bombing popsicle stands in the desert (though the postulations that Iraqi intel officers indirectly supported 9/11 have not been proven or supported, because all they have is aliases & anecdotes). Nor were the Baghdad terrorist offices false fronts; the links Saddam had with terrorist groups were well-known and documented.

I'm amazed that your apparently fever-deluded brain imagines that a place where you can refit, rest, train, and take it easy is somehow no better for terrorists than a war zone where you can't necessarily hide in the population. You can sip your margaritas in one case, while a sniper can draw a bead on your arse or you can be precision-bombed in the other. Hiding is one thing - not having to hide, and being able to deploy unseen at will is quite another.

It is a huge setback for the terrorists who used to have Saddam as their patron; now they have to pick between Syria and Iran. Even Lebanon isn't available anymore, since the two big groups there aren't likely to let anyone not in formal alliance with them be.

20. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

There is a video of the Daily Show about Cheney lying about this very issue. It's on the informationclearinghouse.info website but i can't find it because i'm not at home right now.

I'll try to post it later. (It's the link that used to be in Drosselmier's signature.)